Safaris Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Explore the Serengeti National Park in depth – with two early-morning and two late-afternoon game drives through this spectacular wildlife arena, you’ll have the best chance to spot the Big Five.
- Embark on an unforgettable safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open-roof 4WD with your small group for a chance to see the endangered black rhinoceros in full view.
- Learn about the Maasai cultures, and join a local community for a guided afternoon stroll around the farming area of Mto wa Mbu, before enjoying a traditional meal together.
- Swap the safari vehicle for two wheels on a guided biking adventure near Lake Victoria, stopping to shop for local wares and meet townsfolk at the Mwigobero Market.
- Your expert local crew will keep you well informed (and well fed!) – filling you in on all you need to know about the Great Rift Valley and the annual migration of some two million wildebeest.
- Spend the night in a Maasai village to learn about life from community elders, visit a widows’ community and maybe even learn to throw a spear.
- Venture into the incredible Masai Mara National Reserve for a full-day game drive in an open-top 4WD, looking for lions, cheetahs, elephants, giraffes and more.
- An early morning game drive through Lake Nakuru National Park might be your best chance of seeing black and white rhinoceroses in the flesh.
- Take a cooking class in a small village and learn some Kenyan recipes, then share your creations at a camp dinner under the stars.
- You'll be in excellent hands for the duration of your trip, travelling with a crew of three experienced locals – a leader, driver and cook.
- Visit the Victoria Falls Wildlife Trust and learn about the rescue and rehabilitation of wildlife, human-wildlife conflict and anti-poaching efforts.
- Pay the elephants and lions of Hwange National Park a visit in an open-air safari vehicle, stopping along the way for the perfect wildlife photographs.
- Track rhinos on foot with an expert local guide in Matobo National Park – an exhilarating way to experience the wildlife of Zimbabwe.
- Immerse yourself in the ancient culture of the Venda people at a two-night village homestay in South Africa's Limpopo province.
- Marvel at the unforgettable views of Blyde River Canyon. This spectacular gorge is up there with the world's largest and is probably the greenest of the lot.
- Go in search of Africa’s Big Five on an included 4WD game drive, hunting mostly at night, this is the perfect time to search for cats and carnivores.
- Experience the rumble and roar of Victoria Falls from the Zimbabwe side, which gives you the broadest view of its phenomenal torrent.
- Relax knowing you’re in the safe hands of an expert guide and driver, plus enjoy the luxury of a camp assistant to set up your tents and prepare your meals.
- Fall asleep to the sounds of the African wilderness in comfort as camping beds, sleeping bags, blankets and pillows are provided for those nights under the stars.
- Kick-back with a beer and say cheers to your adventure with an included brewery tour in Vic Falls, on the penultimate day of your trip.
- Go on an epic safari with expert local guides in search of lions, hyenas and more through Kruger National Park – one of the largest game reserves in southern Africa.
- Go overland in a purpose built truck and stop to take in geological wonders like Bourke’s Luck Potholes and God’s Window along the Panorama Route.
- Spend a few days however you please on the white-sand beaches of Mozambique’s Ponta Malongane. Snorkel? Sun? Seafood feast? The choice is yours.
- Visit the heartlands of the Zulu people and spend the night in a homestay, where you’ll be treated to traditional food and song, plus a meeting with the local healer.
- Swap four wheels for two legs on a guided hike through the Hlane Royal National Park, keeping an eye out for antelopes and zebras passing by.
- Explore the Serengeti, a wildlife arena like no other, and look for lions, leopards, elephants and giraffes in this iconic park.
- Spend a day with local women in Arusha, learning to prepare a Swahili dish, crafting and learning about village life in Kisongo.
- Take a mind-blowing safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater in an open-roof 4WD vehicle for a chance to see endangered black rhinoceros.
- Embark on a hike through the Usambara Mountains to the Irente viewpoint, then stop at a farm on the way back for a picnic lunch.
- Accompanied by a local crew — a leader, driver and cook – you'll be in excellent hands for the duration of your adventure.
- Encounter roaring lions and magnificent zebra in the famous Serengeti National Park as our small safari vehicles get you close to the action in this spectacular wildlife arena.
- Experience the thrill of camping among nature and drift off to sleep to the sounds of the African night.
- Meet some Maasai Mamas (the name for women artisans in Tanzania) and learn about their village life, including how to prepare a local Swahili dish.
- Take a mind-blowing safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater for a chance to see the endangered black rhinoceros.
- Accompanied by a local crew – a leader, driver and cook – you and your family are in excellent hands for the duration of your adventure.
- Venture into the incredible Masai Mara National Reserve for a full-day game drive
- Make friends with warriors of the Maasai tribe around the camp fire; they'll be on guard for lions while you and your family camp overnight
- Get a taste of Nairobi, an exciting, cosmopolitan city of sterling restaurants, cafes and museums
- Keep your eyes peeled for black and white rhinos on an adventure through Lake Nakuru National Park
- Encounter colourful birds and herds of zebra on a walk around Crater Lake
- You and your family will be in excellent hands for the duration of your trip, travelling with a crew of three experienced locals – a leader, driver and cook
- Get a load of Victoria Falls, an amazing thundering spectacle. Optional activities for those arriving early include white water rafting, canoeing and flying fox rides
- Go wildlife-spotting along the river at Chobe National Park, home of the world's highest concentration of African elephants
- Enjoy some truly unique accommodation in Elephant Sands. Greet elephants as they come to drink from the pool!
- Get familiar with the fine art of 'poling' as you and your family ride a traditional dugout canoe through the waterways of the Okavango Delta
- Camping on a remote island in the heart of the Okavango wilderness is an experience you and your family will never forget. As night falls, the sounds of the African bush are like nothing else
- Support local conservation by visiting the Khama Rhino Sanctuary, the only place left in Botswana where both black and white rhinos reside
- Experience a private game reserve after dark in an open top 4x4 vehicle
- Enjoy traditional South African cuisine while dining under the stars
- Try to spot the Big Five in Kruger National Park on two full day game drives
- Stay in a comfortable safari lodge in a communal setting with friendly hosts
- Take in amazing views at the viewpoint over the awesome Blyde River Canyon and view the Three Rondavels
- Visit Arusha
- Enjoy panoramic views of baobab and acacia trees
- Tarangire on a final morning game drive
- Visit Lake Manyara National Park
- Game drive in the conservancy before driving to the Lake Nakuru area
- Enjoy Kenya’s most famous game area
- Visit Maasai Mara
- Wake up to spectacular views of the forest canopy during a 2-night stay in chalets at buhoma lodge in bwindi impenetrable national park.
- Come face-to-face with rare mountain gorillas on the ultimate wildlife adventure.
- Trek through the world heritage-listed forests of uganda and spend an unforgettable hour in the presence of these majestic, gentle and contemplative creatures.
- Straddle both hemispheres with a visit to uganda’s equator line.
- Discover the diverse animal life, five lakes and impressive landscapes of lake mburo national park.
- Spend an unforgettable night in a small and intimate camp in lake mburo. spacious permanent tents are raised on wooden decks with large bedrooms, en-suite facilities and verandahs overlooking the lake and valley.
- Tarangire National Park, Enjoy your first game drive in safari vehicles
- See the Serengeti National Park is the world’s last great wildlife refuge as it contains an estimated three million large animals
- Explore the Ngorongoro Crater is the largest intact crater in the world
- See the incredible different habitats contain over 30,000 animals – including elephants, warthogs, flamingoes, magnificent birdlife, the rare black rhinoceros and all the predatory cats
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Safaris Experiences
Witnessing the annual migration of 1.3 million wildebeest in East Africa’s Serengeti, one of the great natural wonders of the world.
Going on a gorilla tracking tour in Uganda, Rwanda, and learning about these incredible gentle giants. And feeling the incredible power of their presence as you enter their territory as respectfully as possible.
Watching intently as a pride of lions cross the grasslands within eyeshot of a herd of Thomson’s gazelles on a tour of Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania.
Encountering Maasai tribesmen dressed in traditional red cloaks herding their cattle as wildlife roam nearby.
Checking off the "Big 5" – elephant, rhino, lion, leopard, and Cape buffalo – and many more (giraffe, zebra, cheetah, hippo, etc.) from your life list while on safari in Kruger National Park.
Exploring Botswana’s Okavango Delta, where annual flood waters attract vast numbers of wild animals.
Picnicking at the hippo pool, with a lunch spread out on the hood of your safari vehicle.
Enjoying the view of the savannah from your safari lodge private deck as you sip a glass of South African wine.
Safaris Trip Reviews
9,081 Safaris Tour Reviews - Summary 91% Recommend
All Safari tours and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.5 for all Safaris trips.