Budget Travel Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Explore Madrid
- Visit Prado Museum
- Admire El Greco’s masterpiece, The Burial of the Count of Orgaz in Santo Tome Church
- View the Moorish architecture of the Giralda Tower overlooking the Guadalquivir River
- Visit the splendid Alhambra Palace
- Visit the famed Sagrada Familia, a large, unfinished Catholic Basilica
- Visit Barcelona’s Gothic Quarter
- Enjoy the scenic views of plazas when you drive along the La Rambla Boulevard
- Get the perfect opportunity to take pleasure in the wildlife and birdlife
- Enjoy the incredible relaxing experience of cruising on the Chobe River
- Awesome view of magnificent Victoria Falls
- Cherish brilliant safari experience
- Soak up the sophistication of Buenos Aires and explore the sights of its historic city centre
- Enjoy the differing experiences of the mighty Iguazu Falls from both Argentina and Brazil
- Rio de Janeiro offers the best combination of city, beach and mountains; famed for vibrant nightlife and rhythmic music
- Explore Table Mountain (Cape Town)
- See the Cape Peninsula (Cape Town)
- Explore amazing Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Visit to Kruger National Park
- Vist Apartheid Museum (Johannesburg)
- Khao Sok National Park is like stepping into another world. Cruise along the Cheow Lan Lake and spend a night on the banks in a rafthouse.
- Take some time out in Ao Nang to recharge and relax. You’ll also get the opportunity to share a meal and chat with a local family in their home!
- How about jumping on a long tail boat and heading into the spectacular limestone cove of Railay Beach? It’s only accessible by water, but is definitely worth the trip.
- Kuala Lumpur is a fantastic urban centre to dig your teeth into. Master the metro, tackle the Petronas towers and explore the colourful Batu Caves.
- Eat on the roadside in Bangkok and Penang and get a taste of everything delicious in one of Singapore’s hawker centres.
- Unwind in the mineral-rich waters of Iceland's famous Blue Lagoon.
- Search for Aurora Borealis in the inky darkness of the countryside.
- Visit some of the most impressive waterfalls in the country.
- Receive an interactive education on Iceland's culture and history.
- Travel the breathtaking Golden Circle on an unforgettable day trip!
- Hassan II Mosque (Casablanca)
- Koutobia Minaret (Marrakesh)
- Jemaa El Fna (Marrakesh)
- Essaouira Medina
- Ait Ben Haddou
- Todra Palmeraie Gorge (Erfoud)
- Erg Chebbi Desert
- Camel Ride in the Dunes
- Royal Palace (Rabat)
- Cape Town Orientation Tour
- Table Mountain (Cape Town)
- Cape Peninsula (Cape Town)
- Winelands (near Cape Town)
- Robben Island
- Kruger National Park
- Board on rail to see Machu Picchu
- Visit the world renowned and colorful Indian market in Pisac
- Enjoy a guided walking tour around Cuzco
- Visit lake Titicaca
- Embark on an unforgettable boat journey to explore the magnificent scenery and fascinating life on and around the lake.
- Visit the floating islands of the Uros Indians
- Enjoy a guided afternoon tour of both colonial and modern Lima
- Visit Gold Museum and Fernando Botero Museum (Bogota)
- See the famous underground salt cathedral (near Bogota)
- Visit the coffee Hacienda San Alberto and immerse yourself in the world of coffee
- Enjoy a spectacular drive to Cocora Valley
- Visit sculpture park of Botero (Medellin)
- Visit the La Popa Convent and San Felipe Castle (Cartagena)
- Explore Cartagena’s Walled Old Town
- Visit the concentration camp at Auschwitz, now a museum honoring the victims of the Holocaust
- See the 13th century Matthias Coronation Church and the Citadel on Mount Gellert.
- See historical sights including the Monument of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
- Voyage to the charming artist’s town of Szentendre
- Enjoy a panoramic tour taking you along the Ring Boulevard, past Emperor Franz Josef’s Hofburg Palace and the ornate State Opera to a masterpiece of Gothic architecture, the Cathedral of St. Stephen’s
- Visit the quaint towns of Duernstein and Telc en route to Prague
- See the 14th-century Charles Bridge and explore the charming Old Town in Prague
- Helsinki Tour
- Danube Bend
- Enjoy a tour to the Vatican which includes visits to St. Peter’s Basilica, the spectacular Sistine Chapel and the Vatican Museum
- Explore Imperial Rome
- Visit the Colosseum
- Walk under the Arch and marvel at the ruins of the Roman Forum
- See Michelangelo’s celebrated David
- View the famous Piazza del Miracoli and the amazing Leaning Tower of Pisa
- Embark on a boat tour to the island of Murano
- Taj Mahal
- Delhi Sightseeing
- Elephant Ride to Amber Fort (Jaipur)
- Sunrise Boat Ride on the Ganges River
- Durbar Square (Kathmandu)
- Visit the Tiananmen Square (Beijing)
- See the Great Wall (Beijing)
- Learn about the Terra Cotta Soldiers (Xian)
- See The Bund (Shanghai)
- Enjoy an Yangtze River Cruise
- Li River (Guilin)
- See spectacular city view from Victoria Peak (Hong Kong)
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Budget Travel Experiences
Taking a cargo boat up the river Niger to reach Timbuktu
Living in a Buddhist monastery in India in exchange for teaching English lessons
Experiencing home stays with families in Himalayan villages
Spotting whales from the beach at Doradillo, near Puerto Madryn in Argentina
Sampling street food and drink in Bangkok
Taking a self-guided trek in the Langtang region of Nepal and staying at local tea houses
Cycling around the Bagan temples of Myanmar
Exploring the smaller (and cheaper) parks and reserves of Kenya, and getting up close with giraffes, wildebeest, rhinos, elephants, zebras and more
Budget Travel Trip Reviews
5,224 Budget Travel Tour Reviews - Summary 97% Recommend
All Budget tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Budget Travel trips.