Madagascar Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Flight & Transport Inclusions
- Witness a spectacular pink and yellow sunset behind towering, 800-year-old trees along the Avenue of the Baobabs in the laid-back seaside town of Morondava.
- Travel along the Tsiribihina River in a traditional barge, stopping to hike to hidden waterfalls, explore remote villages and camp among nature on the banks.
- Trek through a forest of limestone karsts and cross a sheer drop on a suspended bridge at the Great Tsingy, keeping an eye out for native wildlife including 11 species of lemur.
- Float down the meandering Manambolo River in a traditional dugout canoe, wind through a deep gorge and past rocky cliffs, soaking up the tranquil atmosphere.
- Discover the emerald-green waters of Tritiva, an extinct crater surrounded by verdant forest, on a hike through the stunning Antsirabe district.
- Six day tour of Madagascar where you stroll through the white sand beaches of Mauritius
- In Zanzibar, wander through a labyrinth of serpentine alleyways in Stone Town (a world heritage site)
- Witness 32 species of reptiles; and over 100 species of birds,
- Enjoy superb snorkeling at Nosy Hara, a World Wildlife Fund coral marine ecoregion
- Count how many species of lemur you can spot in Isalo, Anadsibe and Ranomafana national parks – so many of the 33 different types will be out and about for you to spot.
- Stay in a cottage deep within the Ranomafana National Park with your small group, surrounded by lush rainforest and countless species of flora and fauna.
- Explore the important Malagasy process of silk production with a visit to local village industries in Ambositra – home to a community of Betsileo people.
- Explore the sandstone formations, deep canyons, palm-lined oases and vast grasslands of Isalo National Park – just some of Madagascar’s varied range of stunning landscapes.
- Chill out at Anakao – an Indian Ocean beachside paradise surrounded by reefs, and consider taking an optional journey to Tsimanampetsotsa National parks for some pink flamingo spotting.
- Discover six types of lemur including the ring-tailed and verraux sifaka.
- Stroll the paths of berenty reserve on your own and delight in the discovery of the fascinating wildlife.
- Enjoy a two-night stay in the berenty lodge in comfortable, authentic accommodation.
- Spend a night overlooking the indian ocean in the former french colony of fort dauphin in your feature stay property
- Enjoy independent, fuss-free travel with all the details taken care of.
- Wander around 800-year-old trees along the Avenue of the Baobabs.
- Cross the Big Tsingy via suspended bridge.
- Float down the meandering Manambolo River on a morning canoe trip.
- Stay in a cottage deep within the Ranomafana National Park, surrounded by lush rainforest and countless species of flora and fauna.
- See how many species of lemur you can spot in Isalo, Andasibe and Ranomafana national parks (there are 33 different types!).
- Chill out at laidback Anakao – this Malagasy seaside village will provide you with plenty of R&R after a massive Madagascar adventure.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Madagascar Experiences
Spotting a ring-tailed lemur or aye-aye on a trek through the rainforest.
Snapping a photo of Madagascar’s incredible baobab trees that look like something Dr. Seuss would dream up.
Catching a chameleon in the act of changing colors in its natural habitat, under the watchful eye of an expert guide.
Searching for rare fluorescent frogs and geckos on night walks from your lodge.
Watching for whales and dolphins off the coastlines.
Staying in secluded jungle lodges either in national parks or private reserves, some reached only by airplane
Relaxing on a beach or snorkeling in Nosy Be, the largest of Madagascar’s offshore islands, known as the “perfume island.”
Taking an excursion to Nosy Komba, an island near Nosy Be, to see black lemurs.
Visiting a bustling market in Antananarivo, Madagascar’s capital city.
Madagascar Trip Reviews
95 Madagascar Tour Reviews - Summary 98% Recommend
All Madagascar tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Madagascar trips.