Birding Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Gloriously laid-back with effortlessly chic cottages, Petit St Vincent is understated yet exceptionally refined.
- It's the kind of place where the attentive but low-key service ensures you'll want for nothing yet feel totally at home.
- A small private island with guests who return year after year, Petit St Vincent is the ultimate Caribbean escape. Beautiful cottages equipped with luxurious facilities nestle in secluded locations on hillsides, cliffs and beachfronts.
- Lovely coves with golden sand beaches alternate with rocky headlands and forest.
- Everything here is done in a luxurious but very tasteful, restrained fashion.
- Service is impeccable with staff roaming the island and a discreet flag system to let them know if you require their services or wish to be left alone.
- There are no phones, TVs or internet except in the main lodge so you switch off entirely and enjoy the sea breeze and panoramic views.
- Alternatively you can join a yoga class or test the fitness trail, go snorkeling off the beach or try diving, sailing or kayaking.
- The food here is sublime with ingredients from the organic garden and two restaurants to choose from, although many guests choose to dine in their beautiful cottages.
- There are 22 open-plan cottages scattered around the island, each out of sight of the next.
- Built from native stone and wood with floor-to-ceiling sliding windows, soft color schemes and contemporary decor, they offer complete peace and tranquility.
- Carefully step past sleeping sea lions on a pristine beach.
- See the famous Galapagos giant tortoises at close quarters.
- Spot marine iguanas, land iguanas and a feast of fearless birdlife.
- Explore the old town of Quito, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Enjoy a quieter safari outside of the peak season when visitor numbers are lower.
- Search for rhino in Lake Nakuru National Park.
- Explore the open plains of the Masai Mara in search of Africa's big cats.
- Relax on the idyllic beaches of Zanzibar.
- Search for the resplendent quetzal and other birdlife in the cool Costa Rican cloud forest.
- Get up close to the perfectly conical Volcan Arenal.
- Undertake zip-lining, white water rafting as well as other activities around Arenal.
- Relax on a beautiful Pacific beach.
- Discover the small, friendly island of Nevis.
- Staying at a charming resort set in the ruins of an historic sugar plantation before heading to the golden sands of beautiful Antigua.
- Visit Tortuguero Village
- See the Arenal Volcano
- Explore Monteverde Cloud Forest
- Visit to Curi-Cancha Forest Reserve
- See the Oxcart Factory in Sarchi
- Enjoy the full excursion on Galapagos Island Hopping
- Explore The Equator and experience the Intiñan Museum
- Visit the old town and see the Church of San Francisco
- Stay at Finch Bay Hotel (Galapagos), one of National Geographic’s “Unique Lodges of the Wor
- Explore the highlands of the Santa Cruz
- Search for abundant wildlife on a Yala National Park expedition, which boasts Asia’s largest concentration of leopards, along with Asian elephants, spotted deer, and over 200 species of birds.
- A hallmark of any Sri Lanka tour, discover the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Sigiriya, an ancient palace and fortress built atop a huge granite monolith; the monumental ruins in Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka’s medieval capital; and the Temple of the Tooth in Kandy, a significant site of pilgrimage for Buddhists.
- Enjoy whale-watching cruises off the southern coast, one of the best places in the world to view blue whales.
- Explore Sinharaja, a vast tropical rain forest that is home to over half of Sri Lanka’s endemic species of flora and fauna.
- Stay in a variety of superb accommodations throughout your Sri Lanka adventure travels—from beach-side resorts and colonial-era mansions to world-class game lodges offering splendid vistas of the surrounding wilderness.
- Enjoy game drive in Chobe National Park, the second-largest (and first-established) national park in the country.
- Visitors have experienced the spectacular sighting of a zebra migration
- Chance to see magnificent elephants, in addition to zebra, Cape buffalo, hippo, and crocodile.
- See a variety of birdlife, including the vibrantly plumed lilac-breasted roller and the similarly striking pygmy goose (actually a species of duck).
- See herds of buffalo, sable antelope, kudu, and elephant.
- Enjoy viewing the greatest diversity of mammals in Zambia, with 55 large mammal species, including six varieties of large cat
- Enjoying Kafue River views at leisure
- Outstanding area of African bush country boasts plentiful wildlife
- Enjoy a walk through Chinotimba township
- Visit the largest curtain of water in the world
- Snorkel with sea lions, marine iguanas and sea turtles, walk among giant Galapagos tortoises, and see one of the largest bird populations on Genovesa Island
- Explore volcanic islands, visit the Charles Darwin Research Station and Zodiac cruise through the Black Turtle Cove mangroves
- Enjoy this journey on its own, or as part of an epic adventure combined with an Antarctic Explorer expedition
- Visit two medieval cities, Zürich and Bern, both laced with history.
- Head to the Top of Europe at Jungfraujoch to admire the Bernese Alps.
- Visit a traditional cheesemaker to learn how Emmental gets its holes.
- Ride the world’s steepest cogwheel train to the top of Pilatus Kulm.
- Journey on the GoldenPass panoramic train through some of Switzerland’s most inspiring scenery.
- Search for wild dog, lion, elephant and buffalo on game drives in Selous Game Reserve.
- Enjoy a sunset boat trip along the Rufiji River, looking out for hippo, crocodiles and waders.
- Follow animal tracks and learn about smaller wildlife species on guided bush walks.
- Relax on the white sandy beaches of Zanzibar and explore the island’s spice farms.
- Visit the Sri Siva Subramaniya Swami Temple, the largest Hindu Temple outside of India.
- Snorkel in the pristine waters of the Mamanuca Islands.
- Visit a Fijian village.
- Experience a Kava Ceremony.
- Hike to the waterfalls on Taveuni.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Birding Experiences
Watching the magical and extensive bird migration in Cape May
Marveling at the brilliantly colored lilac breasted rollers and hundreds of other species in Kruger National Park
Listening to the trill and zings of Hummingbirds in Pichincha
Visiting Voto Donana National Park and excitedly adding rare species of birds to your life list
Staying in an eco-lodge in Costa Rica and waking up to the sound of myriads of tropical birds
Patiently searching for -- and at long last, finding! -- the elusive bee hummingbird in Cuba
Learning about bird-banding and mist-netting techniques in Point Reyes National Seashore visitor center
Observing Galapagos finches and blue footed boobies - and feeling the spirit of Charles Darwin
Birding Trip Reviews
569 Birding Tour Reviews - Summary 98% Recommend
All Birding tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Birding trips.