Central America & the Caribbean Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- A true “people-to-people” experience with cultural exchanges such as visits with artists, musical performances, and local organizations
- Riding in American Vintage Automobiles (Havana)
- Home of Ernest Hemingway (Havana)
- Cigar Factory (Havana)
- Casa Fuster (Havana)
- Bay of Pigs Museum (Giron)
- Walking Tour of Trinidad
- Bici-Taxi Tour of Camaguey
- Beaches of Guardalavaca (Holguin)
- Meeting Local Fishermen (Gibara)
- Go beyond a biology lesson and immerse yourself in nature, from spotting rare birds in Monteverde to listening for the evocative call of howler monkeys in Manuel Antonio National Park.
- Harvest produce and come together to cook a rustic meal from scratch during a homestay with family in an agricultural community.
- Get active on guided walks through forest and jungle, plus an incredible canopy walk along suspended bridges in Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve.
- Family holidays aren’t always relaxing, but this trip offers plenty of opportunities to take it slow in thermal springs and pools and on beaches.
- End this adventure by hitting Manuel Antonio National Park, where the evergreen forest grows right up to the long, whitExplore e beaches and irresistible water.
- Clear sea perfect for swimming, shacks serving cold cerveza and sandy shores covered in starfish are waiting in the Bocas del Toro, where you spend three nights on Isla Colon.
- Head to the coffee plantations, waterfalls and caldera hot springs of Boquete, a highland town so beautiful you won’t miss the beach one bit.
- Ride some of the region’s best breaks in Santa Catalina. If you'd prefer to stay dry (or horizontal), there's a hammock with your name on it.
- Cycle around the quiet streets of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca with your leader, the best way to get your bearings in this relaxed town.
- Get to know Panama City during a guided stroll along the Cinta Costera right to the city’s salty belly – the Mercado de Mariscos (seafood market).
- Old-world charm, rich history, exciting nightlife – evocative Havana is like nowhere else on Earth. See the difference between city and coastal life on a guided walking tour of the old capital.
- Take inspiration from the locals and mix things up with a bicycle-taxi tour of Camaguey – roll through the winding streets on two-wheels, visiting markets, plazas and an art gallery.
- Experience old-world charm in the colourful coastal town of Trinidad. Delve into the city’s sultry Latin rhythms with a salsa class and enjoy plenty of free time for seaside relaxation.
- Receive a fascinating insight into the rise and fall of the charismatic and highly celebrated Cuban revolutionary – Che Guevara – at his mausoleum and museum in Santa Clara.
- With its vibrant music scene and Afro-Cuban roots, sultry Santiago de Cuba is a great place to bust out some moves and hit the dance floor with the locals.
- Learn some Spanish during an informal lesson in old-world Antigua, then put it to good use during the rest of your Central American adventure.
- Wonder at steep, granite steps that reach into the sky while exploring the temples and monuments of Tikal: the seat of Maya power that mysteriously collapsed in AD950.
- Explore Livingston: a unique riverside town where the local culture is heavily influenced by the Afro-Caribbean Garifuna population.
- Walk along cobblestone streets and shop for local handicrafts in the tiny inland island town of Flores and learn the traditional methods of making tortillas in a small-group workshop.
- Recharge and rejuvenate on the white sands of the Yucatan Peninsula, relaxing in stunning Bacalar and laidback Tulum.
- Discover the English-speaking hub of Belize City – a dynamic hotspot with delicious street food.
- Go wildlife watching in the Crooked Tree Sanctuary, keeping an eye out for the Jabiru storks – the tallest flying bird in Central and South America.
- Uncover the secrets of crystallised skeletons and crumbling palaces near San Ignacio that have been preserved in their natural glory.
- Laze on the sandy shores of Caye Caulker, off the coast of Belize. Swim in the warm waters of the Caribbean and snorkel through shallow reefs and atolls surrounding the cayes.
- With more time on the beach and in the water, take up the opportunity for some optional experiences, including sea kayaking, stand up paddleboarding, or even a manatee tour!
- A guided walking tour of Old Havana sheds lights on the difference between the lives of city and rural life in Cuba
- Take in all the colours and aromas of Soroa, the stunning valley area known as the 'rainbow of Cuba'
- Stroll along the rural dirt roads of Vinales as tractors, vintage cars and horse-drawn carriages pass you by
- A visit to the Che Guevara mausoleum and museum allows you to learn about the iconic Cuban revolutionary in the right context
- Trinidad is a real Cuban treat – step back in time on its old-world streets, then hit some fine palm-flanked beaches
- Marvel at the unique architecture of Palacio del Valle in Cienfuegos
- Try your hand at traditional dance moves with an informal salsa lesson
- Caribbean Caye Caulker is a dreamy place to spend two days with no plans. Munch barbecue lobster? Snorkel around a coral reef? Nap under a palm tree? It’s up to you.
- Hit the streets of Antigua with your leader and climb to a vintage cross lookout for views of the city and the massive volcano that towers over it.
- Get to know contemporary Maya life during a homestay in San Jorge La Laguna, a lakeside village where you can share meals and conversation with a local family.
- Wander between stalls of rainbow-coloured handicrafts, fruits and flowers and get some haggling tips from your leader in Chichicastenango Market.
- Cruise up the Rio Dulce to your waterfront jungle lodge, then maybe grab a beer and relax while the sounds of nature fill the air.
- Swap the concrete jungle for real jungle on this trip into the rainforests, waterways, hot springs and palm-lined beaches of Costa Rica.
- Long-nosed tapirs, white-faced capuchin monkeys, elegant ocelots and three-toed sloths – Costa Rica is home to exotic animals, and this trip puts you in the perfect position to spot them all.
- Go deeper than the average tourist with a homestay in a quiet agricultural community; the perfect opportunity to experience local life and practice your Spanish.
- Refresh after jungle hikes spotting endemic wildlife in the rejuvenating hot springs of volcanic La Fortuna.
- Begin and end your trip in Costa Rica’s lively capital, San Jose, where you’ll see a more urban side of the country.
- Learn the local customs, folklore and beliefs behind Afro-Cuban religion as you’re welcomed into the homes of devoted residents on a colourful and unconventional Urban Adventure in Havana.
- Relish a real garden-to-plate dining experience at a privately-owned organic eco-farm in picturesque Vinales – indulge in a variety of fresh produce all while gazing across sweeping views of the valley.
- Receive a fascinating insight into the rise and fall of the charismatic and highly celebrated Cuban revolutionary Che Guevara at his mausoleum and museum in Santa Clara.
- Experience Cuban hospitality and old-world charm in the coastal town of Trinidad. Wander through cobblestone streets among colourful colonial buildings and relax on the picturesque Playa Ancon.
- Support the Cuban community by staying at privately-owned guesthouses, dining at home-grown restaurants, and gaining insider knowledge into Cuba’s history, thanks to the expertise of local guides.
- Sample fresh Panamanian ceviche at the Mercado de Mariscos.
- Taste the sweet sugarcane juice called guarapa at a sugar mill.
- Immerse yourself in the local culture at dinner featuring a folkloric dance performance.
- Join your guide for a nature walk through the jungle forest.
- Discover the various arts of creating Panamanian hats, masks and dresses.
- Peruse a local handicraft market filled with crafts made by indigenous artisans.
- Enjoy three nights in the heart of Panama City.
- Travel by dugout canoe to an Emberá village to learn about indigenous culture.
- Traverse the Panama Canal through two locks aboard the Pacific Queen.
- Cycle through the culture-soaked streets of Old Havana and immerse yourself in the eclectic history of Cuba’s capital on a half-day walking tour of the city.
- Venture to the village of Vinales, where the small-town charms are many. Spend your time smoking fat cigars with locals and exploring hidden caves in the mountains.
- Learn the lingo with an informal lesson in the Spanish language. From Hola to Hasta Luego to the all-important phrases – like how to order a cerveza!
- See why Trinidad is a favourite for many Intrepid adventurers. Wander the cobblestone streets alongside cowboys and farmers and clock the best-preserved colonial buildings in Cuba.
- Sip on Cuba’s famous liquor on a visit to a local bar for a rum tasting – as far as the rum world is concerned, Cuba is home to some of the best out there!
- Taste for yourself why cacao is called “food of the gods” and observe the process of converting this magical seed from bean to bar.
- Enjoy a traditional Costa Rican dinner.
- Explore a family-owned finca and have a farm-to-table experience, complete with culinary demonstration.
- Learn about Costa Rica’s ecosystem and local culture.
- Visit the world’s first sea turtle research station in Tortuguero National Park.
- Explore Arenal during a captivating 3-night stay.
- Stay in Tortuguero National Park and find yourself surrounded by wildlife.
- Enjoy a 2-night stay just outside of pristine Manuel Antonio National Park.
- Hop aboard a river boat for a jungle crocodile safari and bird watching excursion.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Central America & the Caribbean Experiences
Going snorkeling in the bright blue waters of Belize
Walking among Mayan Pyramids in Tikal, Guatemala
Riding a small boat on the Panama Canal after visiting an indigenous tribe in the rainforest.
Walking around Old Havana, Cuba, to see Hemingway haunts and 1950s-era American cars, still running.
Surfing Central America’s top surf spots
Central America & the Caribbean Trip Reviews
All Central America & the Caribbean tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.4 for all Central America & the Caribbean trips.