Ruins & Archaeology Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Sample Swiss wine on the shores of Lake Geneva.
- Watch as the setting sun paints the familiar Matterhorn shades of pink and gold.
- Visit the longest glacier in Europe.
- Marvel at the power of Geneva’s Jet d’Eau.
- Spend time in Switzerland’s most indulgent mountain resorts.
- Kayak under the shadow's of Dubrovnik's city walls.
- Enjoy a meal in an abandoned medieval town.
- Swim and snorkel in the Pakleni Islands.
- Wonder at the power of Krka National Park's waterfalls.
- Admire the splendour of the Shwedagon in Yangon.
- Explore the incredible temples of Bagan.
- Enjoy a two-night cruise on the Ayeyarwady River.
- Visit the famous five-day market on the shores of Inle Lake.
- Taste rich Chianti wines on visits to two traditional Tuscany vineyards.
- Uncover the charming cobbled streets of Lucca on a private walking tour.
- Relax and soak up the atmosphere of the Tuscan countryside.
- Admire the most famous works of Renaissance artwork at the Uffizi Gallery in Florence.
- Visit the Aran Island Inis Oírr for a tour and lobster lunch.
- Boat through Killary Fjord and hike back along the Famine Trail.
- Horse ride on the beaches of Sligo while learning about the local history.
- Sleep under the stars in a bubble dome.
- Experience traditional river life on the banks of the Ayeyarwady
- Get an authentic insight into the diverse tribal communities in Kayah state
- Learn how to cast a fishing net and help in the conservation of the wonderful Irrawaddy dolphin
- Cycle through Bagan's many pagodas, exploring them from a unique perspective
- Uncover Venice's hidden past by visiting secret chambers within the Doge's Palace.
- Discover the secrets of Ancient Rome on a private tour of the Colosseum.
- Marvel at Michelangelo's masterpiece on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel with a private guide.
- Experience Baroque art through Caravaggio's most famous works in the Borghese Gallery and Santa Maria del Popolo Church.
- Travel Venice's Grand Canal in style by arriving at your hotel via a private boat.
- Walk through the Shan hills and stay in a local monastery.
- Explore the Ayeyarwady River by boat with a stay at a local village en route.
- Take an iconic rail journey across the Goteik Viaduct.
- Visit the sandstone caves of Monywa.
- Discover the original relics from Pompeii on a privately guided tour of Naples Archaeological Museum.
- Hike the panoramic trails of Ischia and enjoy lunch at a traditional agritourismo.
- Explore the cosmopolitan city of Naples on a guided walking tour.
- Relax at Ischia’s thermal baths and beaches.
- Combine mountains and lakes.
- Ride the Glacier Express between Zermatt and St. Moritz.
- Learn to cook risotto on the shores of Lake Lugano.
- Relax on Lake Como.
- Tour Lisbon’s historical heart and sample some local delicacies.
- Explore the eccentric palaces and gardens of Sintra.
- Visit Roman ruins in the historic city of Évora in the heart of the Alentejo countryside.
- Learn how to cook traditional Algarvian Cataplana.
- Hike the Algarve coastline near Lagos.
- Experience the gastronomic hub of Lyon.
- Discover Burgundy and Beaujolais wine regions.
- Visit the serene Lac d'Annecy.
- Hike the French Alps.
- Walk inside an ancient glacier.
- Take in the endless vistas at Glacier 3000.
- Sample traditional Swiss chocolates and cheese.
- Explore Zermatt's scenic trails with the backdrop of the Matterhorn.
- Cruise Lake Geneva's smooth waters in style.
- Listen to melancholy fado music over a traditional dinner in Lisbon.
- Learn about Lisbon’s history on a walking tour with stops to sample local delicacies.
- Witness the whimsical architecture in Sintra.
- Take a panoramic tour of Porto ending with a port wine tasting.
- Discover the wines and landscapes of the Douro Valley on a full-day excursion.
- Explore the largest city in the Azores, Ponta Delgada, on a private walking tour.
- Visit the twin lakes of Sete Cidades by bicycle and 4x4.
- Embark on a whale- and dolphin-watching tour outside Ponta Delgada.
- Hear traditional Portuguese fado music at a special dinner in Lisbon.
- Discover the history of Lisbon on a private walking tour.
- Tour the vibrant and eclectic palaces of Sintra.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Ruins & Archaeology Experiences
Reaching the end of a long trek to savor your first glimpse of Machu Picchu at sunrise
Visiting Mexico’s Chichen Itza to marvel at the ancient Mayans’ command of astronomy
Wandering the vast ruins of Cambodia’s Angkor Wat, the largest religious complex ever built
Participating in a dig in the Utah desert, hunting for dinosaur bones
Stopping at Egypt’s ancient Luxor during a Nile River cruise to gaze in awe at the mammoth temples
Passing through a narrow canyon to come upon your first view of Jordan’s ancient Petra and its unforgettable red-rock Treasury
Joining professional archaeologists on a tour through Arizona’s Agua Fria National Monument, searching for prehistoric Native American artifacts
Paying an early morning call to one of the remote, crumbling sections of the Great Wall of China
Discovering the mystery behind Stonehenge, England
Exploring the caves of Longmen Grottoes in China
Strolling through the ruins of the Roman Forum
Exploring the temple and pagodas of Bagan, Burma
Ruins & Archaeology Trip Reviews
807 Ruins & Archaeology Tour Reviews - Summary 98% Recommend
All Ruins & Archaeology tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Ruins & Archaeology trips.