Hiking & Walking Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Enjoy daily wine tastings, including an indulgent sampling of Benziger Family Winery’s vintages paired with a tour of their vineyards.
- Stay in the charming Gaige House, a boutique hotel in the heart of Sonoma, which boasts fireside public rooms, tranquil gardens, and easy access to wineries and hiking trails.
- Savor a picnic basket of local specialties at Buena Vista Winery, the oldest vineyard in the entire region.
- Explore Bothe-Napa Valley State Park, a beautiful landscape of oak and redwood chaparral laced by burbling creeks.
- From the top of Mt Vogel, hike along lush trails, looking down to the valley where deep green forest meets the endless blue of the glacial Lake Bohinj
- Cycle through mountain pastures to outstanding lookouts in Triglav National Park
- Famous for its fairytale-like surrounds – including an emerald-green lake with a church in its middle and medieval castle – Bled is a joy to explore. It also produces a delicious local cake (Bled cream cake – make sure to try it).
- Ride a raft over the rugged rapids, gates and pools of the Sava Dolinka River, taking in stunning Alpine scenery as you go.
- Dazzling cliff-side houses and an impossible coastal location make Cinque Terre one of the world's most romantic destinations
- Adventure through the area's most scenic trails on foot and by bike, including parts of the classic coastal route, all under expert local guidance. Take to the water on a kayak trip to secluded beaches
- If you'd rather spend more time relaxing on the beach, there's flexibility in some places to take a train instead of hike
- Enjoy delicious meals overlooking spectacular cliffs, colourful villages and sparkling seas
- Discover a swathe of medieval marvels, such as the castle and churches of Levanto and the Abbey of San Fruttuoso
- Spend your time immersing yourself into the tranquil lifestyle of Lake Como and Garda – admiring the views, getting active by the lake, and indulging in regional food and wine.
- Explore the beautiful villages, estates and gardens dotted around Lake Como, meandering the lake by ferry. Feel the fanciful vibe on the grounds of Bellagio's grand Villa Melzi, then see the shore from a kayak.
- Leave your bags at Milan’s central station and explore the wonders and urban history of this magical city while in transit between Como and Garda.
- Consider the option of taking a cable car up Monte Baldo – with varying degrees of mountain hikes available, or just to sit at the mountaintop restaurant for lunch, this experience gets you sky high above Garda.
- Have plenty of free time lakeside in Garda, perhaps taking up one of the water sports on offer or visiting nearby wineries in the Bardolino region.
- See the best of Cambodia in one energetic helping, taking in the highlights while getting active to uncover some underexplored treasures of this South East Asian hotspot.
- Cycle off the main streets and into the heart of Phnom Penh with a guided backstreets bike tour – weaving through small villages and rice paddies, you’ll see local life firsthand.
- Discover traditional Khmer villages and their dedication to reforestation on the Mekong island of Koh Trong, and swing the day away in a hammock at a rural homestay with your small group.
- Angkor what? Temple hop through the Angkor complex and surrounding jungle by private minibus and bike, allowing you to discover this incredible site from unique perspectives.
- Paddle through spectacular flooded forests of Stung Treng by kayak and try to spot rare Irrawaddy dolphins from the water on a boat excursion along parts of the Mekong River.
- Ascend to the clouds and reach an altitude of 5416 metres as you cross the Thorung La Pass along the Annapurna Circuit. Testing your mind and body, this is one hell of an accomplishment.
- Uncover a different side of the Himalayas, trekking past terraced rice fields, oak and rhododendron forests, there’s a diverse array of nature that awaits in the Annapurna region.
- Learn about life in Nepalese mountain communities, get to know locals and meet other trekkers while you stay in teahouses in the small communities along the way.
- Discover Nepal’s compact capital in Kathmandu. With a limited amount of time spent here to discover its bazaars and temples, why not extend your stay beforehand to get a real feel of Nepalese culture.
- Spend time in the peaceful haven of Pokhara after your trek has finished. Relax with your small group on the banks of Phewa Lake and take in the mountainous surrounds that you have conquered!
- Witness Argentina’s Perito Moreno Glacier and listen to the thundering ice cracking on this 30-km-long ice beast – one of the few glaciers left that isn’t shrinking.
- Spend three days camped among the peaks of Chilean Patagonia, a true back-to-nature and a great opportunity for a true digital detox.
- Trek past the most beautiful waterfalls and glaciers of Torres del Paine National Park with your guide, and spot wildlife like guanacos and rhea birds along the way.
- Spot sea lions paying along rocky shores, waddling penguins and plenty of flying seabirds during a day cruise through the Beagle Channel, the gateway to the Antarctic.
- Begin and end your trip with time in elegant Buenos Aires, the perfect place to reconnect with the urban world after a remote adventure in the wild.
- Get acquainted with the beautiful churches and graceful boulevards of Quito, Ecuador's capital
- The Galapagos Islands played a profound role in forming Charles Darwin's Theory of Natural Selection. Explore the islands on this in-depth adventure, coming face-to-face with some of the most extraordinary wildlife on earth
- Get your blood pumping as you scale a volcano on Isabela Island, get up close and personal with giant tortoises on Santa Cruz Island. These nearly extinct creatures are one of the greatest drawcards to the Galapagos
- This is a land based Galapagos trip, we use locally owned hotels on the islands. On this trip you will have more opportunities to interact with the locals as opposed to staying on a boat.
- This trip gives both trekkers and non-trekkers the chance to visit Machu Picchu with Inca Trail*, Quarry Trail and train options.
- Travel through the Sacred Valley - known for its steep and soaring scenery, its mystical significance for the Inca and the indigenous cultures that still reside here.
- Explore the greatest icon of ancient South America, Machu Picchu on a guided tour.
- Explore Cusco, South America's oldest continuously inhabited city. The city has ancient foundations, an interesting blend of Incan and colonial influences, and seemingly endless things to do and see.
- *Please note that the Inca Trail trekking route is currently closed until further notice due to the pandemic.Quarry Trail and train option are still available
- Cycle off the main streets and into the heart and soul of Bangkok with a backstreets bike tour
- Even the transport on this trip is an adventure – travel like the locals on an overnight sleeper train, a real Intrepid experience and a great chance to interact with the Thai people
- Get the heart pumping on a 3 day trek through scenic and enlightening northern hilltribe villages, and experience rural Thai life from a local's perspective with two nights in village homestays
- Explore areas of Chiang Mai rarely seen by visitors with 2 days cycling through local neighbourhoods, discovering everyday Thai life that thrives in the backstreets
- Uncover a different side to the River Kwai with 2 days peaceful kayaking down its waters, through tropical forest and with beautiful mountain views
- Get a taste of incredible Istanbul and its bustling backstreets with your local leader.
- Hike the valleys of Cappadocia and picnic among surreal fairy chimneys that dot the landscape.
- Visit Ephesus’s astounding Roman ruins, where the Greco-Roman world still feels very much alive.
- A kayak trip over a sunken city is the perfect way to experience the lush blue waters of the Mediterranean.
- Hike the famous Lycian Way with breathtaking views of the Turquoise Coast.
- Choose you own adventure on your way to the mother of all Inca cities – magical Machu Picchu. Test yourself on the challenging Classic Inca or Inca Quarry trails, or take the train for a more leisurely experience.
- Marvel at the evergreen splendour of the untouched Amazon. Explore rainforest trails with a local guide, looking out for wildlife and medicinal plants, and stay in a tranquil jungle lodge overnight.
- Head on a guided stroll through charming Cusco with your local leader, where Inca temples and Spanish cathedrals line the cobblestone streets – Peru’s true cultural and historic centre.
- Sleep in a mud-brick hut on the shore of vast, ancient Lake Titicaca during a homestay in a traditional Andean community, and visit the floating reed islands of Uros with your small group.
- Finish up in the eclectic and hectic La Paz, where indigenous Aymara or Quechua traditions are flourishing in contemporary Bolivia – a living example of the resilient traditional communities of South America.
- Trek the famous Kokoda Track the ethical way. We partner with a local cooperative that ensures local communities benefit directly from your visit.
- Hear incredible tales of wartime courage from the local historian in Brigade Hill and meet a surviving PNG war carrier who aided wounded soldiers.
- Hike up the arid spines of mountains and through valleys of lush rainforest, stopping to cool off in pristine rivers along the way.
- Meet the people who live in this region, learn about the local cultures and contribute to these small and remote communities.
- Trek every step with a personal porter, trekking leader and crew – all locals – to ensure that you have the best experience possible while supporting employment in the region.
- In addition to immense rugged mountains, witness everything from still alpine lakes and glacial plains to frothy rivers and valleys covered in pink blossoms, depending on the season.
- A trek like this is the bonding experience of a lifetime and the genuine comradery formed between members of your small group will stay with your forever.
- Get your first glimpses of the mighty Himalayan range on the included flight from Kathmandu to Lukla – the famous airport in the sky.
- Hike with an experienced and passionate English-speaking local leader as well as a team of guides and porters who will introduce you to rich Sherpa culture.
- We partner with local mountaineering and porter welfare programs, so you can trek easier knowing that while our porters are taking care of you, there’s someone looking out for them.
- Read our comprehensive guide on trekking in the Everest region here: https://www.intrepidtravel.com/theme/walking/everest-base-camp-trek
- Enjoy a thrilling bike ride down some of the best mountains trails in Andorra, including the historic Iron Route. Wild evergreen slopes and white peaks offer a spectacular backdrop
- Hold on tight for some exhilarating white-water rafting through the Pyrenees, under the supervision of highly experienced guides
- Explore the quaint town of Soldeu, based at an impressive elevation of 1,710 metres above sea level
- Cycle along the scenic trails of Port de Cabus, the mountain pass on the Pyrenees Andorran-Spanish border
- Get the blood pumping, as you zip-line between the trees and over some rope obstacles in the beautiful set up of Cortals Valley.
- Trek through the stunning Siscaro reserve, keeping an eye out for native flora and fauna along the way
- Practice you language skills. Most people in Andorra speak Catalan, Spanish and French, but if you can't remember your fromage from your queso or your chapeaux from your sombreros, don’t worry, English is widely spoken om Andorra
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Hiking & Walking Experiences
Following the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu in Peru
Hiking the wondrous and expansive Grand Canyon
Walking through the winding streets and colorful city houses of Cinque Terre in Italy and taking in amazing coastal views
Heading up Mount Toubkal in Morocco
Exploring the Atacama Desert
Trekking through Alice Springs in Central Australia, seeing Uluru and learning about the native culture
Hiking & Walking Trip Reviews
11,351 Hiking & Walking Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
All Hiking & Walking tours and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Hiking & Walking trips.