Italy Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- Dine in true Italian style with wine at your included dinners.
- Enjoy tastings of cheese, cured meats, bread, chocolate, gelato and more during a Bologna food walking tour.
- Join a local expert and explore the rich history of Rome’s Colosseum.
- Visit the Academy Gallery to view Michelangelo’s extraordinary David.
- Take in a glass-blowing demonstration on Venice’s Murano Island.
- Join a local guide on your panoramic tour featuring Rome's treasures.
- Embark on a walking tour featuring Florence's artistic and architectural gems.
- Come to know Venice, one of Italy's most unique cities, with a local expert.
- Enjoy a special welcome dinner featuring regional delicacies and fine Italian wines.
- Visit a historic winery in the heart of the Chianti region and enjoy a chef-led cooking class with lunch.
- Step to the front of the line to see Michelangelo’s famous statue of David.
- Enjoy a boat trip to Murano Island for a glass-blowing demonstration.
- Behold medieval Perugia, the historic capital of Umbria.
- Enjoy a scenic journey through Tuscany’s graceful low-lying hills.
- Set out on a locally guided panoramic tour of Rome.
- Enjoy the Roman Forum, Largo Argentina and the Circus Maximus.
- Enjoy the tiny cobblestone streets and music-filled trattorias
- Visit culminates in the Sistine Chapel, renowned for its Renaissance art
- Visit the Baptistery with its renowned Gates of Paradise doors.
- In Minori, sample some of the local specialties at a family-owned limoncello factory.
- Enjoy a tasting and lunch at a local winery at the foot of Mount Vesuvius.
- Discover the amazing mountaintop monastery of Montecassino.
- Tour a buffalo milk mozzarella factory.
- Visit the fascinating National Archaeological Museum in Naples.
- Take a panoramic tour of Classical Rome featuring an in-depth, guided visit of the spectacular Colosseum.
- Visit the seaside resort town of Sorrento.
- Discover the excavated ruins of Pompeii at the foothills of Mount Vesuvius.
- Get away from the bustle of mainstream tourism in the pastel bay of Procida. This is a great way to start your trip, as this place exudes relaxation
- Fresh honey, olives, rabbit stew, snails and sea urchin – these are just some of the local delicacies offered within Ischia
- Buried in ashes, visit the Roman city of Pompeii or peak inside the steaming crater of the volcano that once destroyed it
- Explore the serene countryside of the Amalfi Coast, passing through flourishing vineyards and olive groves
- Spend your nights aboard a yacht, with the soothing sounds of waves nursing you to sleep. There will also be a great communal sea-spirit among your travel group
- Row into the glowing caves of Capri’s Grotta Azzura and swim in the clear waters nearby
- Among the pastel-hued houses of tranquil Procida, you’ll really feel like you’ve wandered off the beaten track
- Visit the ancient Roman town of Pompeii, which emerged from the ashes after thousands of years, and take a peak inside the steaming crater of the volcano that destroyed it
- Stroll through the flourishing countryside of the Amalfi Coast and pick olives straight from the tree
- This region is a haven for seafood, views and relaxation. With the free time that's afforded on this trip, you're able to explore the coast's famous cuisine, find the ideal picture-postcard views and float along at your own leisure
- The stunning landscape of the Sorrentine Peninsula is a picturesque blend of coastlines, volcanoes and distinctive islands
- Explore rocky coastal pathways and pastel-coloured villages with a Cinque Terre day pass, which allows you to hike at your leisure and use the coast's public transport.
- Get lost in the floating city of Venice and wander the city's maze of alleyways, canals and lagoon islands, and choose whether to enjoy an optional gondola ride.
- Spend two days in Florence, a city known for its beauty and rustic Tuscan cuisine, and choose to discover the cities culinary traditions on optional food excursions.
- Squid ink spaghetti, rich Tuscan soups, a slice of pizza eaten while you gaze on centuries-old architecture – the food culture in Italy is intoxicating.
- Discover the landmarks of Rome with your leader and wander around the Colosseum, Arch of Constantine, the Forum, the Pantheon, the Spanish Steps, Via Dei Condotti.
- Spend your time immersing yourself into the tranquil lifestyle of Lake Como and Garda – admiring the views, getting active by the lake, and indulging in regional food and wine.
- Explore the beautiful villages, estates and gardens dotted around Lake Como, meandering the lake by ferry. Feel the fanciful vibe on the grounds of Bellagio's grand Villa Melzi, then see the shore from a kayak.
- Leave your bags at Milan’s central station and explore the wonders and urban history of this magical city while in transit between Como and Garda.
- Consider the option of taking a cable car up Monte Baldo – with varying degrees of mountain hikes available, or just to sit at the mountaintop restaurant for lunch, this experience gets you sky high above Garda.
- Have plenty of free time lakeside in Garda, perhaps taking up one of the water sports on offer or visiting nearby wineries in the Bardolino region.
- Italy is a foodie's paradise, but as a visitor it can be hard to escape the tourist traps. Your local leaders will give you an insider's guide to this epicurean wonderland
- This trip takes in some of the titans of regional Italian cuisine – Rome (Lazio region), Tuscany, Emilia Romagna and the Veneto
- Tasting the real balsamic vinegar in an acetaia (vinegar loft) is a revelation – it'll be hard to go back to the mass-produced version after this
- A farmstay in Tuscany gives you an insider's glimpse of wine and olive production in this iconic region
- Had too much of the good life? Shake things up by walking part of the pilgrim's route, the glorious Via Francigena
- With hands-on cooking classes led by local masters, you'll learn to roll pasta like a pro, and prepare an authentic tagliatelle al ragu in the city where it all started
- Dazzling cliff-side houses and an impossible coastal location make Cinque Terre one of the world's most romantic destinations
- Adventure through the area's most scenic trails on foot and by bike, including parts of the classic coastal route, all under expert local guidance. Take to the water on a kayak trip to secluded beaches
- If you'd rather spend more time relaxing on the beach, there's flexibility in some places to take a train instead of hike
- Enjoy delicious meals overlooking spectacular cliffs, colourful villages and sparkling seas
- Discover a swathe of medieval marvels, such as the castle and churches of Levanto and the Abbey of San Fruttuoso
- Spend your free time in Barcelona visiting Gaudi's modern basilica, La Sagrada Familia – a Gothic masterpiece that embodies the city’s artistic and progressive heart.
- Hike in the majestic Spanish Pyrenees mountains, revelling in the fresh air, panoramic views and an exhilarating sense of freedom.
- Explore the idyllic Provencal landscapes of southern France and gain an understanding as to why this part of the world is so adored by artists.
- The Leaning Tower may be Pisa’s most iconic image, but there’s so much more to discover – The Piazza dei Miracoli and Pisa Baptistry are masterpieces in Medieval-Italian architecture.
- Enjoy plenty of free time in Rome to discover the ancient Colosseum, stroll through Vatican City and gaze up towards the gods inside St Peter's Basilica.
- Take to the Tuscan countryside and cycle along the Serchio River in Lucca, working up an appetite for the region’s delicious local food and renowned wines.
- Spend a free day exploring the beautiful villages, estates and gardens dotted around Lake Como, criss-crossing the lake by ferry, and consider exploring the grounds of Bellagio's grand Villa Melzi.
- Head with your local leader to a quaint rural village in the heart of Piedmonte to sample world-class local wines from unique grapes grown only in this region – saluti!
- Test yourself on the hilly trails of the Cinque Terre, stopping by the picturesque pastel colour villages of Manarola, Riomaggiore and Vernazza. If you get tired, just jump on the train for the rest of your day!
- Italy’s iconic Rome, Florence and Venice are a haven of renaissance architecture and historic sights. With plenty of time to discover at your own pace, you have the power to decide what you’d like to see.
- Buenos Aires offers an eclectic mix of European, Cosmopolitan and Latin flavours, as well as a booming cultural and nightlife scene. Explore the neighbourhoods of this lively, confident city on a full-day tour with a local guide
- Look for rainbows in the mist of the mighty Iguazu Falls from both the Brazilian and Argentinian sides, and visit a local indigenous community
- Gaze over the dazzling city, mountains and bay of Rio de Janeiro from the foot of the famous Christ the Redeemer statue
- Favelas may sit alongside mansions, but in the heaving metropolis of Rio, everyone’s invited to the party. Immerse yourself in Brazilian culture, dance and music
- Wander around Rome's famous landmarks including the Colosseum, Vatican City, Sistine Chapel, St Peter's Basilica and much more. This is a city that bucket lists were made for
- Feel La Dolce Vita while sipping espresso alongside sharp-dressed locals on the glamorous Sorrentine Peninsula
- Indulge in authentic, traditional pizza in the place of its birth – Naples. Buon appetito!
- Explore the vast, frozen in time ruins of ancient Pompeii, which emerged from the ashes after thousands of years, and take a peak inside the steaming crater of Mt Vesuvius, the volcano that destroyed it
- Hike among the olive groves on the Path of the Gods along the spectacular Amalfi Coast
- Toast to this Italian adventure with a taste of sweet local limoncello
- Begin your adventure in Berlin, an exciting city with a complex history. Use your free time to see the remaining fragments of the infamous wall that once divided the city, but now unites it with murals and memorials.
- Soak up the royal history of Krakow's Wawel Castle and step back in time with a leader-led stroll through the city’s medieval main square.
- Immerse yourself in the bohemian vibes of the Czech Republic, soak up the smooth sounds of jazz at a low-lit bar in Prague and step right into a fairytale in Cesky Krumlov.
- With plenty of free time in classic Vienna and vibrant Budapest, whether you end up eating sachertorte in a neighbourhood cafe or downing a couple of local brews in a ruin bar is totally up to you!
- Escape city life on the peaceful shores of Lake Bled in Slovenia. Visit a church on the tiny island in the centre of the lake and treat yourself to a slice of Bled's famous cream cake.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Italy Experiences
Taking a gondola ride through the famous Venice canals
Experiencing Italy’s world famous cuisine
Taking a walking tour through the modern city of Naples
Visiting the historic city of Florence and gazing upon renowned art pieces
Wandering the ruins of the Roman Forum, where an empire was overseen two millennia ago
Touring Vatican City and the Sistine Chapel, as well as St. Peter’s Basilica - the world’s largest cathedral (in the world’s smallest state)
Visiting the ancient ruins of Pompeii near Naples
Taking a boat trip on the Po River
Drinking in the views from atop the cliffside city of Taormina in Sicily, including the Straits of Messina and volcanic Mt. Etna in the distance
Enjoying a picnic and wine tasting in Tuscany, one of the most beautiful regions in all of Italy
Snorkeling in the blue waters of the Mediterranean Sea in Sicily.
Italy Trip Reviews
7,036 Italy Tour Reviews - Summary 96% Recommend
All Italy tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.6 for all Italy trips.