River Cruises Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Activities & Interests
Attractions & Cities Visited
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Impacted by Climate Change
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Experience the natural wonder of thousands of limestone karsts that rise from the bay on a cruise through this World Heritage site
- Sail back in time with an overnight stay on a traditional-style wooden boat, and awake to the unique misty morning sights of this strange paradise of green waters and rocky islands
- Feast on a sumptuous meal as the boat anchors in the heart of the bay, then take to the deck to see the stars and moon illuminate the water and peaks
- Halong Bay is one of Vietnam’s most iconic sights, and this must-see must be seen on a classic junk cruise
- The greek islands attract hundreds of cruise ships during peak season, but we’re the only ones who offer this mainland circuit. and while the cyclades may have the edge when it comes to beaches, this itinerary has a much stronger historical focus.
- You’ll have an on-board archaeologist with you throughout the trip. they’re the ones who’ll show you around the hilltop citadel of mycenae or zeus’ temple at olympia.
- This cruise ticks off classical greece’s true highlights (delphi, corinth, olympia etc) but also visits some out-of-the-way spots like katakolon and gythion.
- Unlike mega liners, which have to moor offshore, the galileo can dock right in the centre of town. in places like pylos and the gorgeous monemvasia, you take one step off the gangplank and you’re surrounded by bars, markets and restaurants. you can hop on and off the boat as you please.
- Your ship, the m/s galileo, has been recently refurbished in 2016. the interiors are warm and comfortable, and there are three spacious outdoor decks – perfect for reading or catching some sun.
- Explore the historical city of athens on a walking tour with your local leader and let them take the hassle out of navigating this bustling capital.
- Witness the spectacular colours of santorini’s famous sunset bathe the caldera.
- Venture off the tourist trail with a stop in amorgos, where a striking 11th-century monastery built into a cliff offers breathtaking views of the aegean sea.
- Discover the mythology behind one of the most important archaeological sites in greece, delos, and let a local guide give you a fascinating insight into its history.
- Board a traditional vessel and sail up along the spectacular neretva river, inland from opuzen.
- The trip includes an excursion to krka national park, where you’ll get a chance to swim in secluded pools and beneath waterfalls.
- If you’re worried about long cruise days, this itinerary is a good choice. there are plenty of excursions, short walks and port stops, and the distance between islands is short.
- While large cruise liners have to moor out at sea and commute into shore via tender, we drop anchor in the middle of port towns like hvar or korcula. you can hop on or off the boat as you please.
- There’s nothing like diving into the aquamarine waters of the dalmatian coast. weather permitting, our captain will be stopping the ship for regular swim breaks during the trip.
- This itinerary includes a special detour to mostar, in boznia and herzegovina. it’s not a stop featured on many croatian coastal tours. you’ll see the town’s iconic bridge and have the chance to chat with local craftsmen and metalworkers.
Begin your trip in the thrilling, vibrant city of Rio de Janeiro! Explore where the city meets the sea, mountains and jungle.
Visit two of Rio's iconic sites in one tour: Corcovado (home to Christ the Redeemer) and Sugarloaf Mountain.
Stand in awe as you experience one of the world's most incredible natural wonders - Iguassu Falls!
Board a 4-star cruise ship for a 3-night tour of the Amazon River, the longest and largest river in the world!
Enjoy canoe excursions, jungle hikes, piranha fishing, bird/wildlife spotting and more in the Amazon.
- Visit the stunning kornati national park, the biggest and most incredible collection of islands in the entire adriatic sea.
- Eat and drink like dalmatian royalty – visit one of croatia’s finest wineries then enjoy a traditional feast in a small village outside sibenik, renowned for its smoked ham.
- Experience the sea organ in zadar, an incredible marriage of acoustical engineering and historical art – appreciate the ambience of this masterpiece with a glass of sparkling wine at sunset.
- Wander through picturesque coastal villages and quaint towns that are brimming with buildings left by various conquerors of the dalmatian region.
- Explore the beauty of plitivice lakes national park on a leisurely guided hike with your leader, the ideal way to experience this unesco-listed world heritage wonder.
- Take in the natural beauty of the algarve coast, with its jagged coastline cut with caves and grottoes.
- Spice things up in seville, a melting pot of moorish and christian influences and the home of flamenco.
- Immerse yourself in the blue-washed buildings of chefchaouen.
- Spend the afternoon in a family run bodega enjoying a local lunch and wine tastings
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top River Cruises Experiences
Wine tasting along the Rhine River
Cruising down the Nile River through the sites of ancient Egypt
Exploring Normandy’s WWII history on the Seine River
Experiencing Vietnam’s culture on the Mekong River
Taking an Amazon River cruise, encountering old ruins and unbelievable wildlife
River Cruises Trip Reviews
290 River Cruises Tour Reviews - Summary 95% Recommend
All River Cruises and packages. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all River Cruises trips.