United States Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Activities & Interests
Attractions & Cities Visited
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Impacted by Climate Change
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- From flashy Las Vegas to the arid desert of Zion National Park and the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon, you will discover a range of American landscapes at your own pace.
- Admire the oasis of Emerald Pools during a hike past waterfalls and lush vegetation in Utah’s Zion National Park.
- Ride a jeep through Utah's iconic Monument Valley, and then share stories and a meal by the campfire with members of Navajo Nation.
- Be left gobsmacked by the steep red-rock escarpments and gorges of the Grand Canyon, experiencing a bird’s eye view of the park with an optional unforgettable helicopter adventure.
- Explore a city that’s home to dreamers, fortune seekers, and celebrities in the City of Angels: Los Angeles.
- Experience the rugged scenery of Alaska by land from the most populous city of Anchorage, through quaint towns like Palmer, all the way to the untouched back country.
- Head on an Alaskan safari for a unique chance to see moose, caribou, grizzly bears, Dall sheep and wolves in their natural habitat in Denali National Park.
- Witness the land mammals of Denali before getting up close to sea otters, puffins and humpback whales on a boat trip among glaciers in Valdez.
- Discover Seward, one of Alaska's oldest and most scenic communities, which offers a bustling harbour, quaint shops and galleries, and is a great base from which to explore Kenai Fjords National Park.
- Sit back and take in stunning views along the dramatic coastlines of the Turnagain Arm from Seward to Anchorage, while someone else does the driving.
- Explore the multiple sides of LA and the people that live in this diverse megacity – Hollywood wannabes to Beverly Hills ballers, and all crazy characters in between.
- Hike through beautiful Joshua Tree National Park among desert cactus gardens and unusual rock formations, before hitting the road on Route 66.
- The Grand Canyon National Park takes time to really discover – you'll spend two nights in the park, unlike on most trips, so there's a full day to explore properly and see the mighty canyon up close.
- Fly like an eagle and treat yourself to a scenic helicopter flight over the winding gorges of the Grand Canyon – an experience you’ll never forget.
- Lose yourself among the bright desert lights of Las Vegas and the Strip, and remember, what happens in Vegas...
- Get lost in the labyrinthine streets of the Albaicin in Granada before crossing the river to visit the imposing Moorish fortress of the Alhambra.
- Unwind in a laidback fishing town in the Algarve, soaking up the sun on the beach and enjoying an included boat trip around the rocky cliffs of the coast.
- Join pilgrims along the last leg of the famous Camino de Santiago journey as they reach the historic cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
- Pulsing with quirky and vibrant art and architecture, walking the streets of Barcelona is the perfect way to immerse yourself in the unique culture of Catalonia.
- Sit back, relax and watch the water flow by in one of Porto’s river restaurants while you sample a couple of varieties of the city’s signature wine – port!
- Experience the fiery passion and rhythm of a traditional flamenco dance performance in Seville.
- It's a pretty special thing to chill out on a beach in Andalucian Spain, knowing North Africa is just across the water. Explore the scenic Costa de la Luz, and kick back with some tapas and sangria in Tarifa.
- The town of Ronda is split in two by a deep rocky chasm. Follow in the path of the Romans, as you cross from one side to the other along an ancient bridge.
- Discover Cordoba's great mosque, the Mezquita, one of the most accomplished examples of Moorish architecture in the world. The lavish gardens and opulent rooms of Granada's spectacular Alhambra Palace aren't bad either.
- Witness a spectacular Spanish sunset on a beach in Valencia, while feasting on a bowl of the world's best paella.
- The cosmopolitan city of Barcelona pulses with culture, art and an outstanding drinking and dining scene. Discover the eccentric modernist architecture of Antonio Gaudi, who made Barcelona his artistic playground. The unfinished masterpiece of La Sagrada Familia is particularly mind-blowing.
- Learn about indigenous culture and history in Monument Valley during a tour led by a Navajo guide and spend the night in a traditional hogan hut.
- Hike past sculpted sandstone formations, waterfalls and hanging gardens in Zion National Park, roasting s’mores around a campfire by night.
- See the exquisite sandstone arches of the aptly named Arches National Park and witness spectacular desert colours during a sunset hike.
- Get closer to nature in cabins and campsites, the perfect way to take advantage of Utah’s dark skies for some premier stargazing.
- A local leader who is passionate about Utah’s parks, a small group of like-minded explorers and the grand wilderness of the west – a recipe for pure adventure.
- Spending three nights in Yosemite National Park means two full days of exploration. With so many options on what to do, you’ll be spoilt for choice.
- Discover another side to Yosemite’s towering granite cliffs, redwood forests and epic night skies by hiking one of its lesser-known trails – Hetch Hetchy – with your local leader.
- Soak up the scenery on a relaxing visit to a natural hot spring near the township of Bishop. It’s the perfect way to relax and get to know your travel pals.
- With a knowledgeable leader and driver getting you from place to place, all you’ve got to worry about is snapping the best photo and getting the most out of your Californian road trip.
- Where better to end your adventure than in San Francisco, the eclectic, multicultural 'City by the Bay'. With the option to extend your visit a couple of days, you won’t be wanting to go home just yet.
- Gaze in awe at the artistic feats of the Spanish masters in Madrid, and experience a different sort of mastery with a fiery flamenco performance in Seville.
- Unwind in a laidback fishing village in the Algarve on Portugal's scenic south coast. Soak up the sun on a beach and enjoy a cocktail-coloured sunset over the Atlantic Ocean.
- People from all over the world come to Spain to walk the famous Camino de Santiago. Join pilgrims along the last leg of the journey, as they reach the historic cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
- The fortified medieval city of Pamplona is a great place to discover on foot. Weave through the city's winding alleyways to the immense Gothic Cathedral and walk down the street of the famous bull run.
- Logrono is bursting with delicious local produce and wine, just waiting to be enjoyed on an included tapas crawl. Delicioso!
- It's a pretty special thing to chill out on a beach in Andalusian Spain, knowing North Africa is just across the water. Explore the scenic Costa de la Luz and kick back with some tapas and sangria in Tarifa.
- Witness a spectacular Spanish sunset on a beach in Valencia, while feasting on a bowl of some of the world's best paella.
- The cosmopolitan city of Barcelona pulses with culture, art and an outstanding drinking and dining scene. Discover the eccentric architecture of Gaudi who made Barcelona his artistic playground – the unfinished masterpiece of La Sagrada Familia is particularly mind-blowing.
- Logrono is bursting with delicious local produce and wine, just waiting to be enjoyed on an included tapas crawl. Delicioso!
- Take a long siesta on the golden beaches of San Sebastian, one of Spain's most scenic coastal destinations. As the sun goes down, join the crowds as they come out to play among the city's exciting nightlife.
- Discover the needle-like hoodoo pinnacles of Bryce Canyon National Park and the sheer red sandstone canyons of Zion National Park.
- Cycle through Snow Canyon State Park viewing ancient lava flows and petrified sand dunes.
- Challenge yourself to inspiring climbs and freewheeling descents past millions of years of geologic history in the multihued rock layers of the Colorado Plateau.
- Enjoy the best of Southwestern culture, cuisine and history in the same lands Butch Cassidy once called home.
- Swap biking for hiking in the canyons and peaks of Zion National Park, with a chance to hike one of the iconic hiking trails.
- Visit the Henry Ford Museum and explore Greenfield Village.
- Climb aboard your horse-drawn carriage for an island tour.
- Explore the many gardens of the Frederik Meijer Gardens and Sculpture Park.
- Spend two nights at the glorious Victorian-era resort, the Grand Hotel.
- Enjoy a guided tour of Chicago's unique and remarkable landmarks.
- Experience the architectural artistry of Alden B. Dow’s home during a guided tour.
- No great west coast road trip is complete without some time in Los Angeles. Fulfil your dreams of strolling the Hollywood Walk of Fame, or people watching down at Santa Monica.
- Vegas is a spectacle by night, but what happens before dark? Appreciate the neon-filled city at all hours of the day with time and flexibility to do as you please.
- Take a bird’s eye view and admire the winding gorges and desolate rock landscape of the Grand Canyon by helicopter in an unmissable optional activity.
- Cover Yosemite’s many trails over two full days and three nights dedicated to the park. You will be able to hike and explore until your heart (and camera) is content.
- San Francisco is an ideal destination to spend some extra time in, exploring its vibrant heart and the diverse scenery of its surrounds. Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Silicon Valley, Napa… they’re all at your fingertips!
- Beginning in the eccentric city of San Francisco, explore the hidden gems of Chinatown with a local insider. From dim sims to traditional tea – savour the treats and tastings of this iconic neighbourhood on your personalised Urban Adventure.
- From shimmering blue waters in summer to snow-dusted pine forest in winter – enjoy a full day of optional activities to suit every adventurer, in every season, during your 2-night stay in Lake Tahoe.
- Featuring sequoia forests, granite cliff faces and cascading waterfalls – get the most out of your Yosemite experience by spending three nights in the park, meaning two full days of exploration.
- With undulating sand dunes, water-sculpted canyons, extinct volcanic craters and fields of wildflowers that blossom in the spring: Death Valley is a geological paradise.
- Wrap up your west coast adventure on the glitzy Strip of Las Vegas – hit the town for a dose of bright lights and the chance to win big!
- Embark on a road trip across the most soulful and hospitable part of the USA, from the historic settlements to the musical centres.
- Take a sobering look at the history of slavery and segregation in the South and celebrate the bravery and humanity of heroes like Rosa Parks.
- From biscuits to barbecue, savour Southern cuisine in all its glory. Make sure you’ve got a bib handy, as it tends to get messy.
- Tap your toes and shake the floorboards during a line dancing lesson, then get your honky-tonk on with locals in Nashville's Wildhorse Saloon.
- Lively New Orleans is a fitting place to end your trip. Discover French, Creole, Spanish and North American influences in the architecture, food and music of the 'Big Easy'.
- Experience a chuck wagon dinner and cowboy entertainment.
- Discover a world of color and light on a breakfast cruise on Lake Powell.
- Explore the Buffalo Bill Center of the West, a tribute to Buffalo Bill Cody.
- Meet Native Americans and discuss their unique and colorful culture.
- Make yourself at home with a 2-night stay in Denver, the "Mile High City."
- Spend a night at the spectacular Grand Canyon.
- Visit Yellowstone National Park, home to the famous Old Faithful Geyser.
- See one of the country's most famous landmarks, Mount Rushmore.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top United States Experiences
Taking a history tour in Boston, along the Freedom Trail and visiting pre-revolutionary sights.
Exploring the busy, vibrant streets of New York City
Taking a small ship cruise in Alaska and admiring the beauty and abundant wildlife of America's "Last Frontier"
Seeing the lush greenery of the Hawaiian Islands
Walking the boardwalks in Yellowstone National Park to view the geysers and boiling, hissing mudpots.
Wine tasting in California and learning about how the wine industry began here
Driving the Avenue of the Giants in northern California, in awe of the ancient redwoods, the tallest trees on earth.
Standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon and peering into the depths of one of nature’s great wonders.
Hiking to a waterfall in California’s Yosemite National Park, where it's easy to find stunning hikes no matter your physical level.
Rafting the Salmon River in Idaho for whitewater thrills.
Cruising down the Mississippi in an old-fashioned paddle wheeler
Sailing through the Columbia River Gorge
United States Trip Reviews
2,583 United States Tour Reviews - Summary 93% Recommend
All United States tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.6 for all United States trips.