Alexander + Roberts vs Ker & Downey - Tour Companies Compared
Compare details and see what other travelers are saying.
Overall — 5
Value — 4.8
Guide — 4.8
Activities — 4.8
Lodging — 4.8
Transportation — 4.8
Meals — 4.8
Overall — 0
Value — 0.0
Guide — 0.0
Activities — 0.0
Lodging — 0.0
Transportation — 0.0
Meals — 0.0
Loved going to the Embera Village.0.0 July 2019
Excellent host and local guides. Got to know that there is more to Panama than the canal. Loved going to the Embera Village.
Tour Alexander + Roberts Company Reviews
Panda's were great0.0 December 2018
The Panda's were great and the overall trip was handled very professionally. The Guides were excellent, and took us right to the Airport, got our tickets for us, no waiting in long lines, they were very knowledgeable about the History of their Province, and on time.Read more
Tour Alexander + Roberts Company Reviews
Melanie Delworth was also very helpful.0.0 December 2018
I just really thought the trip was very good. This was our second Alexander and Roberts trip, and we have been impressed each time. I highly recommend your company to everyone. We love the small group feature, also. As I prepared for this trip, Melanie Delworth was also very helpful.Read more
Tour Alexander + Roberts Company Reviews
|Tours||302 Trips||6 Trips|
|Average Trip Price Per Day||$ 391||$ 0|
|Operator Type||Mixed Land & Cruise||Custom/Private Tour Operator|
|Size||Global Operator||Global Operator|
|Headquarters||Keene, New Hampshire, United States||Katy, Texas, United States|
Founded in 1947, Alexander + Roberts holds the distinction of being one of the oldest guided tour companies around, and a founding member of USTOA. Unlike many tour companies, they focus equally on small group, private group, and customized travel.
What Makes Alexander + Roberts Stand Out
- Historical legacy
- Authentic experiences
- Exotic and classic destinations
- Local guides
- Unique itineraries
Alexander + Roberts has over 70 years of tour experience. In fact, the company was the first to provide guided tours of the former Soviet Union during the Cold War era. Since then, A + R have been pioneers, traveling to new far-flung locations like Burma and Cuba before many other operators.
There can be a tendency for old and established guided travel companies to seem out of touch and stuffy, while also getting unwieldy if they try too hard to adapt to the modern traveler.
Alexander + Roberts has managed to remain firm to their classic yet innovative roots - an old fashioned charm comes across. You’ll find a blend of classic itineraries as well as more unique experiences and themes.
Who Will Enjoy Traveling with Alexander + Roberts?
- Affluent travelers
- 50+ and Seniors
- Active travelers
Alexander + Roberts is a US-based tour operator for the affluent traveler wanting to venture beyond the ordinary in a comfortable manner. A + R is best for those travelers looking for a small-group experience with an added element of luxury. They also offer private journeys, custom itineraries, and fully supported independent travel options.
This is not budget travel by any means. Unlike most tour companies today that don’t require a single supplement, they do (for most tours) at “only $700”. Many activities and meals are included on Alexander + Roberts small group tours.
So if you have more of an independent streak and would like some flexibility but aren’t interested in a private or tailor made trip, you may want to explore other tour companies that provide more free time during the itinerary.
If you’re looking for a professionally planned trip with expertise, luxury, and attention to detail baked into the price then Alexander + Roberts is a good place to start.
A + R offers hundreds of trips on six continents, including Asia, Africa, Europe, the Middle East, and Latin America. They also offer small-ship cruising in the Americas, Antarctica, Asia, and Europe.
Alexander + Roberts Travel Style
- Small groups (16 max)
- Private travel
- Tailor made travel
- Most meals and activities included
Alexander + Roberts purposefully keeps their tour group sizes small - maximum 16, for added flexibility and authenticity. Hotels are a mix of unique local and boutique properties, all with a touch of luxury. Most meals are included on their standard group departures and guides are local, with the in-depth knowledge that comes with it.
Why Choose a Tour with Alexander + Roberts?
If you’re looking for a refined experience that still gets you under the surface of a destination, then Alexander & Roberts could be for you. Their trips are not cheap, but do provide good value with many inclusions and years of experience in the industry.
Luxury small group and private tour operator Ker & Downey has been operating high caliber tours around the world for many years.
What Makes Ker & Downey Stand Out?
Ker & Downey has been a pioneer in offering “experiential luxury travel” around the world, catering to a relatively wide range of budgets (though this is in the luxury end of the spectrum), making luxury travel more accessible. Furthermore, they offer many experiences and activities beyond resort stays.
When you work with a Ker & Downey travel designer, your vacation is truly in your own hands. From adventure travel to high end spas, they can help you plan the perfect trips for your style and budget.
Who Will Enjoy Traveling with Ker & Downey?
The Ker & Downey experience will be most enjoyed by travelers who are looking for a dedicated travel planner and can spend upwards of $1,000/day will be right at home with Ker & Downey. This is best suited to travelers who enjoy private excursions and private access to various attractions, and like having input over their itinerary.
They became known for offering luxury safaris, and even have a seperate company “Ker & Downey Africa” that focuses exclusively on these kinds of experiences. While Africa remains a specialty, Ker & Downey travel planners can design trips all around the world, from Antarctica to the South Pacific. They are experts in going off the beaten path, and finding you unique experiences that you might not have otherwise though possible.
Ker & Downey Travel Style
Because Ker & Downey trips are primarily custom designed, the travel style is really up to you! Trips generally have a luxury feel, and can be planned in a variety of durations and travel styles.
You can generally expect to pay $1,000+ a day on a Ker & Downey designed trip. Accommodations are always top notch, centrally located with ample amenities. Private transportation can be arranged.
The big value add with Ker & Downey is the ability to fully customize an itinerary. To help you narrow down where you want to go and how you want to travel, they offer a mulititude of sample itineraries within some broad themes:
1. Classic Journeys - Quintessential itineraries, great for first time visits. These trips are perfect for travelers interested in hitting all the iconic sites.
2. History and Culture - Similarly, these trips will focus on attractions and sites of historical and cultural importance, providing wonderful and colorful context for visitors.
3. Luxury Safaris - Ker & Downey’s bread and butter, a luxury safari sees you enjoying the rugged yet beautiful landscape with dedicated guides, safe and comfortable lodges, and a glass of champagne at the end of the day.
4. Active Adventure - Never let it be said that luxury is all relaxation. Ker & Downey travel experts can also help you have that adrenaline packed journey you’ve been dreaming about!
5. Romantic Celebrations - Honeymoons and couples getaways are the perfect match for luxury experiential travel.
6. Family Travel - Luxury travel is actually a great niche for families - providing comfortable and easy accommodations, lots of activities, and carefully designed itineraries to make everyone feel included. Because a Ker & Downey expert planner will work with you personally, you don’t need to worry about age limits.
7. Conservation - The perfect opportunity for those travelers interested in helping preserve our planet’s natural resources and habitats. Popular destinations include Borneo, Madagascar, and Rwanda.
8. Philanthropic - If giving back to local communities, volunteering, and ensuring that your tourism dollars make a positive impact is important to you on your travels, Ker & Downey can help design a trip with philanthropy as the focal point.
9. Culinary Journeys - Love food and wine? Want to make sure you visit some true hidden gems and local restaurants utilizing seasonal food, and making traditional dishes? A culinary journey will help you uncover the stories and culture behind various dishes, and maybe even learn to cook them yourself!
10. Wellness Journeys - For finding some inner peace, rest, and rejuvination, consider a wellness journey. Here you’ll enjoy calm - perhaps visiting a yoga retreat, or eco lodge. Popular destinations include Chile and Peru.
Other styles you can look at for inspiration include Multi Country, Horseback Riding, Festivals, and Golf Trips.
Why Choose a Tour with Ker & Downey?
If you enjoy having input over your itinerary and the activities during your travels, but aren’t sure where to start, the experienced travel experts with Ker & Downey will be perfect to help design your trip.
This is a luxury minded brand, so if you are on a tight budget, they might not be the best place to start. However, they can work within a wider range of budgets than other luxury travel brands.
For expert insights and top notch customer service contact Ker & Downey to get started planning your customized getaway.