History Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Explore the remote northern reaches of Albania and take one of the world’s best boat trips with a cruise through the mountainous corridors of Lake Koman
- Experience daily life in the Valbona Valley with a stay at a local guesthouse. Clink glasses with the locals in the village and hike the rugged valley passes.
- Sail across the blue waters of Lake Ohrid, one of Europe's oldest lakes. No wonder North Macedonia and Albania share this beautiful attraction – nobody would want to let it go.
- Kososvo is rich in history and contrasts. Step back in time and learn about the infamous Battle of Kosovo on a day trip to the Field of Blackbirds, before embracing the modern culture thriving in Prishtina, Europe’s youngest capital.
- Lose yourself in Tirana, the Albanian capital full of a revitalised urban energy, and partake in the local's favourite pastime: drinking coffee and people-watching.
- Begin in Barcelona, sporting fabulous food, stunning coastline and a vibrant atmosphere that has attracted worldwide acclaim. You’ll want to spend more time here beforehand!
- The fortified medieval city of Pamplona is a great place to discover on foot. Weave through the city's winding alleyways to the Gothic Cathedral and walk down the street of the famous running of the bulls.
- Logrono is bursting with delicious local produce and wine, just waiting to be enjoyed on an included pinxtos crawl and winery tour. Delicioso!
- Take a long siesta on the golden beaches of San Sebastian, one of Spain's most scenic coastal destinations. As the sun goes down, join the crowds as they come out to play among the city's exciting nightlife.
- The Art Walk in Madrid is every art lover's dream. In one small stretch you can browse the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum, the Reina Sofia and the Prado, one of the world's most celebrated galleries.
- The trip may be quick, but it is packed full of experiences that will give you great insight into Cambodia in a short amount of time
- Begin your adventure in bustling Bangkok, full of interesting sights and delectable cuisine. With the option of adding an extra couple of days before your trip begins, you’ll fit into the lifestyle of South East Asia straight away
- As well as a guided tour, you’ll also have a three-day Angkor pass to cover your whole time in Siem Reap, so that you can explore this incredible temple complex as much and as often as you like
- Discover the temple ruins at Sambor Prei Kuk and enjoy a local village homestay to experience everyday life in rural Cambodia.
- Learn the confronting yet important history of Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum (S21) and the Killing Fields of Choeung Ek in Phnom Penh
- By staying in local accommodation, you’ll get a true insight into real Vietnam. Spend a memorable night in a locally run guesthouse on the Mekong Delta, and an unforgettable boat stay on Halong Bay.
- Spend time at your own pace on the coast in the idyllic seaside town of Phan Rang. You’ll have time to stroll the sandy beaches and head out on the water to snorkel.
- Historic Hoi An is easily covered by foot, and you’ll have time to marvel in its delights. Laze on Cua Dai Beach, discover the renowned tailors, eat your way through the local food market – it’s up to you!
- Discover the bustling centres of Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City – with their French colonial influence and region-specific cuisine, your eyes (and tastebuds!) will never go hungry.
- Sample regional specialties and support local communities on your way, from seafood in Halong Bay, street snacks at markets, tropical fruits in the Mekong Delta and a special breakfast at KOTO restaurant.
- Clear sea perfect for swimming, shacks serving cold cerveza and sandy shores covered in starfish are waiting in the Bocas del Toro, where you spend three nights on Isla Colon.
- Head to the coffee plantations, waterfalls and caldera hot springs of Boquete, a highland town so beautiful you won’t miss the beach one bit.
- Ride some of the region’s best breaks in Santa Catalina. If you'd prefer to stay dry (or horizontal), there's a hammock with your name on it.
- Cycle around the quiet streets of Puerto Viejo de Talamanca with your leader, the best way to get your bearings in this relaxed town.
- Get to know Panama City during a guided stroll along the Cinta Costera right to the city’s salty belly – the Mercado de Mariscos (seafood market).
- Indulge your senses in the chaotic, colourful souqs of Marrakech. Dine on tagine and couscous in Marrakesh’s biggest outdoor food market and enjoy a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice in the Djemaa el-Fna square
- Experience medieval Morocco in the city of Fes. Follow a local guide through the tangled streets of the medina and snap a photo of the city's famous tannery
- The sacred mountain village of Moulay Idriss holds a special place in the hearts of the Moroccan people. Spend the night with a local family in a traditional house and enjoy some delicious home-cooked cuisine
- Admire the Moorish architecture of Casablanca. The city's grand Mosque of Hassan II is one of the most impressive temples in Morocco
- Get lost in Granada's charming Albaizin, a World Heritage-listed Moorish neighbourhood, before visiting the famous hilltop fortress of the Alhambra across the river
- Dine and dance in vibrant Madrid, exploring its character-filled neighbourhoods and world-class art museums
- The cosmopolitan city of Barcelona pulses with culture, art and an outstanding drinking and dining scene. Discover the eccentric modernist architecture of Antonio Gaudi, who made Barcelona his artistic playground. The unfinished masterpiece of La Sagrada Familia is particularly mind-blowing
- Visit our local Bai friends in Dali and learn about Bai people and their way of life.
- In Shaxi, you'll see one of the best-preserved traditional towns in Yunnan. Stay in a friendly, family-run guesthouse and sample some authentic local cuisine
- Experience the legendary Tiger Leaping Gorge, with two days of hiking one of China's most breathtaking trails.
- Journey to Shangrila and walk among Tibetan pilgrims in Sumtseling Monastery.
- Travel like a local, on public buses and sleeper trains. It's the perfect opportunity to interact with people and take in the charming provincial scenery.
- You've never tried anything like Yunannese food! Get a different perspective on Chinese cuisine with the unique flavours of the local soup, noodles, mushrooms and even cheese.
- Explore the multiple sides of LA and the people that live in this diverse megacity – Hollywood wannabes to Beverly Hills ballers, and all crazy characters in between.
- Hike through beautiful Joshua Tree National Park among desert cactus gardens and unusual rock formations, before hitting the road on Route 66.
- The Grand Canyon National Park takes time to really discover – you'll spend two nights in the park, unlike on most trips, so there's a full day to explore properly and see the mighty canyon up close.
- Fly like an eagle and treat yourself to a scenic helicopter flight over the winding gorges of the Grand Canyon – an experience you’ll never forget.
- Lose yourself among the bright desert lights of Las Vegas and the Strip, and remember, what happens in Vegas...
- See the best of Cambodia in one energetic helping, taking in the highlights while getting active to uncover some underexplored treasures of this South East Asian hotspot.
- Cycle off the main streets and into the heart of Phnom Penh with a guided backstreets bike tour – weaving through small villages and rice paddies, you’ll see local life firsthand.
- Discover traditional Khmer villages and their dedication to reforestation on the Mekong island of Koh Trong, and swing the day away in a hammock at a rural homestay with your small group.
- Angkor what? Temple hop through the Angkor complex and surrounding jungle by private minibus and bike, allowing you to discover this incredible site from unique perspectives.
- Paddle through spectacular flooded forests of Stung Treng by kayak and try to spot rare Irrawaddy dolphins from the water on a boat excursion along parts of the Mekong River.
- From flashy Las Vegas to the arid desert of Zion National Park and the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon, you will discover a range of American landscapes at your own pace.
- Admire the oasis of Emerald Pools during a hike past waterfalls and lush vegetation in Utah’s Zion National Park.
- Ride a jeep through Utah's iconic Monument Valley, and then share stories and a meal by the campfire with members of Navajo Nation.
- Be left gobsmacked by the steep red-rock escarpments and gorges of the Grand Canyon, experiencing a bird’s eye view of the park with an optional unforgettable helicopter adventure.
- Explore a city that’s home to dreamers, fortune seekers, and celebrities in the City of Angels: Los Angeles.
- Explore rocky coastal pathways and pastel-coloured villages with a Cinque Terre day pass, which allows you to hike at your leisure and use the coast's public transport.
- Get lost in the floating city of Venice and wander the city's maze of alleyways, canals and lagoon islands, and choose whether to enjoy an optional gondola ride.
- Spend two days in Florence, a city known for its beauty and rustic Tuscan cuisine, and choose to discover the cities culinary traditions on optional food excursions.
- Squid ink spaghetti, rich Tuscan soups, a slice of pizza eaten while you gaze on centuries-old architecture – the food culture in Italy is intoxicating.
- Discover the landmarks of Rome with your leader and wander around the Colosseum, Arch of Constantine, the Forum, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, Via Dei Condotti.
- Romantic Venice is like no other city in the world, a watery wonderland literally sinking under the weight of its iconic sights
- Explore the masterpiece medieval town of Gubbio – centuries of history around every corner and the requisite cobblestone streets, gothic palaces and churches, all with stunning views straight across the valley
- Ride a unique open-air cable car over picturesque Umbrian valleys and ancient ruins to a hill-top basilica
- Visit the birthplace of St Francis, Italy's second holiest city, to explore the imposing basilica built in his name
- If Italian cuisine is known for its simplicity and big flavours, no place does this better than rural Spello. Let Umbrian delicacies such as lamb meat balls with rosemary and porcini risotto whet your appetite
- No Italian adventure would be complete without a visit to Rome. Enjoy plenty of free time to discover the ancient Colosseum, stroll through Vatican City and gaze up towards the gods inside St Peter's Basilica
- Take a cruise on stunning Lake Ohrid – which straddles the mountainous border between Macedonia and Albania – and watch shorefront villages stream by.
- Albania's pastel-coloured capital Tirana is on the verge of becoming Europe’s next big thing, so pay it a visit before the rest of the world does.
- Head to a remote village outside Syros for a sunset feast of local specialties, all served up in a small taverna that overlooks the Aegean Sea.
- Spend a half-day exploring the ruins that decorate the island of Delos, a living museum of crumbling palaces, columns and statues.
- Take a hike around the rim of the caldera Santorini is built on, walking through little villages, passing steep cliff faces and taking in breathtaking views.
- Get lost in the labyrinthine streets of the Albaicin in Granada before crossing the river to visit the imposing Moorish fortress of the Alhambra.
- Unwind in a laidback fishing town in the Algarve, soaking up the sun on the beach and enjoying an included boat trip around the rocky cliffs of the coast.
- Join pilgrims along the last leg of the famous Camino de Santiago journey as they reach the historic cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
- Pulsing with quirky and vibrant art and architecture, walking the streets of Barcelona is the perfect way to immerse yourself in the unique culture of Catalonia.
- Sit back, relax and watch the water flow by in one of Porto’s river restaurants while you sample a couple of varieties of the city’s signature wine – port!
- Travel into the Thar Desert on camelback, spending a memorable evening eating Rajasthani food under the stars in a camp set among sand dunes.
- Cut through the chaos of Jodhpur’s Sadar Bazaar with your knowledgeable local leader, haggling for handicrafts and sipping some of the best lassi in town.
- Snap incredible photos of the immense Chand Baori, a grand ninth-century stepwell in rural Abhaneri that extends over 20 metres into the earth.
- Explore the centre of India’s spiritual heart – Varanasi – on a guided walking tour through the alleyways of the Old Town right to the bank of the Ganges.
- India can be intimidating, but with your local leader there the whole way, you’ll be dodging cows, navigating market stalls, and eating from the best chaat stalls in Delhi in no time.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top History Experiences
Learning about the Inca civilization in Peru
Visiting the 3000 years old Pyramids of Giza
Seeing the Colosseum and the Forum in Rome
Visiting Neuschwanstein Castle in Germany, once a protective fortresses now a beautiful castle
Listening to the various theories of the purpose of Neolithic monument, Stonehenge
Seeing the magnificent Great Wall of China
Finding yourself travelling back to ancient civilization while the tour guides narrate the stories
Taking a small ship cruise to explore the surroundings
History Trip Reviews
13,716 History Tour Reviews - Summary 94% Recommend
All History tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.6 for all History trips.