North America Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- CITY TOUR in Washington D.C., Ottawa, Quebec City, Montreal, Boston
- ORIENTATION of New York City, Toronto
- VISIT Liberty Bell Center, Lancaster County, Corning Museum of Glass, Niagara Falls
- VIEW the Empire State Building, White House, Lincoln Memorial, Independence Hall
- You've never seen true colour until you've been to a Mexican market. Practice your bargaining skills, snap some photos and pick up traditional handicrafts at the markets in Mexico City and Puebla.
- Eat your way through arty Oaxaca at its many market vendors and authentic restaurants – mole poblano and mezcal for dinner? Delicioso!
- Escape the Mexican heat in the highlands of San Cristobal de las Casas. This town is surrounded by indigenous villages where traditional customs and roots are thriving.
- Chichen Itza is one the New Seven Wonders of the World. It's not hard to see why – strolling around the ancient Maya ruins feels pretty wondrous.
- Cool off with a swim in the waters of Agua Azul, a series of waterfalls named for their stunning blue colour.
- CITY TOUR of Vancouver, Victoria, Banff
- VISIT scenic Butchart Gardens
- VIEW Lake Louise, Stanley Park, Athabasca Glacier, Mount Robson, Jasper, Banff National Park
- SCENIC DRIVE along the Icefields Parkway
- ORIENTATION of Charlotte, Asheville, Lexington, Louisville
- VISIT Nascar Hall of Fame, George Vanderbilt's Biltmore Estate, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Museum of the Cherokee Indian, Kentucky Horse Park, Alltech Brewing & Distilling Co., Old Friends, Churchill Downs, Kentucky Derby Museum or the Louisville Slugger Museum
- Spend time exploring Edmonton, Peace River and Banff at your own pace, stopping to admire the surrounding mountain ranges.
- Navigate the frozen waterfalls, ice caves and ice formations of Maligne Canyon on a guided exploration of the deepest accessible canyon in Jasper National Park.
- Gaze at the clear night skies of Peace River and witness the natural phenomenon of Aurora, often referred to as the northern lights.
- Cruise from Jasper to Banff driving on the Icefields Parkway and enjoy the roadside views – made even more scenic when you’re not the one driving.
- Discover the natural beauty of renowned Lake Louise, and perhaps join an optional sleigh ride around its snow-covered banks.
- Explore the multiple sides of LA and the people that live in this diverse megacity – Hollywood wannabes to Beverly Hills ballers, and all crazy characters in between.
- Hike through beautiful Joshua Tree National Park among desert cactus gardens and unusual rock formations, before hitting the road on Route 66.
- The Grand Canyon National Park takes time to really discover – you'll spend two nights in the park, unlike on most trips, so there's a full day to explore properly and see the mighty canyon up close.
- Fly like an eagle and treat yourself to a scenic helicopter flight over the winding gorges of the Grand Canyon – an experience you’ll never forget.
- Lose yourself among the bright desert lights of Las Vegas and the Strip, and remember, what happens in Vegas...
- From flashy Las Vegas to the arid desert of Zion National Park and the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon, you will discover a range of American landscapes at your own pace.
- Admire the oasis of Emerald Pools during a hike past waterfalls and lush vegetation in Utah’s Zion National Park.
- Ride a jeep through Utah's iconic Monument Valley, and then share stories and a meal by the campfire with members of Navajo Nation.
- Be left gobsmacked by the steep red-rock escarpments and gorges of the Grand Canyon, experiencing a bird’s eye view of the park with an optional unforgettable helicopter adventure.
- Explore a city that’s home to dreamers, fortune seekers, and celebrities in the City of Angels: Los Angeles.
- Get lost in the labyrinthine streets of the Albaicin in Granada before crossing the river to visit the imposing Moorish fortress of the Alhambra.
- Unwind in a laidback fishing town in the Algarve, soaking up the sun on the beach and enjoying an included boat trip around the rocky cliffs of the coast.
- Join pilgrims along the last leg of the famous Camino de Santiago journey as they reach the historic cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
- Pulsing with quirky and vibrant art and architecture, walking the streets of Barcelona is the perfect way to immerse yourself in the unique culture of Catalonia.
- Sit back, relax and watch the water flow by in one of Porto’s river restaurants while you sample a couple of varieties of the city’s signature wine – port!
- Drive across frozen plains and past massive peaks, walk across remote tundras to glacial rivers and canoe in the spectacular waters of Prince William Sound.
- Go deep into the wild and experience unforgettable scenery on a camping adventure, staying closer than ever before to the mountains and glaciers.
- Denali National Park is home to an abundance of native wildlife. Visit the park for a unique safari experience to see moose, caribou, grizzly bears, Dall sheep and wolves in their natural habitat.
- Get close to sea otters, puffins and humpback whales on an optional kayaking trip in Valdez. You might even see bald eagles in the sky above!
- See North America's biggest collection of glaciers and some of its tallest and most impressive mountains on your tour of the Wrangell-St Elias National Park.
- Experience the fiery passion and rhythm of a traditional flamenco dance performance in Seville.
- It's a pretty special thing to chill out on a beach in Andalucian Spain, knowing North Africa is just across the water. Explore the scenic Costa de la Luz, and kick back with some tapas and sangria in Tarifa.
- The town of Ronda is split in two by a deep rocky chasm. Follow in the path of the Romans, as you cross from one side to the other along an ancient bridge.
- Discover Cordoba's great mosque, the Mezquita, one of the most accomplished examples of Moorish architecture in the world. The lavish gardens and opulent rooms of Granada's spectacular Alhambra Palace aren't bad either.
- Witness a spectacular Spanish sunset on a beach in Valencia, while feasting on a bowl of the world's best paella.
- The cosmopolitan city of Barcelona pulses with culture, art and an outstanding drinking and dining scene. Discover the eccentric modernist architecture of Antonio Gaudi, who made Barcelona his artistic playground. The unfinished masterpiece of La Sagrada Familia is particularly mind-blowing.
- Learn some Spanish during an informal lesson in old-world Antigua, then put it to good use during the rest of your Central American adventure.
- Wonder at steep, granite steps that reach into the sky while exploring the temples and monuments of Tikal: the seat of Maya power that mysteriously collapsed in AD950.
- Explore Livingston: a unique riverside town where the local culture is heavily influenced by the Afro-Caribbean Garifuna population.
- Walk along cobblestone streets and shop for local handicrafts in the tiny inland island town of Flores and learn the traditional methods of making tortillas in a small-group workshop.
- Recharge and rejuvenate on the white sands of the Yucatan Peninsula, relaxing in stunning Bacalar and laidback Tulum.
- Get wild in Jasper National Park, where it’s possible to spot moose, elk, deer, bears and coyotes among the sea of evergreen pine and spruce trees.
- Take an included canoeing adventure and camp overnight on the remote shore of Clearwater Lake, where you can fall asleep under a blanket of stars.
- Enjoy plenty of free time to explore Canada’s premier outdoor adventure hub, Whistler, at your own pace. Hike rugged trails or munch on ‘beaver tails’ – the choice is yours.
- Lakes, mountains, glaciers: the Rockies feature an array of striking landscapes that are remarkable no matter what time of year you visit.
- This tour gets you to the heart of the best destinations in the Canadian Rockies with a wilderness-loving local as your guide.
- Enjoy a hearty home-cooked meal with an Amish family in Ohio, a unique opportunity to get to know people from a misunderstood and mythologised culture.
- Scratch a big one off the bucket list with a day trip to Niagara Falls.
- Both the USA and Canada can be overwhelming for travellers, so this trip balances scheduled sightseeing with plenty of free time for you to relax or explore at your own pace.
- Explore the quaint and quintessentially New England town of Stowe, a tiny town surrounded by thick forest that changes colour with the seasons.
- Wander the narrow cobblestone streets of Old Montreal on a walking tour that will transport you back in time.
- Learn about indigenous culture and history in Monument Valley during a tour led by a Navajo guide and spend the night in a traditional hogan hut.
- Hike past sculpted sandstone formations, waterfalls and hanging gardens in Zion National Park, roasting s’mores around a campfire by night.
- See the exquisite sandstone arches of the aptly named Arches National Park and witness spectacular desert colours during a sunset hike.
- Get closer to nature in cabins and campsites, the perfect way to take advantage of Utah’s dark skies for some premier stargazing.
- A local leader who is passionate about Utah’s parks, a small group of like-minded explorers and the grand wilderness of the west – a recipe for pure adventure.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top North America Experiences
Standing on the rim of Arizona’s Grand Canyon, gaping at the magnitude of it all. Mounting a mule to ride to the canyon floor, and hiking through.
Exploring the vibrant city of Toronto in Canada
Experiencing the hustle and bustle of New York City, seeing a Broadway show, walking through historic neighborhoods, and visiting Ellis Island
Viewing the Mayan pyramids in Chichen Itza and Tulum on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula.
Marveling at the thundering Niagara Falls and feeling the intense spray as you take a ferry around the magnificent site.
Taking an epic train journey through the landscapes of Alaska.
Touring Northern California’s coastal redwoods (the tallest trees on earth) and central California’s sequoias (the most massive living things).
Waiting faithfully for Old Faithful, the most famous geyser in Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming, to erupt (it always does).
Practicing French while sipping wine at a café in Old Quebec, Canada.
Cruising the Mississippi River on an old fashioned riverboat down to New Orleans, then feasting on crawfish and oysters.
North America Trip Reviews
6,578 North America Tour Reviews - Summary 89% Recommend
All North America tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.4 for all North America trips.