Ruins & Archaeology Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Activities & Interests
Attractions & Cities Visited
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Impacted by Climate Change
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Uncover Venice's hidden past by visiting secret chambers within the Doge's Palace.
- Discover the secrets of Ancient Rome on a private tour of the Colosseum.
- Marvel at Michelangelo's masterpiece on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel with a private guide.
- Experience Baroque art through Caravaggio's most famous works in the Borghese Gallery and Santa Maria del Popolo Church.
- Travel Venice's Grand Canal in style by arriving at your hotel via a private boat.
- Take the perfect photo in front of Platform 9 3/4 - but be careful not to run through it!
- Practice your parseltongue and see if you can't get it to open the Chamber of Secrets.
- Pay a visit to the Great Hall and imagine how it looks decked out in the colors of your favorite Hogwarts house!
- Take a walk through the filming location of the Leaky Cauldron - who knows what sorts of dark characters you'll run into.
- Uncover the secrets of the real Hogwarts building during your day tour!
- Treat yourself to a pint of Guinness in one of Dublin's pubs, many of which offer live music!
- Along with convenience, the Irish Rail offers you some of the finest scenic views of Ireland.
- Travel in comfort via high-speed train from city to city as stunning scenery rolls by.
- Treat yourself to a plate of Galway's famous locally-caught oysters!
- Learn how to pour the perfect pint at the Guinness Storehouse, if you'd like.
- Immerse yourself in the Gaelic culture with a trip to the Aran Islands.
- Discover Dublin's history rooted in rebellion and Viking settlements.
- Take a photo at the Cliffs of Moher, Ireland's most visited dramatic cliffs.
- Treat yourself to a plate of Galway's famous oysters!
- Discover the scenic highlights of Kerry with your guided Ring of Kerry tour.
- Explore two diverse cultures in one amazing vacation.
- Unwind with pints and authentic dishes at traditional pubs, both in London and in Dublin!
- Walk over the Ha'Penny bridge in Dublin, then the Tower Bridge in London.
- Enjoy city passes in both destinations and take advantage of included access to many sights and attractions.
- Gawk at majestic palaces, castles, cathedrals, and more!
- Experience the most famous city in Italy, also known as the world’s biggest open air museum.
- Some of the highlights which cannot be missed include; the Vatican, the Trevi Fountain, St. Peter's Square, the Colosseum and the Spanish Steps.
- If you purchase our upgrade you will get to explore this amazing city with a 48-hour Hop-on/Hop-off Bus Tour Pass.
- Legend has it that tossing a coin into the Trevi Fountain will guarantee a future return trip to Rome; toss one in and find out!
- Italy is famous for its cuisine. Try authentic Italian food during your trip, plus you will have breakfast daily at your hotel!
- Sample Swiss wine on the shores of Lake Geneva.
- Watch as the setting sun paints the familiar Matterhorn shades of pink and gold.
- Visit the longest glacier in Europe.
- Marvel at the power of Geneva’s Jet d’Eau.
- Spend time in Switzerland’s most indulgent mountain resorts.
- Cruise down the Rhine past castles and Oberwesel.
- Experience the charm of the historic university town Heidelberg.
- Explore the Black Forest with walks in Baden-Baden.
- Absorb the lively atmosphere at Freiburg’s farmer’s market.
- Enjoy a relaxing boat ride on Lake Titisee.
- Kayak under the shadow's of Dubrovnik's city walls.
- Enjoy a meal in an abandoned medieval town.
- Swim and snorkel in the Pakleni Islands.
- Wonder at the power of Krka National Park's waterfalls.
- Immerse yourself in Norwegian cuisine on a foodie tour in Oslo.
- Cruise through the Aurlandsfjord and Nærøyfjord region.
- Feed reindeer and learn about a traditional Sámi family in Swedish Lapland.
- Cycle the cobbled lanes of Copenhagen like a local.
- Admire the splendour of the Shwedagon in Yangon.
- Explore the incredible temples of Bagan.
- Enjoy a two-night cruise on the Ayeyarwady River.
- Visit the famous five-day market on the shores of Inle Lake.
- Taste rich Chianti wines on visits to two traditional Tuscany vineyards.
- Uncover the charming cobbled streets of Lucca on a private walking tour.
- Relax and soak up the atmosphere of the Tuscan countryside.
- Admire the most famous works of Renaissance artwork at the Uffizi Gallery in Florence.
- Visit the Aran Island Inis Oírr for a tour and lobster lunch.
- Boat through Killary Fjord and hike back along the Famine Trail.
- Horse ride on the beaches of Sligo while learning about the local history.
- Sleep under the stars in a bubble dome.
- Experience traditional river life on the banks of the Ayeyarwady
- Get an authentic insight into the diverse tribal communities in Kayah state
- Learn how to cast a fishing net and help in the conservation of the wonderful Irrawaddy dolphin
- Cycle through Bagan's many pagodas, exploring them from a unique perspective
- Tours at Game of Thrones locations across Northern Ireland (These tours are not official Game of Thrones tours and are not licensed, approved, or endorsed by Home Box Office, Inc., the owner of the trade marks for Game of Thrones.)
- Experience an evening of folklore and storytelling at Dublin’s oldest pub.
- Marvel at the Dark Hedges on the Antrim Coast.
- Walk in the footsteps of Jon Snow as you visit Game of Thrones filming sites.
- Experience archery and axe throwing.
- Capture the trip by taking a photo with the direwolves from the show.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Ruins & Archaeology Experiences
Reaching the end of a long trek to savor your first glimpse of Machu Picchu at sunrise
Visiting Mexico’s Chichen Itza to marvel at the ancient Mayans’ command of astronomy
Wandering the vast ruins of Cambodia’s Angkor Wat, the largest religious complex ever built
Participating in a dig in the Utah desert, hunting for dinosaur bones
Stopping at Egypt’s ancient Luxor during a Nile River cruise to gaze in awe at the mammoth temples
Passing through a narrow canyon to come upon your first view of Jordan’s ancient Petra and its unforgettable red-rock Treasury
Joining professional archaeologists on a tour through Arizona’s Agua Fria National Monument, searching for prehistoric Native American artifacts
Paying an early morning call to one of the remote, crumbling sections of the Great Wall of China
Discovering the mystery behind Stonehenge, England
Exploring the caves of Longmen Grottoes in China
Strolling through the ruins of the Roman Forum
Exploring the temple and pagodas of Bagan, Burma
Ruins & Archaeology Trip Reviews
805 Ruins & Archaeology Tour Reviews - Summary 98% Recommend
All Ruins & Archaeology tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Ruins & Archaeology trips.