Cruising the Land of the Rising Sun - Southbound 2025
- Discover the people and places of the 'land of the rising sun'... a showcase of timeless traditions
- revered settings and modern-day memories taking you beyond the Japan you think you know and introducing you to the rich culture this island nation has to offer. Your explorations begin during your stay in Osaka and include nearby Nara and Kyoto – city of two thousand temples and shrines – and end in Tokyo; on your cruise
- sightseeing excursions include Uno Ko
- Nagasaki… Uncover layers of Japanese culture – past and present; explore historic sights and trend-setting neighborhoods... attend a taiko drumming performance
- a geisha performance
- a sumo wrestling demonstration... and more. You'll explore the volcano Sakurajima
- visit a pearl farm
- tour modern and historic museums
What's this trip about?
- You have a choice of hotel accommodation for nights 1, 2 & 3 and 12 & 13 –The St. Regis Osakanights 1, 2 & 3 andTheShangri-La Hotel, Tokyo nights 12 & 13orThe Ritz-Carlton, Osaka nights 1, 2 & 3andThe Palace Hotel, Tokyo nights 12 & 13orThe Conrad Osaka nights 1, 2 & 3 andThe Mandarin Oriental, Tokyo nights 12 & 13 Special Tauck Experiences featuring local cultural entertainment include a sumo wrestling demonstration, geisha and taiko performances and more Private Tauck Shore Excursions – $5,385 Value All gratuities to Tauck Director, ship staff, local guides and drivers 8-night cruise aboard a Ponant ship 3 nights in Osaka and 2 nights in Tokyo at premier hotels Your cruise may be a shared ship experience with non-Tauck guests onboard as well; all Tauck guests will be accompanied by one Tauck Director for approximately every 40 Tauck guests, and your itinerary will always be highlighted by exclusive, private Tauck shore excursions
Travel today from your hotel in Osaka to nearby Kyoto, and immerse yourself in the loveliness of this classic city of 2,000 temples and shrines. Like a divine dream the Kinkaku-ji "Temple of the Golden Pavilion" bathed in gold leaf ...
Head to the city of Nara this morning to visit Todai-ji (Great Eastern Temple), a Buddhist temple complex that was once one of the city's powerful Seven Great Temples. Its Great Buddha Hall houses the world's largest bronze statue o...
Begin the day with a sightseeing tour of Osaka and other areas of this famed Japanese city by a combination of motor coach and walking. After lunch at a local restaurant in Osaka, take a scenic drive to the port of pretty Maizuru, t...
Arrive this morning in Sakaiminato, Western Japan's fishing industry center, for a visit to the Adachi Museum. Following lunch, you can take an excursion to Matsue, known as "the water city" for its river, canals, and setting on two...
Your crossing of the Strait of Korea to Busan, South Korea, today is a perfect time to enjoy some of the amenities aboard ship. After docking in Busan, city sightseeing includes the United Nations Memorial Cemetery, honoring troops ...
Arrive in Kyushu's port city of Nagasaki for a day filled with historic sights. In the morning, visit the Nagasaki Peace Park, graced with notable monuments and memorials, and the Atomic Bomb Museum, recounting the devastating event...
Kagoshima lies on the southwestern tip of Japan's southernmost main island, Kyushu. This morning, take a short ferry ride across the bay to see Sakurajima ("Cherry Blossom Island"), an active volcano where you will take a guided sce...
Today provides a rare chance to spend a morning in a rural area around the port city of Uwajima on Shikoku, with a choice of three excursions. One takes you into the countryside to visit a pearl farm – where you'll view a hatchery a...
In your next port of call, Hiroshima, you'll set off on a morning sightseeing tour and visit the Hiroshima Peace Memorial and sites associated with the WWII atomic bomb blast of August 1945. After lunch at a local restaurant serving...
Anchor in Tamano (Uno Ko) and travel to the old merchant town of Kurashiki for a walking tour of its historic quarter, where warehouses, shops, and mills remain virtually unchanged by time. Another Kurashiki treasure, the Ohara Muse...
Disembark in Osaka, and take a ride on the Shinkansen bullet train to Tokyo, where you'll arrive in time for lunch at a local restaurant. After checking in at your premier Tokyo hotel, join your local guide for a walking tour introd...
Plunge into an eclectic day in cosmopolitan Tokyo with a visit to the Meiji Shrine, plus a guided tour of the Japan National Museum. Lunch is at a local restaurant before an afternoon of poking around on your own. Finish the day in ...
MEALS : B
PORTOFCALL : Tokyo, Japan
Your trip, your way, planned by an expert:
- You choose budget, destinations, activities, transport & lodging type
- Expert designs the itinerary for you, and once approved, takes care of logistics
Check Current Availability, prices, specials with Tauck.
The total tour cost includes the tour price (regular or promotional) and the compulsory local payment. The promotional price is subject to change. Check directly with the operator for the latest price offer. The tour operator requires you to pay only the tour price to purchase your travel. The compulsory local payment will be paid when you join the trip. All prices are based on double, twin or triple share occupancy. Solo passengers will be accommodated in a double, twin or triple room according to availability with a passenger(s) of the same gender. Single supplement only needs to be paid if the passenger does not want to share and requests their own room. Discounts can only be applied at the time of booking and cannot be added at a later date, regardless of any changes made to the original booking.
Prices may vary due to local taxes and trip seasonality. Click "Request Info" to inquire directly with the tour operator for the final trip price.
Nine Tours and Done
Sad to see a once good tour company stumble and fall into mediocrity. That’s Tauck post-Covid. My May 2023 tour of Normandy, Brittany and the Loire Valley was done o...
Skip this cruise - not worth it
My husband and I went on the Treasures of the Mediterranean Isles Trip jn October 2022. This was our third Tauck cruise with Ponnant but our first post covid and the...
It's easy to see the world's sights. To stand in long lines, push through the crowds, and generally have the same standard-issue vacation as everyone else. But that's not good enough for us, and it's not good enough for you. We believe that travel should be easy. It should be fun. It should be worth your time and the price you paid. It should re-energize and transform. And above all else, it should be beyond the ordinary. Because how you see the world matters.
In 1882, Herman Tauck arrived in New York City from Germany in search of the American dream. His determination and values were passed on to his son, Arthur Tauck, who would realize that dream. With ingenuity and an innovative spirit, Arthur started Tauck Motor Tours, a travel company that would give birth to a new industry. The first tour, through the back roads of New England, was created by this 27-year-old in 1925. It embodied the same successful formula used by Tauck today: do the right thing. Craft a life-enriching travel experience; provide it at a single all-inclusive price; ensure there is great value for money; and rely on recommendations of satisfied customers to build a following and grow the business.
Two elements that did change over the next 90+ years – and three generations of Taucks – were the scope of destinations served and the variety of modes of travel used. Today Tauck delivers life-enriching travel experiences to every corner of the globe, incorporating small cruise ships, premium riverboats, trains, helicopters and more. What started as a New England motor coach tour company has truly evolved into an extraordinary global travel company. The fourth generation of Taucks is now involved in the company. While remarkable in any business, this seamless continuity across generations speaks to shared vision and values.
Throughout its history, the concept of “family” at Tauck has gone far beyond those sharing the surname to include hundreds of valued employees, and hundreds of thousands of loyal guests. The story of Tauck is the story of a unique American family company celebrating a passion for travel – a story that will continue to inspire generations to come.
Find your perfect trip
- Save up to $700 per person
- Access members-only specials
- Personalize trip recommendations