Hiking & Walking Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Enjoy daily wine tastings, including an indulgent sampling of Benziger Family Winery’s vintages paired with a tour of their vineyards.
- Stay in the charming Gaige House, a boutique hotel in the heart of Sonoma, which boasts fireside public rooms, tranquil gardens, and easy access to wineries and hiking trails.
- Savor a picnic basket of local specialties at Buena Vista Winery, the oldest vineyard in the entire region.
- Explore Bothe-Napa Valley State Park, a beautiful landscape of oak and redwood chaparral laced by burbling creeks.
- From the top of Mt Vogel, hike along lush trails, looking down to the valley where deep green forest meets the endless blue of the glacial Lake Bohinj
- Cycle through mountain pastures to outstanding lookouts in Triglav National Park
- Famous for its fairytale-like surrounds – including an emerald-green lake with a church in its middle and medieval castle – Bled is a joy to explore. It also produces a delicious local cake (Bled cream cake – make sure to try it).
- Ride a raft over the rugged rapids, gates and pools of the Sava Dolinka River, taking in stunning Alpine scenery as you go.
- Dazzling cliff-side houses and an impossible coastal location make Cinque Terre one of the world's most romantic destinations
- Adventure through the area's most scenic trails on foot and by bike, including parts of the classic coastal route, all under expert local guidance. Take to the water on a kayak trip to secluded beaches
- If you'd rather spend more time relaxing on the beach, there's flexibility in some places to take a train instead of hike
- Enjoy delicious meals overlooking spectacular cliffs, colourful villages and sparkling seas
- Discover a swathe of medieval marvels, such as the castle and churches of Levanto and the Abbey of San Fruttuoso
- Spend your time immersing yourself into the tranquil lifestyle of Lake Como and Garda – admiring the views, getting active by the lake, and indulging in regional food and wine.
- Explore the beautiful villages, estates and gardens dotted around Lake Como, meandering the lake by ferry. Feel the fanciful vibe on the grounds of Bellagio's grand Villa Melzi, then see the shore from a kayak.
- Leave your bags at Milan’s central station and explore the wonders and urban history of this magical city while in transit between Como and Garda.
- Consider the option of taking a cable car up Monte Baldo – with varying degrees of mountain hikes available, or just to sit at the mountaintop restaurant for lunch, this experience gets you sky high above Garda.
- Have plenty of free time lakeside in Garda, perhaps taking up one of the water sports on offer or visiting nearby wineries in the Bardolino region.
- Summit the highest peak in North Africa, Mt Toubkal, and enjoy morning views over the Atlas Mountains and rural Morocco.
- Hike through the rugged mountains with spectacular scenery at every turn and a trusty pack of mules heading up your crew.
- Experience life in an Amazigh (Berber) village during a stay in an Atlas Mountains village, complete with accommodation in a gite.
- Embrace the vibrant souqs, sights, sounds and smells of Marrakech on a guided walking tour of the Medina and visit to Bahia Palace.
- Plenty of free time and optional extras in Marrakech mean you can explore this vibrant city at your own pace.
- Sleep in mountain huts during your trek and enjoy an included acclimatisation day at Horombo Hut to give you the best chance of reaching the summit.
- Travelling with experienced guides – the best on the mountain – plus trained porters, you'll be in good hands, with one guide for every two trekkers.
- Passing through vast grasslands, giant cacti fields and alpine meadows, all against dramatic mountain backdrops, the Marangu Route is popular for good reason.
- Hike Kilimanjaro's climactic last stretch by lamplight and give yourself as much chance as possible to watch a sunrise over icefields from behind Africa’s highest peak.
- We’re an official partner with the Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project. Hike easier knowing that while our porters are taking care of you, there’s someone looking out for them.
- Naples is the perfect place to make discoveries. Perhaps descend below Naples’ streets to discover the famous catacombs, before indulging in a traditional pizza in one Naples' many eateries. Buon appetito!
- The ancient Roman town of Pompeii has been frozen in time under the shadow of the very volcano which destroyed it, Mount Vesuvius. Explore the vast ruins, including the House of the Faun and the Temple of Apollo, then ascend the volcano and explore hidden sulphuric vents with a specialist volcanology guide.
- Walk the Path of the Gods along the spectacular Sentiero degli Dei, one of the most scenic trails in the world
- Descend into the mysterious Valley of the Mills, where the canopy keeps the temperature pleasant throughout the summer months
- The island of Capri isn't just a lavish retreat for Roman emperors of the past and their modern day equivalents. Powerful cliff faces enclose secluded coves, grottos and spectacular Mediterranean scenery
- Size up mighty Mt Kilimanjaro from the lush tropical surrounds of Marangu, as you prepare to ascend the incredible mountain with the help of an experienced climber.
- Travel with experienced guides and porters. You'll be in great hands – with one guide for every two passengers – so all you’ll have to worry about is soaking up the scenery and keeping your footing!
- Kilimanjaro’s changing scenery – magnificent rainforests and high-alpine deserts to ice fields and vast glaciers – is all on display as you tackle the trails to the top of Africa.
- Catch a dazzling African sunrise from Stella Point on your way to summit Africa's highest mountain peak – definitely a rewarding experience after an early wake-up call!
- Feel good knowing that you’re supporting an official partner of IMEC’s Kilimanjaro Porters Assistance Project (KPAP). This means that all of our climbs have been assessed and scored based on a number of criteria, all of which are designed to ensure the proper treatment of porters.
- Explore three fascinating countries by bike
- Cycle through whitewashed villages and marvel at the sublime sapphire waters of the Adriatic Sea
- Visit the largest island of Dalmatia, with its cypress forests, orange and olive trees, and glowing white pebble beaches
- Filled with fragrant lavender, pines, fruit orchards and a towering limestone ridge, Hvar is truly stunning
- Enjoy a gelato or take a refreshing dip in the sea in sunny Korcula
- Traverse to the top of Srd Hil and appreciate the view of Old Dubrovnik, its harbor and the Adriatic Sea
- Witness Mostar's famous bridge divers hurl themselves from the stones of a bridge that has spanned the river here for centuries
- Cycle through the largest island of the Dalmatia region – Brac – with its cypress forests, orange and olive trees, and glowing white pebble beaches, including the acclaimed Zlatni Rat.
- With a full day to explore Hvar Island at your own pace, why not check out the Hvar Spanjola fortress, go on a short hike or relax by one of the sparkling bays – it’s up to you!
- Treat yourself to a delightful picnic and optional wine tasting experience after exerting yourself on a scenic ride through the verdant Peljesac isthmus – a hilly Croatian peninsula jutting into the Adriatic.
- Days of pedalling call for nights of relaxing. Treat yourself and your small group to special harbourside dinners, tasting traditional cuisine and famed local wines in Bol, Hvar and Korcula.
- Make your way to the renowned walls of Dubrovnik, and if you’ve got time, why not traverse to the top of Srd Hil and appreciate the view of Old Dubrovnik, its harbour and the azure Adriatic Sea.
- Journey this mostly coastal walk to Santiago de Compostela – a lesser-known trail with fewer pilgrims along the way.
- Feast on some of the best Spanish seafood and Albarino wine in Arcade, on a substantial lunch stop on the way to Pontevedra.
- Trek a fair distance each day, but be able to relax along the way, with dedicated rest days in seaside Vigo and inland Caldas de Reis.
- Visit one of the bodegas (wineries) in the region of Caldas de Rei and have the opportunity to soak in the renowned hot springs in the area.
- Explore the marvels of Saint James’s resting place at the Cathedral de Santiago and the medieval old town surrounding as a reward for conquering this journey
- Cycle leafy paths from vibrant Vienna to Bratislava and bohemian Budapest
- Follow the Danube downstream, passing romantic castles, picturesque villages and lowland forests
- Experience one of Austria's most important archaeological sites, the Roman remains at Carnuntum
- Marvel at the domed Basilica of Esztergom, reflected in the still waters of the Danube Bend
- Straddle the borders of Hungary and Slovakia in the historic spa town of Komarom
- Be captivated by the Caucasus as your traverse through the mighty mountain range that unites Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
- Take a walking tour of Yerevan and visit the sites, experience the culture and listen to the legends and stories surrounding this fascinating city.
- Explore the dramatic gorges and rocky canyons of the province of Vayots Dzor in Armenia on this 110-kilometre trek.
- Discover the architectural beauty of the UNESCO-listed Noravank Monastery, nestled peacefully in a picturesque valley and surrounded by red-hued cliffs.
- Support the local non-profit organisation working to develop a world-class hiking trail that connects diverse communities and ecosystems, providing lasting and wide-ranging benefits for people and the environment.
- Pedal through the rolling green hills, vineyards and olive groves of Tuscany on this classic journey from Florence to Pisa
- From Lucca's tree-lined city walls, follow the gentle Serchio River to the world-famous Leaning Tower of Pisa
- Retrace the steps of Leonardo da Vinci around his home city, Vinci
- Sample the local Tuscan delicacies and a glass (or two!) of vino after a rewarding day in the saddle
- Sit and watch the world go by with a cappuccino at Piazza dell'Anfiteatro
- Get away from tourist crowds and experience the 'real Italy' in Garfagnana
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Hiking & Walking Experiences
Following the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in Peru
Hiking the wondrous and expansive Grand Canyon
Walking through the winding streets and colorful city houses of Cinque Terre in Italy and taking in amazing coastal views
Heading up Mount Toubkal in Morocco
Exploring the Atacama Desert
Trekking through Alice Springs in Central Australia, seeing Uluru and learning about the native culture
Hiking & Walking Trip Reviews
All Hiking & Walking tours and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 0.0 for all Hiking & Walking trips.