United States Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Savor a Polynesian luau featuring tropical drinks and a sumptuous feast.
- Spend time at the largest coffee estate in Hawaii and learn about their crop.
- Enjoy a traditional Hawaiian floral lei welcome.
- Enjoy a cruise on tranquil Wailua River in Kauai.
- In the town of Haleiwa, learn why surfers from around the world gather here.
- Behold the breathtaking Waimea Canyon, the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific."
- Embark on a journey along Oahu's famous North Shore.
- Remember Pearl Harbor as you visit the USS Arizona Memorial.
- Watch Old Faithful geyser erupt, sending steam high in the air.
- Jump into the world of Black Hills gold on a tour.
- Experience rugged Badlands National Park along the famed Loop Road.
- Explore Yellowstone National Park, the first national park in the world.
- Visit rambling Deadwood, a National Historic Landmark.
- Indulge in a taste of a New Orleans favorite — beignets at Café Du Monde.
- Enjoy dinner at The Court of Two Sisters.
- Learn to cook New Orleans-style at the New Orleans School of Cooking.
- Experience a spirited jazz revue at a jazz club in the French Quarter.
- Soak in the ambiance of the old South with a drive along St. Charles Avenue.
- Journey through Louisiana's swamp country on a narrated cruise.
- Join a local guide for a walking tour of the famous French Quarter.
- Enjoy a panoramic tour of New Orleans featuring St. Louis Cemetery, opened in 1853.
- Enjoy Creole delights at a favorite French Quarter restaurant in New Orleans.
- Stop to taste a true New Orleans favorite — beignets at Café Du Monde.
- Indulge in a king cake tasting at Mardi Gras World.
- Embark on a one-of-a-kind tour of Memphis where local musicians share the story of the city’s musical heritage and history.
- Enjoy reserved seats at the Grand Ole Opry, the “home of American music.”
- Tour the historic RCA Studio B for an up-close look at Nashville’s oldest remaining recording studio.
- Visit Graceland, the palatial home of Elvis Presley.
- Explore the Country Music Hall of Fame, the largest museum of popular music in the world.
- Visit the historic Ryman Auditorium.
- Explore the multiple sides of LA and the people that live in this diverse megacity – Hollywood wannabes to Beverly Hills ballers, and all crazy characters in between.
- Hike through beautiful Joshua Tree National Park among desert cactus gardens and unusual rock formations, before hitting the road on Route 66.
- The Grand Canyon National Park takes time to really discover – you'll spend two nights in the park, unlike on most trips, so there's a full day to explore properly and see the mighty canyon up close.
- Fly like an eagle and treat yourself to a scenic helicopter flight over the winding gorges of the Grand Canyon – an experience you’ll never forget.
- Lose yourself among the bright desert lights of Las Vegas and the Strip, and remember, what happens in Vegas...
- From flashy Las Vegas to the arid desert of Zion National Park and the hoodoos of Bryce Canyon, you will discover a range of American landscapes at your own pace.
- Admire the oasis of Emerald Pools during a hike past waterfalls and lush vegetation in Utah’s Zion National Park.
- Ride a jeep through Utah's iconic Monument Valley, and then share stories and a meal by the campfire with members of Navajo Nation.
- Be left gobsmacked by the steep red-rock escarpments and gorges of the Grand Canyon, experiencing a bird’s eye view of the park with an optional unforgettable helicopter adventure.
- Explore a city that’s home to dreamers, fortune seekers, and celebrities in the City of Angels: Los Angeles.
- Drive across frozen plains and past massive peaks, walk across remote tundras to glacial rivers and canoe in the spectacular waters of Prince William Sound.
- Go deep into the wild and experience unforgettable scenery on a camping adventure, staying closer than ever before to the mountains and glaciers.
- Denali National Park is home to an abundance of native wildlife. Visit the park for a unique safari experience to see moose, caribou, grizzly bears, Dall sheep and wolves in their natural habitat.
- Get close to sea otters, puffins and humpback whales on an optional kayaking trip in Valdez. You might even see bald eagles in the sky above!
- See North America's biggest collection of glaciers and some of its tallest and most impressive mountains on your tour of the Wrangell-St Elias National Park.
- Enjoy a hearty home-cooked meal with an Amish family in Ohio, a unique opportunity to get to know people from a misunderstood and mythologised culture.
- Scratch a big one off the bucket list with a day trip to Niagara Falls.
- Both the USA and Canada can be overwhelming for travellers, so this trip balances scheduled sightseeing with plenty of free time for you to relax or explore at your own pace.
- Explore the quaint and quintessentially New England town of Stowe, a tiny town surrounded by thick forest that changes colour with the seasons.
- Wander the narrow cobblestone streets of Old Montreal on a walking tour that will transport you back in time.
- Learn about indigenous culture and history in Monument Valley during a tour led by a Navajo guide and spend the night in a traditional hogan hut.
- Hike past sculpted sandstone formations, waterfalls and hanging gardens in Zion National Park, roasting s’mores around a campfire by night.
- See the exquisite sandstone arches of the aptly named Arches National Park and witness spectacular desert colours during a sunset hike.
- Get closer to nature in cabins and campsites, the perfect way to take advantage of Utah’s dark skies for some premier stargazing.
- A local leader who is passionate about Utah’s parks, a small group of like-minded explorers and the grand wilderness of the west – a recipe for pure adventure.
- Spending three nights in Yosemite National Park means two full days of exploration. With so many options on what to do, you’ll be spoilt for choice.
- Discover another side to Yosemite’s towering granite cliffs, redwood forests and epic night skies by hiking one of its lesser-known trails – Hetch Hetchy – with your local leader.
- Soak up the scenery on a relaxing visit to a natural hot spring near the township of Bishop. It’s the perfect way to relax and get to know your travel pals.
- With a knowledgeable leader and driver getting you from place to place, all you’ve got to worry about is snapping the best photo and getting the most out of your Californian road trip.
- Where better to end your adventure than in San Francisco, the eclectic, multicultural 'City by the Bay'. With the option to extend your visit a couple of days, you won’t be wanting to go home just yet.
- Experience the natural rolling hills and stunning beauty of the Appalachian Mountains during a night camping in Shenandoah National Park.
- Enjoy a full day to explore the USA capital, Washington DC, at your leisure. See the White House, Capitol Hill and the National Mall, and feel small next to the statue of Abraham Lincoln.
- Deep fried and deeply delicious – experience the big bold food of the USA. Munch on a po’boy sandwich in New Orleans and eat crispy fried chicken in Memphis.
- Finish up your trip with a night in New Orleans, where you can dance the night away with new friends on Bourbon Street.
- In each destination your leader will show you around and give you insider tips – but they won’t keep you on a strict sightseeing schedule. This is the land of the free, after all!
- Experience the rugged scenery of Alaska by land from the most populous city of Anchorage, through quaint towns like Palmer, all the way to the untouched back country.
- Head on an Alaskan safari for a unique chance to see moose, caribou, grizzly bears, Dall sheep and wolves in their natural habitat in Denali National Park.
- Witness the land mammals of Denali before getting up close to sea otters, puffins and humpback whales on a boat trip among glaciers in Valdez.
- Discover Seward, one of Alaska's oldest and most scenic communities, which offers a bustling harbour, quaint shops and galleries, and is a great base from which to explore Kenai Fjords National Park.
- Sit back and take in stunning views along the dramatic coastlines of the Turnagain Arm from Seward to Anchorage, while someone else does the driving.
- Drive across frozen plains and past massive peaks, walk across remote tundras to glacial rivers and kayak in the spectacular waters of Prince William Sound.
- Look out for diverse wildlife like moose, grizzly bears, and wolves in Denali National Park, then get close to sea otters, puffins and humpback whales on an optional kayak trip among glaciers in Valdez.
- See North America's biggest collection of glaciers and some of its tallest, most impressive mountains in Wrangell-St Elias National Park – the world's largest internationally protected area.
- See both sides of the Kenai Peninsula – Homer, with remote beaches and the stunning Kachemak Bay State Park, and Seward, with accessible glaciers and marine life.
- Spend two nights at a remote hostel that can only be accessed by kayak or water taxi.
- Get a taste for Nashville’s cuisine highlighting Southern cooking inspired by decades of international influence.
- Enjoy a hearty meal of comfort food at the iconic Wildhorse Saloon.
- Take your reserved seat at a performance at the Grand Ole Opry.
- Step to the beat at a line-dancing lesson at Wildhorse Saloon.
- Make the most of your included ticket for the city's Hop on - Hop off Trolley.
- Wander Franklin, a vibrant town with an award-winning main street.
- Delve into the heart of country music at the historic Ryman Auditorium.
- Peruse iconic costumes and instruments at the Country Music Hall of Fame.
- Venture into RCA Studio B – the recording studio of Elvis Presley and Dolly Parton – with an expert insider.
- Uncover the history of Carnton, a historic plantation home and makeshift hospital during the Civil War.
- Experience international cuisine in local restaurants throughout the city.
- Dine by candlelight at historic Gadsby’s Tavern in Old Town Alexandria.
- Peek into the life of America’s first president at Mount Vernon.
- Behold the impressive Washington National Cathedral.
- Stop at Ford’s Theatre where President Lincoln was assassinated.
- Spend 5 memorable nights in the heart of Washington, D.C.
- Tour the iconic and storied U.S. Capitol building.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top United States Experiences
Taking a history tour in Boston, along the Freedom Trail and visiting pre-revolutionary sights.
Exploring the busy, vibrant streets of New York City
Taking a small ship cruise in Alaska and admiring the beauty and abundant wildlife of America's "Last Frontier"
Seeing the lush greenery of the Hawaiian Islands
Walking the boardwalks in Yellowstone National Park to view the geysers and boiling, hissing mudpots.
Wine tasting in California and learning about how the wine industry began here
Driving the Avenue of the Giants in northern California, in awe of the ancient redwoods, the tallest trees on earth.
Standing on the rim of the Grand Canyon and peering into the depths of one of nature’s great wonders.
Hiking to a waterfall in California’s Yosemite National Park, where it's easy to find stunning hikes no matter your physical level.
Rafting the Salmon River in Idaho for whitewater thrills.
Cruising down the Mississippi in an old-fashioned paddle wheeler
Sailing through the Columbia River Gorge
United States Trip Reviews
2,568 United States Tour Reviews - Summary 93% Recommend
All United States tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.6 for all United States trips.