Africa Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Retreats Similar to a self guided tour but staying in one location only with activities and day outings included as a part of the stay.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
- Cape Town Kids City Tour
- Cape Peninsula Tour with picnic lunch
- Cape Winelands for Kids Tour (Full-Day)
- Take a stroll through the colorful streets of Bo-Kaap in Cape Town. Experience this former township, which is just as vibrant in history as it is in color!
- Browse local craft markets, check out Green Market Square in Cape Town and explore Woodmill Market in Stellenbosch.
- Say hello to the Western Cape's cutest residents - African Penguins! Head to Boulder's Beach and watch the little guys bask in the sun and swim in the turquoise water.
- Keep an eye out for Southern Right Whales in Hermanus, also known as South Africa's whale watching capital.
- See the Big 5 up-close! Enjoy a luxurious stay in the brush and experience daily safari drives.
- Visit Arusha
- Enjoy panoramic views of baobab and acacia trees
- Tarangire on a final morning game drive
- Visit Lake Manyara National Park
- Enjoy a Flamenco show in enchanting Seville.
- Embark on a walking tour of Córdoba’s religious marvel, the Mezquita.
- Stroll through the cobbled alleyways of the ancient Medina of Fes.
- Visit the final resting place of the Catholic Monarchs at the Royal Chapel of Granada.
- Explore Marrakech’s ancient El Bahia Palace.
- Visit Chefchaouen, the “Blue City” of Morocco.
- Wander the largest medina in North Africa in Tunis, navigating the twisting alleyways to discover tiny stores overflowing with goods, ancient mosques and bustling squares.
- Explore the incredible remains of Dougga, a Roman city (built on a Namibian city) with dozens of standing columns, an impressive amphitheatre and a mausoleum built 2200 years ago.
- Go underground into the subterranean homes of Matmata, where a central sunken courtyard leads to cave-like rooms carved from sandstone.
- Trek through the Sahara Desert with Berber guides, then settle in at a desert camp to watch the sunset over the epic sea of dunes.
- Vast salt lakes, the palm-fringed respite of desert oases, rocky coastlines lapped by azure water – Tunisia has a wealth of incredible landscapes.
- Explore Jaffa, an ancient port city and the oldest part of Tel Aviv
- Explore Cana, where the miracle of Jesus turning water into wine took place and visit the Wedding Church
- Get an opportunity to see the famous Bahai Gardens by passing by Mt. Carmel
- Visit Nazareth and the Church of Annunciation
- Experience Boat Ride on the Galilee Sea
- See the Mt. Beatitudes, where Jesus gave the “Sermon on the Mount”
- Visit along the Jordan River to Yardenit Baptismal Site
- And many more exciting places like, Bethlehem, Via Dolorosa, Church of the Holy Sepulchre, The Western Wall, Underground Jerusalem, Jeep Tour, Petra with Horseback Ride, Pyramids of Giza, Cairo City, Luxor, Aswan, Nile Cruise
- Kasbah de Taourirt
- Guided Tour of Marrakesh
- Game drive in the conservancy before driving to the Lake Nakuru area
- Enjoy Kenya’s most famous game area
- Visit Maasai Mara
- Cairo Sightseeing Tour, including the Great Pyramids, Sphinx, Egyptian Museum & Khan El-Khalili Bazaar (full-day, with lunch)
- Guided tour of Karnak Temple and Temple of Luxor (half-day)
- Guided tour of the West Bank, including Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut Temple, Colossi of Memnon
- Guided tour of The Temple of Horus (Edfu) and Kom Ombo Temple (Sobek)
- Did you know that rhinos come out to play when the sun goes down? Let us prove it to you during a sunset 4WD through the Khama Rhino Sanctuary.
- Try and tell the difference between your buddy’s snores and the sound of wild hippos while camping in the heart of the Okavango wilderness.
- There's nothing more relaxing than feeling the African sun on your face as you lie back in a mokoro, eyes closed while your expert poler propels you through the Okavango Delta.
- Elephants never forget, and you won’t forget them either. Cruise down the river in Chobe National Park, home of the world's highest concentration of African elephants.
- Learn what life is like for the Hambukushu people, traditionally considered masters of fishing, boat building, and making it rain.
- With permits included in the price of the trip, take a trek through Uganda's steamy forests to seek out rare mountain gorillas and spend an unforgettable hour in their presence.
- Head out on an early evening game drive in Lake Nakuru National Park, which is particularly famous for its rhino population.
- Spend a few days at your own pace in Jinja, which can be either a relaxing riverside retreat or an adrenaline-pumping adventure capital depending on what you feel like.
- Build the adventure that’s perfect for you with a mixture of included activities and optional ones – like a chimpanzee trek in Kalinzu Forest.
- Meet the Maasai people known for their vibrant red dress and elaborate jewellery and gain an insight into the culture and ancient ways of this proud East African community.
- Whether it’s searching for gentle giants on a game drive through Addo Elephant National Park or hiking past antelope in Bontebok National Park, there’s no shortage of wildlife spotting on this adventure.
- Embark on a half-day guided walk in the mighty Drakensburg Range – one of many spectacular hikes along the Garden Route that you can choose to discover in your free time.
- Rise early with your small group to watch wild meerkats wake and warm in the morning sun, before continuing south to Swellendam – South Africa’s third-oldest town.
- Cruise the classic R320 route – stopping by a couple of wineries for local tastings – en route to South Africa's southernmost point at Cape Agulhus.
- As you tour the Wild Coast, stop by South Africa’s Xhosa community for an afternoon spent with a local guide, learning about enduring customs and cultures in this tribal group.
- Go on an epic safari with expert local guides in search of lions, hyenas and more through Kruger National Park – one of the largest game reserves in southern Africa.
- Go overland in a purpose built truck and stop to take in geological wonders like Bourke’s Luck Potholes and God’s Window along the Panorama Route.
- Spend a few days however you please on the white-sand beaches of Mozambique’s Ponta Malongane. Snorkel? Sun? Seafood feast? The choice is yours.
- Visit the heartlands of the Zulu people and spend the night in a homestay, where you’ll be treated to traditional food and song, plus a meeting with the local healer.
- Swap four wheels for two legs on a guided hike through the Hlane Royal National Park, keeping an eye out for antelopes and zebras passing by.
- Travel for good with a visit to Victoria Falls Wildlife Trust, a centre dedicated to the rehabilitation and rescue of wild animals like elephants, cheetahs and vultures.
- Discover the 11th-century ruins of Great Zimbabwe during a guided tour of the World Heritage site, which was once the heart of a thriving empire.
- Spend the day with Swahili women in Kisongo, learning to make a local dish, trying your hand at traditional crafts and learning about village life in Tanazania.
- Chill out on the northern beaches of Zanzibar, lounging on white sand and cooling off in crystal waters of the Indian Ocean.
- Take safaris across the floor of the Ngorongoro Crater, through South Luangwa National Park and over the plains of the Serengeti in search of the Big Five.
- Unlike other larger cruise liners, your small ship – the M/Y Pegasus – has the option to drop anchor beside tiny islands and swim in bays that others cannot reach.
- Stop at the stunning Anse Source D’Argent on La Dique with your small group. It’s consistently rated as one of the best beaches in the world, and you’ll soon know why.
- Accompanied by a fully qualified onboard naturalist, you will be led on insightful shore excursions through mangrove forests and World Heritage-listed reserves.
- Drop anchor in the centre of port towns such as Mahe and La Digue, having the opportunity to explore independently and hop on and off the boat as you please.
- With your vessel fully equipped with kayaks and snorkelling equipment, you will be able to take advantage of the crystal-clear waters and discover its colourful ecosystem underwater.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Africa Experiences
Being astonished by the sheer force and majesty of teeming Victoria Falls, the largest sheet of cascading water on earth.
Going inside a pyramid in Egypt and seeing where mummies were discovered.
Visiting Africa in the dry season (between July and October) and witnessing the Great Migration when hundreds of wildebeest thunder across the Serengeti.
Taking in the views from Cape Town’s Table Mountain.
Exploring the sand dunes in Namibia, some of the tallest in the world.
Tasting the vintages in South Africa’s burgeoning wine country.
Hiking in Tsitsikamma National Park on South Africa’s Garden Route.
Hot-air ballooning over Serengeti National Park.
Trekking Tanzania’s famed Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest point in Africa, where you’ll find snow near the Equator.
Glimpsing all of the Big Five in one day at wildlife-rich Kruger National Park.
Enjoying Madagascar’s abundant wildlife, especially playful wide-eyed lemurs as they hop among the branches
Experiencing the hottest region on earth, the Danakil Depression in Ethiopia.
Riding on camelback through the Sahara Desert.
Wandering the exotic souks in ancient Fes, Morocco, the closest thing imaginable to time-traveling back to the Middle Ages.
Gazing at Giza’s mysterious pyramids in Egypt—thousands of years old and still one of the world’s engineering marvels.
Going on a gorilla trek in Uganda or Rwanda and being humbled by these gentle giants.
Africa Trip Reviews
22,069 Africa Tour Reviews - Summary 94% Recommend
All Africa tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.6 for all Africa trips.