Tanzania Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Get the best view of Tanzania’s landscapes from two-wheels – cycle in the shadow of Mount Meru in Arusha and ride alongside wildebeest in Lake Manyara.
- Refuel for the ride with a cup of Tanzanian coffee. Roast, grind and taste your own in the village of Tengeru and get a closer look at local farm life.
- Cycle where tourists rarely go, across the remote, barely charted plains of Lengai in the realm of vast grasslands and misty volcanic peaks.
- The Serengeti National Park and Ngorongoro Crater are two of Africa’s very best wildlife arenas. Fall asleep to the sounds of the African night and take a safari in search of the rare black rhino.
- Stretch your legs on an optional hike to the volcanic peak of Ol Doinyo Lengai, a challenging trek that will reward you with superb sunrise views.
- Take a trek through Uganda's steamy forests to seek out acclaimed mountain gorillas, getting the rare chance to spend an unforgettable hour in their presence.
- Head out on an early evening game drive in Lake Nakuru National Park, well known for its rhino population, and explore the plains of the Serengeti in search of lions, leopards, elephants and giraffes.
- Spend a few days at your own pace in Jinja, which can be either a relaxing riverside retreat or an adrenaline-pumping adventure capital, depending on your style of travel!
- Meet with Maasai communities – known for their vibrant red dress and elaborate jewellery – and gain an insight into the culture and ancient ways of this proud East African community.
- Embark on a hike through the Usambara Mountains to the Irente viewpoint, then stop at a farm on the way back for a picnic lunch.
- Support local conservation efforts by visiting the Khama Rhino Sanctuary, the only place left in Botswana where both black and white rhinos reside.
- Go wildlife-spotting with your small group and expert guides in Chobe National Park, South Luangwa National Park, the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. The Big Five have never been so close!
- Camping on a remote island in the heart of the Okavango wilderness is an experience you’ll never forget. As the sun sets and night falls, the sounds of Africa come alive.
- Journey from the interior plains out to some idyllic Indian Ocean hotspots. Take a stroll along the shores in Dar es Salaam and consider strolling through spice plantations in Zanzibar.
- With permits included in the price of the trip, take a trek through Uganda's steamy forests to seek out rare mountain gorillas and spend an unforgettable hour in their presence.
- Protect the wilderness you came to explore by visiting the Khama Rhino Sanctuary, the only place left in Botswana where both black and white rhinos reside.
- Camping on a remote island in the heart of the Okavango wilderness is an experience you’ll never forget. As night falls, listen to the sounds of the bush coming alive.
- Go wildlife-spotting along the river in Chobe National Park, home of the world's highest concentration of African elephants.
- Discover the magic of South Luangwa National Park, a highly concentrated arena of noble beasts and exotic wildflowers, on a game drive at dawn.
- Get incredible views over the great plains of Tanzania after a hike to Irente viewpoint in the Usambara Mountains.
- Support local conservation efforts by visiting the Khama Rhino Sanctuary – the only place left in Botswana where both black and white rhinos sit side by side.
- Camping on a remote island in the heart of the Okavango wilderness is an experience you’ll never forget. As night falls, the sounds of the remote African bush come alive!
- Go wildlife-spotting along the river at Chobe National Park – home of the world's highest concentration of African elephants – and keep the safari going in South Luangwa National Park on a dawn game drive.
- Experience the rumble and roar of Victoria Falls from the Zimbabwe side, which gives you the broadest view. Looking for something special? Why not book in a scenic helicopter experience!
- Chill out on the pristine beaches of Zanzibar, and consider discovering the island’s renowned spice plantations on an optional guided visit.
- Listen to the songs and stories of Namibia’s San people, the oldest inhabitants of Southern Africa, and gain an insight into their traditional customs and beliefs.
- Enjoy a full-day game drive in Etosha National Park, home to a wide range of Southern Africa's wildlife, and glide through the waterways of the Okovango Delta on a mokoro (a small dugout canoe), escaping civilisation at with an overnight stay at an island camp.
- The cascades and evaporating mist of Victoria Falls are a wondrous sight. Have the opportunity to see the falls at multiple angles, perhaps with a bird’s eye view in a helicopter!
- Visit the Victoria Falls Wildlife Trust to learn about the rehabilitation of wildlife from poaching and get the chance to meet some rescued or orphaned wildlife currently in their care.
- Journey from the interior plains out to some idyllic Indian Ocean hotspots. Take a stroll along the shores in Dar es Salaam and laze on the beaches in paradisiacal Zanzibar.
- With included wildlife viewing experiences like game drives, tracking walks and safaris, you are guaranteed to encounter a diverse array of Africa’s iconic wildlife.
- Wake up before dawn and scramble to the top of a massive Sesriem dune for a dramatic sunrise view across a vast sea of undulating sand.
- Glide down Botswana's Okavango Delta on a mokoro, with a local at the helm using a pole to guide your journey through the rich waterways.
- Discover the largest ruins in sub-Saharan Africa – Great Zimbabwe. This World Heritage-listed site dates back to the 11th century.
- Chill out on the white sands of Zanzibar’s northern beaches and spend a night exploring the ornate alleyways of Stone Town.
- Gorilla permits included! Seek out the rare mountain gorilla on a trek through Uganda’s steamy forests and spend an unforgettable hour in their presence.
- Go on safaris in iconic spots like Ngorongoro Crater, the Serengeti savanna, the Okavango Delta and the Masai Mara.
- A local leader and crew, plus plenty of time in villages and small towns, means you’ll have the opportunity to meet heaps of locals from all walks of life.
- Chill out on the northern beaches of Zanzibar, enjoying white sand and the sparkling blue waters of the Indian Ocean.
- Travel for good! Visit community-based projects that empower women, promote economic freedom and protect wildlife.
- Tarangire National Park, Enjoy your first game drive in safari vehicles
- See the Serengeti National Park is the world’s last great wildlife refuge as it contains an estimated three million large animals
- Explore the Ngorongoro Crater is the largest intact crater in the world
- See the incredible different habitats contain over 30,000 animals – including elephants, warthogs, flamingoes, magnificent birdlife, the rare black rhinoceros and all the predatory cats
- Enjoy the superb snorkeling and diving in the Mafia Archipelago.
- Relax on a private island complete with pristine white beaches.
- Visit one of Zanzibar's famous spice plantations.
- Explore Stone Town's winding streets, learning about the region’s mix of Arabic and African cultures.
- Experience excellent hotel accommodation in the heart of stone town and along a pristine beach on the east coast, both with private swimming pools and air conditioning.
- Savour the fragrance and flavours of the ‘spice island’ with an exploration of a local spice plantation. sample the local fruits and seasonings, and see exotic plant varieties like the henna bush and lipstick tree.
- Take time to soak up the sun and lie back in the shade of a coconut palm, along with the chance to enjoy activities like snorkelling and windsurfing.
- VIEW Thomson's Falls in Nyahururu
- VISIT Solio Game Reserve, Lake Nakuru National Park, Lake Naivasha, Maasai Mara National Game Reserve, Lake Victoria, Serengeti National Park, the Ngorongoro Crater, Lake Manyara National Park, Tarangire National Park, Stone Town
- Connect with Locals
- Dive into Culture
- Make a Difference
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Tanzania Experiences
Visiting Serengeti National Park, one of the best spots to see big game in Africa.
Checking out the volcano and array of game animals in Ngorongoro Crater.
Hiking to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro.
Birdwatching in Tarangire National Park.
Exploring the region of Zanzibar and its beaches.
Wandering the narrow alleyways of Stone Town on the intriguing island of Zanzibar.
Seeing a beautiful display of flamingos on Lake Manyara.
Tanzania Trip Reviews
1,040 Tanzania Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
All Tanzania safaris, tours, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Tanzania trips.