Trekking & Expeditions Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Summit the highest peak in North Africa, Mt Toubkal, and enjoy morning views over the Atlas Mountains and rural Morocco.
- Hike through the rugged mountains with spectacular scenery at every turn and a trusty pack of mules heading up your crew.
- Experience life in an Amazigh (Berber) village during a stay in an Atlas Mountains village, complete with accommodation in a gite.
- Embrace the vibrant souqs, sights, sounds and smells of Marrakech on a guided walking tour of the Medina and visit to Bahia Palace.
- Plenty of free time and optional extras in Marrakech mean you can explore this vibrant city at your own pace.
- Trek the famous Kokoda Track the ethical way. We partner with a local cooperative that ensures local communities benefit directly from your visit.
- Hear incredible tales of wartime courage from the local historian in Brigade Hill and meet a surviving PNG war carrier who aided wounded soldiers.
- Hike up the arid spines of mountains and through valleys of lush rainforest, stopping to cool off in pristine rivers along the way.
- Meet the people who live in this region, learn about the local cultures and contribute to these small and remote communities.
- Trek every step with a personal porter, trekking leader and crew – all locals – to ensure that you have the best experience possible while supporting employment in the region.
- Ascend to the clouds and reach an altitude of 5416 metres as you cross the Thorung La Pass along the Annapurna Circuit. Testing your mind and body, this is one hell of an accomplishment.
- Uncover a different side of the Himalayas, trekking past terraced rice fields, oak and rhododendron forests, there’s a diverse array of nature that awaits in the Annapurna region.
- Learn about life in Nepalese mountain communities, get to know locals and meet other trekkers while you stay in teahouses in the small communities along the way.
- Discover Nepal’s compact capital in Kathmandu. With a limited amount of time spent here to discover its bazaars and temples, why not extend your stay beforehand to get a real feel of Nepalese culture.
- Spend time in the peaceful haven of Pokhara after your trek has finished. Relax with your small group on the banks of Phewa Lake and take in the mountainous surrounds that you have conquered!
- Sleep in mountain huts during your trek and enjoy an included acclimatisation day at Horombo Hut to give you the best chance of reaching the summit.
- Travelling with experienced guides – the best on the mountain – plus trained porters, you'll be in good hands, with one guide for every two trekkers.
- Passing through vast grasslands, giant cacti fields and alpine meadows, all against dramatic mountain backdrops, the Marangu Route is popular for good reason.
- Hike Kilimanjaro's climactic last stretch by lamplight and give yourself as much chance as possible to watch a sunrise over icefields from behind Africa’s highest peak.
- We’re an official partner with the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project. Hike easier knowing that while our porters are taking care of you, there’s someone looking out for them.
- Spend your time immersing yourself into the tranquil lifestyle of Lake Como and Garda – admiring the views, getting active by the lake, and indulging in regional food and wine.
- Explore the beautiful villages, estates and gardens dotted around Lake Como, meandering the lake by ferry. Feel the fanciful vibe on the grounds of Bellagio's grand Villa Melzi, then see the shore from a kayak.
- Leave your bags at Milan’s central station and explore the wonders and urban history of this magical city while in transit between Como and Garda.
- Consider the option of taking a cable car up Monte Baldo – with varying degrees of mountain hikes available, or just to sit at the mountaintop restaurant for lunch, this experience gets you sky high above Garda.
- Have plenty of free time lakeside in Garda, perhaps taking up one of the water sports on offer or visiting nearby wineries in the Bardolino region.
- Witness Argentina’s Perito Moreno Glacier and listen to the thundering ice cracking on this 30-km-long ice beast – one of the few glaciers left that isn’t shrinking.
- Spend three days camped among the peaks of Chilean Patagonia, a true back-to-nature and a great opportunity for a true digital detox.
- Trek past the most beautiful waterfalls and glaciers of Torres del Paine National Park with your guide, and spot wildlife like guanacos and rhea birds along the way.
- Spot sea lions paying along rocky shores, waddling penguins and plenty of flying seabirds during a day cruise through the Beagle Channel, the gateway to the Antarctic.
- Begin and end your trip with time in elegant Buenos Aires, the perfect place to reconnect with the urban world after a remote adventure in the wild.
- Discover the best of southern and central Australia on an epic road trip. Like a true Australian drover, spend your nights camping in a swag under the southern sky.
- Visit the opal-mining outpost of Coober Pedy, where scorching daytime temperatures have driven the town’s few residents to live underground.
- See the best of Australia’s iconic Red Centre on guided walks around Uluru, Kings Canyon and the ancient red domes of Kata Tjuja.
- Journey into the heart of the stunning Flinders Ranges and take an easy hike around Wilpena Pound, a natural amphitheatre of rocky mountains.
- 'Noodle' for opals, hang out with some rescued joeys and spend the night in a subterranean bunker in the Outback town of Coober Pedy.
- Cycle off the main streets and into the heart and soul of Bangkok with a backstreets bike tour
- Even the transport on this trip is an adventure – travel like the locals on an overnight sleeper train, a real Intrepid experience and a great chance to interact with the Thai people
- Get the heart pumping on a 3 day trek through scenic and enlightening northern hilltribe villages, and experience rural Thai life from a local's perspective with two nights in village homestays
- Explore areas of Chiang Mai rarely seen by visitors with 2 days cycling through local neighbourhoods, discovering everyday Thai life that thrives in the backstreets
- Uncover a different side to the River Kwai with 2 days peaceful kayaking down its waters, through tropical forest and with beautiful mountain views
- Dazzling cliff-side houses and an impossible coastal location make Cinque Terre one of the world's most romantic destinations
- Adventure through the area's most scenic trails on foot and by bike, including parts of the classic coastal route, all under expert local guidance. Take to the water on a kayak trip to secluded beaches
- If you'd rather spend more time relaxing on the beach, there's flexibility in some places to take a train instead of hike
- Enjoy delicious meals overlooking spectacular cliffs, colourful villages and sparkling seas
- Discover a swathe of medieval marvels, such as the castle and churches of Levanto and the Abbey of San Fruttuoso
- In addition to immense rugged mountains, witness everything from still alpine lakes and glacial plains to frothy rivers and valleys covered in pink blossoms, depending on the season.
- A trek like this is the bonding experience of a lifetime and the genuine comradery formed between members of your small group will stay with your forever.
- Get your first glimpses of the mighty Himalayan range on the included flight from Kathmandu to Lukla – the famous airport in the sky.
- Hike with an experienced and passionate English-speaking local leader as well as a team of guides and porters who will introduce you to rich Sherpa culture.
- We partner with local mountaineering and porter welfare programs, so you can trek easier knowing that while our porters are taking care of you, there’s someone looking out for them.
- Read our comprehensive guide on trekking in the Everest region here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/theme/walking/everest-base-camp-trek
- Trek through lush jungles and discover the rich underwater ecosystem and pristine reefs of the Solomon Islands with guided visits to Tetepare and Hopei islands.
- Join locals at a community day, or 'bung'. You’ll attend a church service and sit down for a feast, for firsthand experience of traditional customs and the local way of life in Titiru village.
- Learn the history of what’s known as Kennedy Island – once a secondary wartime base for US President John F Kennedy and now a far-flung paradise of rainforests and colourful coral.
- Meet Barnie Paulsen, a local man who has spent years collecting memorabilia in the jungle. Visit Barnie's backyard 'museum' full of wartime relics while he regales you with local stories.
- Take the rare opportunity to visit the skull trophies at Lola Island, more commonly called Skull Island, and learn the head-hunting histories of the Solomon Island’s tribal culture.
- Discover the natural and historical beauty of northern section of Borneo in the Malaysian state of Sabah, and understand why this one of the original and best-selling Intrepid adventures.
- Climb Mt Kinabalu – the literal pinnacle of all treks in South East Asia – with local guides whose families have trekked the mountain for generations, witnessing a stunning sunrise after a morning hike.
- Spend time getting to know the unique wildlife of Borneo at conservation sanctuaries for orangutans, proboscis monkeys and sun bears.
- Witness the special life cycle of sea turtles coming ashore on Turtle Island to lay their eggs on the beach, with the hatchlings making a dash down the beach to their new life.
- Cruise down the Kinabatangan River and search for wildlife in this rich and unique jungle ecosystem – if you’re lucky, you may spot wild pygmy elephants!
- Naples is the perfect place to make discoveries. Perhaps descend below Naples’ streets to discover the famous catacombs, before indulging in a traditional pizza in one Naples' many eateries. Buon appetito!
- The ancient Roman town of Pompeii has been frozen in time under the shadow of the very volcano which destroyed it, Mount Vesuvius. Explore the vast ruins, including the House of the Faun and the Temple of Apollo, then ascend the volcano and explore hidden sulphuric vents with a specialist volcanology guide.
- Walk the Path of the Gods along the spectacular Sentiero degli Dei, one of the most scenic trails in the world
- Descend into the mysterious Valley of the Mills, where the canopy keeps the temperature pleasant throughout the summer months
- The island of Capri isn't just a lavish retreat for Roman emperors of the past and their modern day equivalents. Powerful cliff faces enclose secluded coves, grottos and spectacular Mediterranean scenery
- Size up mighty Mt Kilimanjaro from the lush tropical surrounds of Marangu, as you prepare to ascend the incredible mountain with the help of an experienced climber.
- Travel with experienced guides and porters. You'll be in great hands – with one guide for every two passengers – so all you’ll have to worry about is soaking up the scenery and keeping your footing!
- Kilimanjaro’s changing scenery – magnificent rainforests and high-alpine deserts to ice fields and vast glaciers – is all on display as you tackle the trails to the top of Africa.
- Catch a dazzling African sunrise from Stella Point on your way to summit Africa's highest mountain peak – definitely a rewarding experience after an early wake-up call!
- Feel good knowing that you’re supporting an official partner of IMEC’s Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project (KPAP). This means that all of our climbs have been assessed and scored based on a number of criteria, all of which are designed to ensure the proper treatment of porters.
- Discover Western Australia’s desert landscapes, national parks and sublime Coral Coast in rugged style on the ultimate small group overland adventure.
- Enjoy the flexibility of a private vehicle, the expert knowledge of a passionate local guide and the magic of camping under the stars – what’s not to love about the land of Aus?
- Why not check out the underwater aquarium of Ningaloo Reef by plane, glass-bottom boat or snorkel, and season depending, swim with the gentle giants of the deep – whalesharks!
- Pilbara’s cattle stations, red earth and mining communities are reminiscent of the sun-baked Australia much of the world imagines, and you’ll get to see it all firsthand.
- Trek the trails of Karinjini National Park, weaving through its rocky gorges, and reward your efforts by taking a swim in the park’s ancient waterholes. This is living.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Trekking & Expeditions Experiences
Taking a classic Inca trail trek to Machu Picchu, or using one of the lesser known routes
Camping under millions of bright stars while on safari in Africa
Trekking in Patagonia and marveling at incredible geological structures
Trekking up to Everest Base Camp in Nepal
Walking the Milford track in picturesque New Zealand
Trekking the Kalaw, Shan state in Myanmar
Trekking to the Lost City Ciudad Perdida
Trekking & Expeditions Trip Reviews
6,829 Trekking & Expeditions Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
All Trekking & Expeditions tours, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Trekking & Expeditions trips.