Adventure Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Retreats Similar to a self guided tour but staying in one location only with activities and day outings included as a part of the stay.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Enjoy a sake tasting at a local sake brewery followed by a Hida beef dinner.
- Experience a traditional kaiseki dinner with geisha show in Kyoto.
- Participate in a sushi-making class.
- Try your hand at the centuries-old art of the Japanese tea ceremony, gold leaf decorating and stenciling.
- Travel by the famous Shinkansen bullet train.
- Explore the famous Ginza District, the first Western-style shopping district in Japan where modern and history blends.
- Visit multiple UNESCO sites including Shirakawa-go, Nijo Castle, Itsukushima Shinto Shrine and Hiroshima Peace Memorial.
- Visit Fushimi Inari Taisha, made famous by the movie Memoirs of a Geisha.
- Explore Takayama’s beautiful old town, nestled in the Japanese Alps.
- Experience a chuck wagon dinner and cowboy entertainment.
- Discover a world of color and light on a breakfast cruise on Lake Powell.
- Explore the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, a tribute to Buffalo Bill Cody.
- Meet Native Americans and discuss their unique and colorful culture.
- Make yourself at home with a 2-night stay in Denver, the "Mile High City."
- Spend a night at the spectacular Grand Canyon.
- Visit Yellowstone National Park, home to the famous Old Faithful Geyser.
- See one of the country's most famous landmarks, Mount Rushmore.
- Visit Hanoi
- Embark on your three-day cruise on the World Heritage-listed Ha Long Bay
- Visit the Cua Van Floating Culture Centre
- Visit the temple of Wat Preah Prom Rath
- Discover Melbourne
- See the Sights of Alice Springs
- Royal Flying Doctor Service
- School of the Air
- Telegraph Station
- Uluru (Ayers Rock) Sunrise
- Walk through Walpa Gorge
- Kata Tjuta (the Olgas)
- Australian Barbecue Dinner
- Explore Cairns Wildlife Dome
- Great Barrier Reef
- See Coral and Fish on the Reef
- You've never seen true colour until you've been to a Mexican market. Practice your bargaining skills, snap some photos and pick up traditional handicrafts at the markets in Mexico City and Puebla.
- Eat your way through arty Oaxaca at its many market vendors and authentic restaurants – mole poblano and mezcal for dinner? Delicioso!
- Escape the Mexican heat in the highlands of San Cristobal de las Casas. This town is surrounded by indigenous villages where traditional customs and roots are thriving.
- Chichen Itza is one the New Seven Wonders of the World. It's not hard to see why – strolling around the ancient Maya ruins feels pretty wondrous.
- Cool off with a swim in the waters of Agua Azul, a series of waterfalls named for their stunning blue colour.
- Explore the remote northern reaches of Albania and take one of the world’s best boat trips with a cruise through the mountainous corridors of Lake Koman
- Experience daily life in the Valbona Valley with a stay at a local guesthouse. Clink glasses with the locals in the village and hike the rugged valley passes.
- Sail across the blue waters of Lake Ohrid, one of Europe's oldest lakes. No wonder North Macedonia and Albania share this beautiful attraction – nobody would want to let it go.
- Kososvo is rich in history and contrasts. Step back in time and learn about the infamous Battle of Kosovo on a day trip to the Field of Blackbirds, before embracing the modern culture thriving in Prishtina, Europe’s youngest capital.
- Lose yourself in Tirana, the Albanian capital full of a revitalised urban energy, and partake in the local's favourite pastime: drinking coffee and people-watching.
- Explore Copenhagen like a local and hop on a bike. There is no better way to see the major sites, as well as explore hidden corners of this beautiful city.
- Don't miss Gothenburg's Haga district, with its picturesque wooden houses and the iconic Skansen Kronan, as well as laid-back Langgatan street.
- Take a ferry to Vrango Island, a stunning fishing town in the Gothenburg Archipelago, and discover this rocky nature haven by kayak (summer months only).
- Admire the World Heritage-listed architecture of Dubrovnik and Montenegro’s Kotor, climbing along their ancient city walls.
- Loose yourself in Tirana, Albania's colourful capital, and partake in the local's favourite pastime: drinking coffee and people-watching.
- Sail across the blue waters of Lake Ohrid – one of Europe's oldest lakes. No wonder North Macedonia and Albania share this beautiful attraction; nobody would want to let it go!
- Explore the endemic flora and fauna on an easy hike of Pelister: North Macedonia’s oldest national park.
- Hike the slopes of Mt Olympus, the ancient seat of the 12 Greek gods. According to mythology Zeus unleashed his thunderbolts from one of Olympus' peaks.
- Keep your eye out for kangaroos on your way to a cheese, chocolate and wine-filled lunch in the chilled-out Hunter Valley – a picturesque region in the rural hills of New South Wales.
- Soak up the beachside vibes of Byron Bay with a free day in this surfer’s haven. Go for a dip in the ocean, listen to buskers by the beach, join a yoga class or just hang loose in a quirky cafe – it’s a hard life!
- Set sail along the azure waters of Port Macquarie on an incredible sunset cruise. Keep an eagle eye out for local pods of dolphins as you enjoy the perfect end to a scenic day.
- Get in touch with Australia’s wilderness and wildlife. Meet cute and cuddly koalas at an animal hospital and explore rainforest and waterfalls in Dorrigo National Park.
- Enjoy amazing local food including a 'farm to plate' experience in beautiful Byron Bay. Head out and collect local ingredients before indulging in a healthy and delicious dinner.
- Experience local life during homestays in the Mekong Delta and Da Bac. Get to know local families, participate in their activities and enjoy a homestyle meal.
- Travel to both popular and lesser-known destinations in Vietnam, including tourist hotspots like Halong Bay and hidden gems such as Da Bac
- See Vietnam through an exciting mix of transport, including motorbike, sampan, junk-style boat, bus and train
- Visit the mind-boggling Phong Nha and Thien Duong Caves. These labyrinthine systems were used to shelter civilians during the Vietnam/American War
- Spend a day in Hue, touring the city's sights on a motorbike and eating lunch at a serene nunnery
- Wander the fossilised coral formations of Hang Rai, which sometimes appear to float on the water
- Admire the World Heritage-listed architecture of Dubrovnik and Montenegro’s Kotor, climbing along their ancient city walls
- Lose yourself in Tirana, Albania's colourful capital, and partake in the local's favourite pastime: coffee-drinking and people-watching
- Sail across the blue waters of Lake Ohrid, one of Europe's oldest lakes. No wonder North Macedonia and Albania share this beautiful attraction – nobody would want to let it go
- Sitting alongside its Ottoman past, the North Macedonian capital of Skopje has reinvented its centre with gleaming neo-classical monuments and buildings, adding a new layer to this fascinating city
- From flashy Las Vegas to the arid desert of Zion National Park and the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon, you will discover a range of American landscapes at your own pace.
- Admire the oasis of Emerald Pools during a hike past waterfalls and lush vegetation in Utah’s Zion National Park.
- Ride a jeep through Utah's iconic Monument Valley, and then share stories and a meal by the campfire with members of Navajo Nation.
- Be left gobsmacked by the steep red-rock escarpments and gorges of the Grand Canyon, experiencing a bird’s eye view of the park with an optional unforgettable helicopter adventure.
- Explore a city that’s home to dreamers, fortune seekers, and celebrities in the City of Angels: Los Angeles.
- Drive across frozen plains and past massive peaks, walk across remote tundras to glacial rivers and canoe in the spectacular waters of Prince William Sound.
- Go deep into the wild and experience unforgettable scenery on a camping adventure, staying closer than ever before to the mountains and glaciers.
- Denali National Park is home to an abundance of native wildlife. Visit the park for a unique safari experience to see moose, caribou, grizzly bears, Dall sheep and wolves in their natural habitat.
- Get close to sea otters, puffins and humpback whales on an optional kayaking trip in Valdez. You might even see bald eagles in the sky above!
- See North America's biggest collection of glaciers and some of its tallest and most impressive mountains on your tour of the Wrangell-St Elias National Park.
- Be welcomed to Whakarewarewa by the Maori people who have lived there for over 700 years and wonder at the area’s steaming Te Puia geysers, bubbling mud pits and lakes.
- Feel the rush of Huka Falls, where a 100-metre-wide river is forced through a narrow volcanic chamber, causing a torrent of incredible speed.
- Explore the Abel Tasman National Park independently or on an optional tour, hiking through thick native forest and emerging on deserted sandy beaches.
- Choose to join the group for a full-day trek over the Tongariro Alpine Crossing, hiking past aqua coloured lakes, craters and volcanos.
- Cruise in between green islands Marlborough Sounds, where the hilly islands were once towering mountains and the channels were once dry valleys.
- Take a cruise on stunning Lake Ohrid – which straddles the mountainous border between Macedonia and Albania – and watch shorefront villages stream by.
- Albania's pastel-coloured capital Tirana is on the verge of becoming Europe’s next big thing, so pay it a visit before the rest of the world does.
- Head to a remote village outside Syros for a sunset feast of local specialties, all served up in a small taverna that overlooks the Aegean Sea.
- Spend a half-day exploring the ruins that decorate the island of Delos, a living museum of crumbling palaces, columns and statues.
- Take a hike around the rim of the caldera Santorini is built on, walking through little villages, passing steep cliff faces and taking in breathtaking views.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Adventure Experiences
Enjoying intense winter sports in Finland
Taking a long zip-line in Costa Rica through forests eye level with monkeys and tropical birds
Touring the incredible diverse landscapes of Iceland
Hiking historic trails to Machu Picchu
Trekking to Everest Base Camp in Nepal
Enjoying the thrill of a white water rafting trip on the Colorado River
Exploring the amazing Alpine Mountains in France and Switzerland
Jumping off a bridge in New Zealand attached to a bungee cord!
Adventure Trip Reviews
15,927 Adventure Tour Reviews - Summary 96% Recommend
All Adventure tours, river cruises, and expedition cruises. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Adventure trips.