South Africa Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Retreats Similar to a self guided tour but staying in one location only with activities and day outings included as a part of the stay.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Cape Town Kids City Tour
- Cape Peninsula Tour with picnic lunch
- Cape Winelands for Kids Tour (Full-Day)
- Take a stroll through the colorful streets of Bo-Kaap in Cape Town. Experience this former township, which is just as vibrant in history as it is in color!
- Browse local craft markets, check out Green Market Square in Cape Town and explore Woodmill Market in Stellenbosch.
- Say hello to the Western Cape's cutest residents - African Penguins! Head to Boulder's Beach and watch the little guys bask in the sun and swim in the turquoise water.
- Keep an eye out for Southern Right Whales in Hermanus, also known as South Africa's whale watching capital.
- See the Big 5 up-close! Enjoy a luxurious stay in the brush and experience daily safari drives.
- Visit Cape Town
- Enjoy a full day at your leisure
- Visit Kruger National Park
- Visit mighty Victoria Falls for an awe-inspiring experience
- Experience an authentic bush dinner under the stars in Pilanesberg National Park.
- Sample South African wines at a vineyard tasting.
- Get to know a Capetonian family over dinner in their home.
- Head out for an African sundowner via 4x4 and enjoy the sunset.
- Interact with African elephants.
- Explore the Dutch architecture and vineyards of the Cape winelands.
- Immerse yourself in nature and seek out the elusive "Big 5" on 8 different wildlife safaris.
- Witness the incredible beauty and power of Victoria Falls.
- Be whisked away to the top of Table Mountain on an aerial cable car.
See the highlights of Cape Town on the half day city. Relax for a few days in this Mother City or choose optional tours to the Cape Peninsula and Cape Winelands. Then an exciting safari awaits you - game viewing in open safari vehicles by day and at night and on guided bush walks. Simply South Africa at it’s finest!
- Did you know that rhinos come out to play when the sun goes down? Let us prove it to you during a sunset 4WD through the Khama Rhino Sanctuary.
- Try and tell the difference between your buddy’s snores and the sound of wild hippos while camping in the heart of the Okavango wilderness.
- There's nothing more relaxing than feeling the African sun on your face as you lie back in a mokoro, eyes closed while your expert poler propels you through the Okavango Delta.
- Elephants never forget, and you won’t forget them either. Cruise down the river in Chobe National Park, home of the world's highest concentration of African elephants.
- Learn what life is like for the Hambukushu people, traditionally considered masters of fishing, boat building, and making it rain.
- Cape Town Hop-on/Hop-off City Tour
- Shark Cave Diving Tour in Gansbaai
- Join locals for lunch at a nearby Shebeen, or house tavern.
- Experience an African Boma dinner in Kruger.
- Enjoy lunch amongst the ancient milkwood trees in Knysna.
- Experience a thrilling cable car ride rising more than 3,000 feet.
- Learn the local beat with a lesson on the djembe drums.
- Taste the incredible wines that Stellenbosch is acclaimed for.
- Search for the “Big 5” on two open-air safari game drives.
- Marvel at the breathtaking Drakensberg Mountains.
- Tour the historically relevant Soweto area — South West Township.
- Enjoy game drive in specially outfitted safari vehicle
- Visit Kingdom of Swaziland
- Boat rides at Lake St Lucia and Knysna
- Explore Cape of Good Hope
- Visit the Victoria Falls Wildlife Trust and learn about the rescue and rehabilitation of wildlife, human-wildlife conflict and anti-poaching efforts.
- Pay the elephants and lions of Hwange National Park a visit in an open-air safari vehicle, stopping along the way for the perfect wildlife photographs.
- Track rhinos on foot with an expert local guide in Matobo National Park – an exhilarating way to experience the wildlife of Zimbabwe.
- Immerse yourself in the ancient culture of the Venda people at a two-night village homestay in South Africa's Limpopo province.
- Marvel at the unforgettable views of Blyde River Canyon. This spectacular gorge is up there with the world's largest and is probably the greenest of the lot.
- Taste south africa’s acclaimed wine heritage with a special wine tasting in the cape winelands, where ducks form part of the workforce and hand-crafted wines are waiting to be sampled.
- Experience some of the world’s best whale watching without leaving dry land. hermanus’ coastal walkways have the perfect spots to sit and watch the whales as they frolic in in the bay.
- Take the ultimate south african wildlife adventure. explore some of southern africa’s largest reserves – kariega game reserve, greater kruger national park and chobe national park – in 4wd’s with expert local guides.
- The thundering victoria falls is one of the world's most spectacular natural wonders, a phenomenon of sight and sound. then return to the victoria falls safari lodge, our feature stay on this trip, for views over their watering hole.
- Get the perfect opportunity to take pleasure in the wildlife and birdlife
- Enjoy the incredible relaxing experience of cruising on the Chobe River
- Awesome view of magnificent Victoria Falls
- Cherish brilliant safari experience
- Witness some of the most breathtaking scenery in africa, from table mountain to the rugged world’s end of the cape peninsula
- Retrace 350 years of cape town’s dramatic history on a three-hour walking tour with a specialist local guide
- Discover why cape town is one of south africa's culinary hot-spots, sampling its fine restaurants, wines and cheeses
- Traverse the south african landscape as the scenery changes from dry savannas to the great escarpment and winelands, all in the comfort of the plush blue train
- Embark on the ultimate south african wildlife adventure, exploring the country’s biggest reserve in a 4x4 with an expert local guide
- Make one of the greatest road trips on the entire continent, past incredible landscapes of mountains and valleys, waterfalls and canyons, on the spectacular panorama route
- Cape Peninsula Tour (full-day)
- Winelands Tour (Full-Day)
- Cape Town City & Table Mountain Tour (Half-Day)
- Journey to Freedom Tour (Full-Day)
- Devour fresh seafood with great views in Lamberts Bay at an open air restaurant
- Canoe along the picturesque Orange River on a half-day excursion
- Experience an eerie silence at the Sossusvlei sand dunes from atop of dune 45
- Spend 2 nights on a houseboat as your base for exploring the Okavango Delta
- Drive through the Elephant Highway between Nata & Kasane
- Relax on a sunset cruise along the Chobe River spotting bird life and hippos
- The scale of Fish River Canyon is staggering, but stunning African birdlife and a colour-changing sunset makes it so much more than one of the world's largest gorges
- Learn more about the Kalahari from the knowledgeable San people as they sing and dance by the campfire
- Head out on a morning game drive in open 4WDs in the Chobe National Park
- Explore the Makgadikgadi Pans; scenery, sundowners, Baobabs and Meerkats!
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top South Africa Experiences
Taking a safari tour at Kruger National Park and spotting the Big Five – lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants and Cape buffalo
Exploring the exciting coastal city of Cape Town
Getting a real taste of local life touring one of the townships in the Cape Flats area of Cape Town.
Enjoying an afternoon of winetasting in the South African Winelands
Marveling at mountains, forests and waterfalls along the Panorama Route, one of South Africa’s most famous scenic drives.
Touring the prison and jail cells where the late president Nelson Mandela was held on Robben Island during the apartheid era
Going on a culinary tour and tasting South Africa’s unique cuisine
South Africa Trip Reviews
1,580 South Africa Tour Reviews - Summary 96% Recommend
All South Africa safaris, tours, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all South Africa trips.