Train & Rail Journeys Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Encounter the spirit of Asia as you journey from the vibrant, modern cities of Bangkok and Singapore, to the enchanted island of Bali
- Embrace the sophistication of travel by rail on a three-night journey from Bangkok to Singapore aboard the Eastern & Oriental Express
- Take in the soaring skyscrapers, luxury boutiques and neon nightlife of Bangkok and Singapore
- Discover the exquisite beauty of ox-tilled earth and floating lotus flower farms on your journey through rural Thailand and Malaysia
- Experience the rich and intriguing culture of Bali as you visit exotic temples, travel through diverse landscapes of scenic rice paddies and relax on sun-soaked beaches
- Wander Amsterdam's canal-lined cobbled streets on a tasting tour.
- Spend the day in historic Bruges.
- Visit the traditional fishing towns of Marken and Volendam.
- Explore historic Brussels by foot with a private guide.
- Walk through the Shan hills and stay in a local monastery.
- Explore the Ayeyarwady River by boat with a stay at a local village en route.
- Take an iconic rail journey across the Goteik Viaduct.
- Visit the sandstone caves of Monywa.
- Watch the 42nd world-renowned Passion Play in Oberammergau.
- Unearth Munich’s complex political history.
- Breathe in the fresh Alpine air of Innsbruck.
- Discover Mozart’s hometown in Salzburg.
- Kayak through central Stockholm
- Cruise through the Gothenburg archipelago -Bake chewy rye bread in Denmark's capital city
- Sample the flavors of Spain at a tapas bar!
- Seville is rumored to be the birthplace of flamenco - what better place to catch a show?!
- Treat yourself to a horse-drawn carriage ride in historic Seville.
- Experience the distinct culture of Spain's Catalan region.
- Explore the whimsical works of eclectic architect Antoni Gaudí during your time in Barcelona.
- Enjoy scenic views of the city from Edinburgh Castle, which sits perched atop an extinct volcano.
- Pay a visit to Scotland's oldest pub, the Sheep Heid Inn in Edinburgh!
- Enjoy breathtaking views of the Scottish countryside as you ride the rail from city to city.
- Embark on a quest for Nessie during your special Loch Ness river tour.
- Treat yourself to a sampling of Scotland's famous spirit: Scotch!
- Come face-to-face with some of the most amazing architecture in the world. See the famous masterpieces of Antoni Gaudí and many others.
- Indulge in authentic Spanish cuisine! Be sure to try tapas, Gazpacho, Paella, and more traditional favorites.
- Thrill-seekers can walk across Malaga's Caminito del Rey, the world's most dangerous footpath.
- Experience the differences in local culture as you travel to 5 diverse cities.
- See a traditional Flamenco show or bullfight!
- Enjoy the salty cool air and fresh ceviche in Peru's capital of Lima where you will begin and end your trip.
- Travel across the fertile land and ancient Inca civilizations in the Sacred Valley.
- Catch your breath as you reach the entrance to Machu Picchu, a magnificent 7th World Wonder!
- From the temples to the Inca architecture, discover the beauty of the Lost City of the Incas.
- Enjoy a walking tour of Peru’s colonial city, Cusco, the undisputed archaeological capital of the Americas.
- Experience the famed nightlife of Dublin's Temple Bar district!
- Don’t want to drive in Ireland? The Irish Rail is modern, comfortable and a convenient way to travel.
- Enjoy a pint of Guinness in Dublin, where even the pipes are optimized to enhance the stout's flavor.
- Discover viking ruins and ancient fortresses!
- Treat yourself to a performance in Gaelic in Galway's National Irish Language Theater.
- Treat yourself to a pint of Guinness in one of Dublin's pubs, many of which offer live music!
- Along with convenience, the Irish Rail offers you some of the finest scenic views of Ireland.
- Travel in comfort via high-speed train from city to city as stunning scenery rolls by.
- Treat yourself to a plate of Galway's famous locally-caught oysters!
- Learn how to pour the perfect pint at the Guinness Storehouse, if you'd like.
- Explore the diverse cities of Dublin, Cork and Killarney.
- Traveling by rail allows you to relax in between cities and arrive well-rested and ready to explore!
- Visit the English Market in Cork and get a feel for how the locals live.
- Warm and welcoming city center accommodations invite you to get comfortable and enjoy your stay!
- Dublin has a wealth of activities ranging from the colorful Temple Bar area to the magnificent St. Patrick’s Cathedral.
- Take in Dublin's artisanal food scene with the Delicious Dublin walking tour
- Take the Etihad Skyline Tour Walk in Dublin's GAA museum
- Picnic in Cave Hill County Park to see all of Belfast spread out before you
- See Belfast's Ulster Folk Museum for a peek into history
- Check out the Guinness Storehouse before you leave Dublin!
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Train & Rail Journeys Experiences
Looking at the rolling hills and Siberian villages
Exploring different cities each day
Taking Maharaja Express from Delhi and along the way visiting colorful city Rajasthan and the Taj Mahal in Agra
Taking a rail journey through the Chunnel to France
Train & Rail Journeys Trip Reviews
1,151 Train & Rail Journeys Tour Reviews - Summary 98% Recommend
All Train & Rail Journeys, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Train & Rail Journeys trips.