Ruins & Archaeology Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Board on rail to see Machu Picchu
- Visit the world renowned and colorful Indian market in Pisac
- Enjoy a guided walking tour around Cuzco
- Visit lake Titicaca
- Embark on an unforgettable boat journey to explore the magnificent scenery and fascinating life on and around the lake.
- Visit the floating islands of the Uros Indians
- Enjoy a guided afternoon tour of both colonial and modern Lima
- Visit Knossos & Arolithos Traditional Village
- Visit the Acropolis and the incredible museum of Acropolis.
- Enjoy the famous cosmopolitan town of Mykonos with white-washed cubic houses, windmills and chapels.
- See the Constitution Square (Syntagma), the House of Parliament, the National Library
- Enjoy the jet- setting city of Mykonos, ancient church Paraportiani & little Venice
- Take a stroll through the Plaka
- Ride a high speed boat to Santorini Island.
- Visit Lima’s historic city center, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- Visit Lima’s National Museum of Archaeology, Anthropology, and History at Bolivar Square
- Enjoyable way to experience the enchanting Andean landscape.
- Enjiy Rafting excursion
- Visit this mysterious sanctuary
- Explore Cuzco on a walking tour.
- Visit the site of the Qoricancha Sun Temple
- Explore Sacred Valley has amazing landscapes of fertile land
- Machu Picchu
- Visit the bustling and colorful Indian market where many beautiful crafts are traded.
- Galapagos Island Hopping
- Explore Lima, known as the City of Kings
- Visit Cuzco is a vibrant town, dotted with archaeological sites
- See the Church of San Francisco at Lima
- Plaza de Armas (Lima)
- Drive to The equator and surrounded by ice-capped volcanoes
- Visit Church of San Francisco (Quito)
- Stay at Finch Bay Hotel (Galapagos), one of National Geographic’s “Unique Lodges of the World”
- Treat yourself to a pint of Guinness in one of Dublin's pubs, many of which offer live music!
- Along with convenience, the Irish Rail offers you some of the finest scenic views of Ireland.
- Travel in comfort via high-speed train from city to city as stunning scenery rolls by.
- Treat yourself to a plate of Galway's famous locally-caught oysters!
- Learn how to pour the perfect pint at the Guinness Storehouse, if you'd like.
- Immerse yourself in the Gaelic culture with a trip to the Aran Islands.
- Discover Dublin's history rooted in rebellion and Viking settlements.
- Take a photo at the Cliffs of Moher, Ireland's most visited dramatic cliffs.
- Treat yourself to a plate of Galway's famous oysters!
- Discover the scenic highlights of Kerry with your guided Ring of Kerry tour.
- Visit two national parks in Canada
- Learn more about the people living in the area
- See archaeological remains and learn about Viking history
- Exciting excursions
- Explore two diverse cultures in one amazing vacation.
- Unwind with pints and authentic dishes at traditional pubs, both in London and in Dublin!
- Walk over the Ha'Penny bridge in Dublin, then the Tower Bridge in London.
- Enjoy city passes in both destinations and take advantage of included access to many sights and attractions.
- Gawk at majestic palaces, castles, cathedrals, and more!
- Experience 9-night deluxe Cruise in an outside stateroom with Avalon’s exclusive Comfort Collection Beds
- Explore Munich
- Visit Regensburg enjoy the guided walk to Historische Wurstküche
- Exploring Würzburg, visit the Bishop’s Residenz
- Opportunity to cruise through the Rhine Gorge; visit Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum in Rüdesheim
- Enjoy through Heidelberg, visit of the castle, see the Great Vat
- Discover Strasbourg
- 15 day river cruise from amsterdam to Budapest
- Deluxe 14-night cruise in an outside stateroom with hotel-style beds
- Charming wine village of Rüdesheim
- Visits to Würzburg’s Bishop’s Residenz
- The phenomenal Benedictine Abbey in Melk
- Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum in Rüdesheim
- Experience the most famous city in Italy, also known as the world’s biggest open air museum.
- Some of the highlights which cannot be missed include; the Vatican, the Trevi Fountain, St. Peter's Square, the Colosseum and the Spanish Steps.
- If you purchase our upgrade you will get to explore this amazing city with a 48-hour Hop-on/Hop-off Bus Tour Pass.
- Legend has it that tossing a coin into the Trevi Fountain will guarantee a future return trip to Rome; toss one in and find out!
- Italy is famous for its cuisine. Try authentic Italian food during your trip, plus you will have breakfast daily at your hotel!
- Experience Cruise: deluxe 12-night cruise in an outside stateroom with Avalon’s exclusive Comfort Collection Beds
- Explore Vienna
- Enjoy guided walk through Linz
- Tasting of local specialties in Bavaria’s picturesque Wertheim
- Cruise through the dramatic Rhine Gorge past the legendary Lorelei rock
- Visit Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum
- Hike to the top of Athens’ ancient and famous Acropolis
- Cruise the azure seas of the Aegean
- Catch some rays at world-famous island beaches
- Enjoy epic, world-class nightlife in Santorini and Mykonos
- Snap a photo of the whitewashed buildings of the Cycladic Islands
- Flood your Instagram with unreal vistas and Santorini sunsets
- Explore the Maya ruins of Tikal and Lamanai
- Enjoy the relaxed Caribbean beach atmosphere of San Pedro
- Zipline and cave-tube deep in the jungle of Central America
- Snorkel off the coasts of San Pedro and Turneffe Atoll
- Immerse yourself in a wide spectrum of local cultures and traditions
- Spend two days exploring the legendary religious sites of Angkor, in the company of our experts and local guides
- Visit communities and learn the ways of life along the river, including subsistence fishing and small industries
- Explore Phnom Penh and Saigon, touring sites important to the cities’ 20th-century histories
- Travel in extraordinary comfort and see many of the countries’ cultural highpoints.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Ruins & Archaeology Experiences
Reaching the end of a long trek to savor your first glimpse of Machu Picchu at sunrise
Visiting Mexico’s Chichen Itza to marvel at the ancient Mayans’ command of astronomy
Wandering the vast ruins of Cambodia’s Angkor Wat, the largest religious complex ever built
Participating in a dig in the Utah desert, hunting for dinosaur bones
Stopping at Egypt’s ancient Luxor during a Nile River cruise to gaze in awe at the mammoth temples
Passing through a narrow canyon to come upon your first view of Jordan’s ancient Petra and its unforgettable red-rock Treasury
Joining professional archaeologists on a tour through Arizona’s Agua Fria National Monument, searching for prehistoric Native American artifacts
Paying an early morning call to one of the remote, crumbling sections of the Great Wall of China
Discovering the mystery behind Stonehenge, England
Exploring the caves of Longmen Grottoes in China
Strolling through the ruins of the Roman Forum
Exploring the temple and pagodas of Bagan, Burma
Ruins & Archaeology Trip Reviews
813 Ruins & Archaeology Tour Reviews - Summary 99% Recommend
All Ruins & Archaeology tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.8 for all Ruins & Archaeology trips.