Family Friendly Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Activities & Interests
Attractions & Cities Visited
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Impacted by Climate Change
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Go beyond a biology lesson and immerse yourself in nature, from spotting rare birds in Monteverde to listening for the evocative call of howler monkeys in Manuel Antonio National Park.
- Harvest produce and come together to cook a rustic meal from scratch during a homestay with family in an agricultural community.
- Get active on guided walks through forest and jungle, plus an incredible canopy walk along suspended bridges in Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve.
- Family holidays aren’t always relaxing, but this trip offers plenty of opportunities to take it slow in thermal springs and pools and on beaches.
- End this adventure by hitting Manuel Antonio National Park, where the evergreen forest grows right up to the long, white beaches and irresistible water.
- Encounter roaring lions and magnificent zebra in the famous Serengeti National Park as our small safari vehicles get you close to the action in this spectacular wildlife arena.
- Experience the thrill of camping among nature and drift off to sleep to the sounds of the African night.
- Meet some Maasai Mamas (the name for women artisans in Tanzania) and learn about their village life, including how to prepare a local Swahili dish.
- Take a mind-blowing safari across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater for a chance to see the endangered black rhinoceros.
- Accompanied by a local crew – a leader, driver and cook – you and your family are in excellent hands for the duration of your adventure.
- Amble down the cobbled streets of historic Havana
- Explore Cuba’s best-preserved colonial town
- Check out the Bay of Pigs Museum
- Snorkel in the waters off Cayo Blanco
- See the site of Che Guevara’s famous train battle
- Japan is an exhilarating and unique destination that also happens to be incredible safe, which makes it a great fit for families travelling with kids of any age.
- Let Tokyo dazzle the whole family. Feast on market-fresh sushi, try your hand at calligraphy and cook your own okonomiyaki on a cruise around Tokyo Bay.
- Ride the Hakone ropeway then relax in the soothing waters of an onsen. These hot-spring baths are the perfect antidote to a couple of days of walking around Tokyo.
- From the tiny stalls in the back streets of Tokyo to the Nishiki-Koji Market, your leader will help you and your family navigate Japan’s dizzying cuisine and find something for everyone.
- Learn about an important chapter of Japan’s history at the Hiroshima Peace Park, followed by a visit to the relaxing island of Miyajima where deer roam the streets.
- A cyclo tour of Hanoi is an excellent introduction to bustling inner-city Vietnam, and the novelty of travelling on these three-wheeled wonders is a thrill for all ages
- There's a great mix of included activities and free time, which is perfect in atmospheric destinations like Hoi An, with the beach just a short bike ride away
- Halong Bay is not only an amazing and unique natural wonder – it's a proper escape from the world around you. Sleep under the stars on a comfortable cruise boat and enjoy a sumptuous lunch and dinner on board
- By dining at KOTO in Hanoi, you and your family will not only feast on dellicious northern specialties, you'll be supporting an excellent cause that helps connect street kids with careers in hospitality
- One of the many advantages of group travel is the social aspect, and kids often have playmates, giving you a little more time to relax
- Take a guided walk through the lush lower trails of Kinabalu National Park and witness Mt Kinabalu in all its glory at dawn.
- Stay overnight among the birds and beasts of the jungle, right next to an oxbow lake, at Kinabatangan Eco Camp.
- Visit the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre and, if you're lucky, watch baby orangutans learn to swing in a special enclosure.
- Enjoy a special opportunity to watch protected turtle hatchlings scatter across the beach to the water under the cover of night.
- Swim, snorkel and stroll along the sandy beaches of Dinawan Island on an included family day trip to this island paradise.
- Though not quite visible from space, the Great Wall of China is still massive! Wander this iconic monument and learn about its history
- Travel back in time to the era of China’s powerful Emperors in Beijing while you and your family explore the halls and courtyards of the Forbidden City
- Experience whizzing through the Chinese landscape on futuristic bullet trains
- The kids will enjoy meeting the pandas in Chengdu on a once-in-a-lifetime encounter. Watch these adorable creatures at play, get to know the super-cute red ones, and learn about important conservation work
- Uncover the secrets of Chinese food in a cooking class in Yangshuo
- Wrap up this eye-opening adventure in Hong Kong – a fast-paced explosion for the senses that’s an exciting mix of old and new, East and West
- Take in the sights of Phnom Penh on a cyclo tour
- Keep up with the kids cycling in the rural countryside
- Dine with a local family in Battambang
- Wander among the ancient temples of Angkor
- The kids will admire the circus acrobatics in Siem Reap
- Experience the tranquil beauty of rural Vietnam while cycling hrough the lush rice paddies and limestone karsts of Ninh Binh
- Exploring Halong Bay by kayak allows you and your family to access places the junk boats can't. Paddle through grottoes, land on secluded islands and inspect stalactites up close
- Eat for a good cause at Hanoi's KOTO restaurant, an initiative that trains street kids for careers in hospitality
- Be romanced by the well-preserved architecture, welcoming atmosphere and superb eateries of Hoi An
- This trip has a fabulous pace to it. There's plenty of action, and lots of room for quality family time in which to play, swim or stroll in some of Thailand's most amazing coastal and jungle destinations.
- A long-tail boat trip on the canals is the perfect introduction to Bangkok. Follow it up with a visit to Wat Pho, where the larger-than-life reclining Buddha will blow you and your family’s mind.
- The food is excellent, there's a great spread of local restaurants, and your Ban Hua Tung homestay takes the hospitality to the next level, with home cooking and a cultural dance performance.
- The activities in Chiang Mai are both fun and educational. One minute you’ll be walking with rescued elephants, the next you're strolling through the sacred foothills of Chiang Dao learning about natural medicines.
- Let your expert leader take the hassle out of family travel as they guide you through the sights and bites of Thailand, so relax and hand over the responsibility – you deserve it.
- Enjoy a mixture of adventurous activities, from snorkelling to hiking to rafting – perfect for those families who love to get their pulse going
- Discover a bird's eye view of nature from a flying fox in Ubud
- Take an exhilarating white water raft on the Ayung River, taking in beautiful backdrops of rainforests, gorges and rice paddies along the way
- Snorkel in the clear blue waters off the shore of a small village
- Round out a big adventure with a visit to Seminyak, a superb hub for shopping and upmarket relaxation by the beach.
- Everyone’s seen a photo of the Taj Mahal, but nothing compares to seeing it in person in the glowing morning light – you and your family will understand what beauty really is.
- Feel the excitement build as you visit Ranthambhore National Park to hopefully catch a glimpse of a Bengal tiger stalking through the jungle.
- Experience the moving town that is an Indian train – watch the colourful landscape fly by as the chai wallah walks down the aisle singing about his tea
- India is bursting with colour, alive with people, dripping with the powerful smells of spice and incense – you and your family will never forget what you smell, taste and see as you walk through the markets and bazaars
- Enjoy classic, historical accommodation and a softer landing in this chaotic country on this comfort trip
- Cruise between islands and islets and marvel at submerged ruins on a relaxing boat trip around Kekova.
- Get pampered with a real Turkish hamam (spa) experience, complete with treatments that are fun for the kids and invigorating for parents!
- Squeeze into the steep-sided Saklikent Gorge, marvel at its size, then scramble over rocks and cool off together in the melted mountain snow.
- Tuck into a traditional Turkish breakfast then feel ancient history come to life on the Lycian Coast, site of fierce struggles and great battles.
- Spend an evening camped in the Sahara, surrounded by windswept dunes under a thousand (more or less) stars.
- Whether travelling by train, bus or camel, there's always something to see in this fascinating country.
- Enjoy exploring the famous cities of Fes and Marrakech during both guided tours and plenty of free time as a family.
- Morocco’s sights, sounds and flavours never fail to surprise, from ancient Roman ruins to the rocky Atlas Mountains to the bustling city medinas.
- Dive into the heart of one of the world’s most biologically diverse countries, travelling along rivers, through dense rainforest, past towering volcanoes and to blissful beaches on a journey that will awaken your inner nature-lover
- Get active on an incredible range of outdoor pursuits – rafting along rapids, climbing up to volcanic craters, safari-ing for crocs, and hiking through jungle
- Enjoy close-up encounters with Costa Rica’s endless wildlife, then enjoy plenty of time to let off some steam in thermal springs and swimming pools
- End this adventure by hitting Manuel Antonio National Park, where the evergreen forest grows right up to the long, white beaches and irresistible water
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Family Friendly Experiences
Stopping at Terres d’Amanares, and trying zip lining
Visiting numerous waterholes in Etosha National Park to spot wildlife
Watching the kids participate in scavenger hunts and hands-on lessons
Spotting humpback whales at Point Adolphus
Visiting Sepilok Orangutan Centre to see Orangutan
Swimming and snorkeling in Gocek’s clean waters
Family Friendly Trip Reviews
8,258 Family Friendly Tour Reviews - Summary 90% Recommend
All Family Friendly tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.5 for all Family Friendly trips.