South Africa Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Explore Table Mountain (Cape Town)
- See the Cape Peninsula (Cape Town)
- Explore amazing Hluhluwe Game Reserve
- Visit to Kruger National Park
- Vist Apartheid Museum (Johannesburg)
- VISIT the Kruger National Park, Bourke's Luck Potholes, eSwatini (formerly Swaziland), Port Elizabeth, Tsitsikamma National Park, Knysna and Table Mountain by Cable Car
- VIEW Blyde River Canyon, God's Window, the Drakensberg mountains and Storms River Mouth
- SEE South Africa's wildlife and birds on Safari
- Get the perfect opportunity to take pleasure in the wildlife and birdlife
- Enjoy the incredible relaxing experience of cruising on the Chobe River
- Awesome view of magnificent Victoria Falls
- Cherish brilliant safari experience
- With permits included in your trip, seek out the rare mountain gorilla on a trek through Uganda's steamy forests and spend an unforgettable hour in their presence.
- Get the chance to spot and get close to all of the Big Five and more in Masai Mara National Reserve, Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, Etosha National Park and Chobe National Park, among others.
- Experience the two sides of Jinja – a riverside retreat at the source of the Nile, but also the adventure capital of Uganda.
- Chill out on the northern beaches of Zanzibar enjoying white sand and sparkling blue sea of the Indian Ocean, and cross over to Africa's Atlantic coastline for seafood spreads and dune bashing experiences.
- Meet with village communities during your African adventure, including the colourful Maasai tribespeople, the hunter-gatherer traditions of the San communities, and local fisherman on Lake Malawi.
- Combine contrasting - but consistently luxurious - stays in the city center, wild bush and picturesque Victoria Falls during a single itinerary
- Discover the Cape of Good Hope and the Boulders African penguin colony
- Dive into local cuisine with Chef's Table experiences, dining on a chef-led progressive dinner and cooking traditional dishes side-by-side with a chef
- Experience game drives, bush walks, hippo walks, astronomy and wildlife lectures during a stay at Lion Sands, the only reserve in South Africa to offer safari in both the Sabi and Sand rivers ecosystem
- Cruise the Zambezi River at sunset, taking time to appreciate the fiery African sky
- Explore thunderous Victoria Falls by private walking tour and private cycling tour
- Visit the majestic and magnificent victoria falls and enjoy a mouth-watering feast of local meats, including warthog, buffalo, crocodile and impala at our feature stay property, victoria falls safari lodge.
- Glide through the okavango delta in a mokoro (traditional dugout canoe) and experience the ambience of this beautiful waterscape.
- Head out on an afternoon excursion to the makgadikgadi pans, looking out for meerkats and meandering elephants, and enjoy a sundowner in the shadow of an old baobab tree.
- Learn more about the kalahari from the knowledgeable san people as they sing and dance with you by the campfire.
- Enjoy relaxing periods between safaris where you can snooze, write a diary, read a book or just take in the magnificent views
- Enjoy dinner as you watch the sunset from the deck of your houseboat on the okavango delta.
- Witness the wildlife in etosha national park on a full days game drive.
- The chance to see giraffe, kudu, impala, baboon, hippo, crocodile, warthog, wildebeest, impala, waterbuck, spotted hyena, jackal, zebra, elephant, lion, cheetah and even the elusive leopard.
- Enjoy a wine and cheese tasting experience on a working wine farm in the olifants river valley, with your host ‘sparky’.
- Rise early and witness the colourful sunrise and a picnic breakfast from the edge of fish river canyon, the second largest chasm of its type in the world.
- Step inside faldela's purple house in the bo-kaap region of cape town for an authentic home-cooked dinner. taste some of the traditional dishes such as 'bredie', 'chilli bites' and 'koesisters'.
- Join locals for lunch at a nearby Shebeen, or house tavern.
- Experience an unforgettable African Boma dinner.
- Enjoy lunch amongst the ancient milkwood trees in Knysna.
- Experience a thrilling cable car ride rising more than 3,000 feet.
- Learn the local beat with a lesson on the djembe drums.
- Taste the incredible wines that Stellenbosch is acclaimed for.
- Search for the “Big 5” on two open-air safari game drives.
- Marvel at the breathtaking Drakensberg Mountains.
- Behold the luxurious mansions of Soweto — South West Township.
- Support local conservation efforts by visiting the Khama Rhino Sanctuary, the only place left in Botswana where both black and white rhinos reside.
- Go wildlife-spotting with your small group and expert guides along the river at Chobe National Park, home to the world's highest concentration of African elephants.
- Camping on a remote island in the heart of the Okavango wilderness is an experience you’ll never forget. As the sun sets and night falls, the sounds of Africa come alive.
- Explore the magnificent Makgadikgadi Salt Pans, some of the largest salt flats in the world. These mind-bending plains make for some magical photography.
- Your first glimpse of the thundering Victoria Falls is undeniably captivating. With additional time for optional adventures, you’ll get to view the waterfalls from all angles!
- Glide through the lily pad-filled waterways of the Okovango Delta on a mokoro (a small dugout canoe) and escape civilisation with an overnight stay at your island camp.
- Be mesmerised by the staggering force and beauty of Victoria Falls, and experience firsthand why it’s known as the ‘smoke that thunders’ – a natural wonder that must be seen to be believed.
- Choose to take an optional cruise down the Chobe River for the opportunity to get up close (but not too personal!) to cheetahs, crocodiles and the magnificent African elephant.
- Listen to the songs and stories of Namibia’s San people, the oldest inhabitants of southern Africa, and gain an insight into their traditional customs and beliefs.
- Enjoy a full-day game drive in Etosha National Park, home to a wide range of southern Africa's wildlife, including the endangered black rhino.
- Visit the Victoria Falls Wildlife Trust and learn about the rescue and rehabilitation of wildlife, human-wildlife conflict and anti-poaching efforts.
- Pay the elephants and lions of Hwange National Park a visit in an open-air safari vehicle, stopping along the way for the perfect wildlife photographs.
- Track rhinos on foot with an expert local guide in Matobo National Park – an exhilarating way to experience the wildlife of Zimbabwe.
- Immerse yourself in the ancient culture of the Venda people at a two-night village homestay in South Africa's Limpopo province.
- Marvel at the unforgettable views of Blyde River Canyon. This spectacular gorge is up there with the world's largest and is probably the greenest of the lot.
- Listen to the songs and stories of Namibia’s San people, the oldest inhabitants of Southern Africa, and gain an insight into their traditional customs and beliefs.
- Enjoy a full-day game drive in Etosha National Park, home to a wide range of Southern Africa's wildlife, including the endangered black rhino.
- Glide through the lily-pad clad waterways of the Okovango Delta on a mokoro (a small dugout canoe) and escape civilisation at with an overnight stay at your island camp.
- Take an optional cruise down the Chobe River for the opportunity to get up close (but not too personal!) to cheetahs, crocodiles and the Chobe icon – the magnificent African elephant.
- Be mesmerised by the staggering force and beauty of Victoria Falls, and experience first-hand why it’s renowned as the ‘smoke that thunders’ – a natural wonder that must be seen to be believed.
- Whether it’s searching for gentle giants on a game drive through Addo Elephant National Park or hiking past antelope in Bontebok National Park, there’s no shortage of wildlife spotting on this adventure.
- Embark on a half-day guided walk in the mighty Drakensburg Range – one of many spectacular hikes along the Garden Route that you can choose to discover in your free time.
- Rise early with your small group to watch wild meerkats wake and warm in the morning sun, before continuing south to Swellendam – South Africa’s third-oldest town.
- Cruise the classic R320 route – stopping by a couple of wineries for local tastings – en route to South Africa's southernmost point at Cape Agulhus.
- As you tour the Wild Coast, stop by South Africa’s Xhosa community for an afternoon spent with a local guide, learning about enduring customs and cultures in this tribal group.
- Go on an epic safari with expert local guides in search of lions, hyenas and more through Kruger National Park – one of the largest game reserves in southern Africa.
- Go overland in a purpose built truck and stop to take in geological wonders like Bourke’s Luck Potholes and God’s Window along the Panorama Route.
- Spend a few days however you please on the white-sand beaches of Mozambique’s Ponta Malongane. Snorkel? Sun? Seafood feast? The choice is yours.
- Visit the heartlands of the Zulu people and spend the night in a homestay, where you’ll be treated to traditional food and song, plus a meeting with the local healer.
- Swap four wheels for two legs on a guided hike through the Hlane Royal National Park, keeping an eye out for antelopes and zebras passing by.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top South Africa Experiences
Taking a safari tour at Kruger National Park and spotting the Big Five – lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants and Cape buffalo
Exploring the exciting coastal city of Cape Town
Getting a real taste of local life touring one of the townships in the Cape Flats area of Cape Town.
Enjoying an afternoon of winetasting in the South African Winelands
Marveling at mountains, forests and waterfalls along the Panorama Route, one of South Africa’s most famous scenic drives.
Touring the prison and jail cells where the late president Nelson Mandela was held on Robben Island during the apartheid era
Going on a culinary tour and tasting South Africa’s unique cuisine
South Africa Trip Reviews
1,477 South Africa Tour Reviews - Summary 96% Recommend
All South Africa safaris, tours, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all South Africa trips.