River Cruises Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Retreats Similar to a self guided tour but staying in one location only with activities and day outings included as a part of the stay.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Cairo Sightseeing Tour, including the Great Pyramids, Sphinx, Egyptian Museum & Khan El-Khalili Bazaar (full-day, with lunch)
- Guided tour of Karnak Temple and Temple of Luxor (half-day)
- Guided tour of the West Bank, including Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut Temple, Colossi of Memnon
- Guided tour of The Temple of Horus (Edfu) and Kom Ombo Temple (Sobek)
- Experience the natural wonder of thousands of limestone karsts that rise from the bay on a cruise through this World Heritage site
- Sail back in time with an overnight stay on a traditional-style wooden boat, and awake to the unique misty morning sights of this strange paradise of green waters and rocky islands
- Feast on a sumptuous meal as the boat anchors in the heart of the bay, then take to the deck to see the stars and moon illuminate the water and peaks
- Halong Bay is one of Vietnam’s most iconic sights, and this must-see must be seen on a classic junk cruise
- Cruise into the hidden world of the blue cave, the eerily illuminated grotto that lies off bisevo island.
- Tour the honeycomb underground tunnels of vis, created to service the secret comings and goings of the yugoslav military presence that left following croat independence.
- Sip and swish croat varietals during a wine tasting at a local winery on lastovo, a small island were few tourists venture.
- Escape the crowds and get back to nature in mljet national park, where among the evergreen forest and turquoise lakes there are quiet ruins.
- Even though this trip is about under-touristed wonders, we still fit in a tour of the famed city walls of dubrovnik’s old town.
- It’s no exaggeration to say the beaches here are some of the most beautiful in the world. our small ship allows us to drop anchor beside uninhabited islands and swim in bays the big cruise liners can’t reach.
- We’ll make a stop at the stunning anse source d’argent on la dique – it’s consistently rated as one of the best beaches in the world.
- While bigger cruise liners have to moor out at sea and commute into shore via tender, we’ll drop anchor in the middle of port towns like mahe, and la digue. you can hop on or off the boat as you please.
- The seychelles are mainly known for their resorts, but this trip visits far-flung islands like aride. short distances between the islands also mean less time cruising, usually for no more than 3-4 hours at a stretch.
- Your boat comes fully equipped with kayaks and snorkelling equipment to take advantage of the crystal clear waters.
- Get the perfect opportunity to take pleasure in the wildlife and birdlife
- Enjoy the incredible relaxing experience of cruising on the Chobe River
- Awesome view of magnificent Victoria Falls
- Cherish brilliant safari experience
- See the fascinating Great Pyramids of Giza
- Opportunity to visit 4 amazing UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- Experience 4-night Nile River cruise
- Explore Cairo
- Take an excursion to krka national park, where you’ll get a chance to swim in secluded pools and beneath waterfalls.
- Board a traditional wooden vessel and sail up along the spectacular neretva river to bosnia and herzegovina, allowing you to explore the beautiful town of mostar.
- With plenty of excursions, short walks and port stops, you’ll spend more time exploring the beautiful croatian coast and less time on the ship.
- Enjoy the benefits of small-ship cruising by dropping anchor in the middle of port towns like hvar or korcula, allowing you to hop on or off the boat as you please.
- Dive into the aquamarine waters of the dalmatian coast – your captain will be stopping the ship to allow you to enjoy swim breaks in between port stops.
- This itinerary is a little special: unlike most croatia cruises, it also includes stops in albania, montenegro and greece. you’re getting four countries in eight days.
- We’ll sail as far south as corfu, the ‘grand lady’ of the ionian islands and the greenest island in all of greece. take a short walk through the unesco heritage city centre.
- While large cruise liners have to moor out at sea and commute into shore via tender, we drop anchor in the middle of port towns like saranda or korcula. you can hop on or off the boat as you please.
- There’s nothing like diving into the aquamarine waters of the adriatic coast. weather permitting, our captain will be stopping the ship for regular swim breaks during the trip, particularly around bar and kotor.
- This itinerary includes a special trip to saranda on the albanian riviera. we’ve also organised an optional excursion to the archaeological site of butrint on the straits of corfu.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top River Cruises Experiences
Wine tasting along the Rhine River
Cruising down the Nile River through the sites of ancient Egypt
Exploring Normandy’s WWII history on the Seine River
Experiencing Vietnam’s culture on the Mekong River
Taking an Amazon River cruise, encountering old ruins and unbelievable wildlife
River Cruises Trip Reviews
290 River Cruises Tour Reviews - Summary 95% Recommend
All River Cruises and packages. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all River Cruises trips.