South Greenland Adventure: The Majestic Alpine Arctic
- Meet locals in remote towns and see what it’s like to live in traditional Inuit settlements along the shores of Greenland.
- Explore Igaliku – part of the newly established UNESCO World Heritage Site of Kujataa. Home to only 25 inhabitants, this is Greenland’s oldest sheep-farming settlement.
- Cruise past epic Arctic scenery out in the wilderness, where few dare to venture. Aboard your Ultramarine ship and on daily Zodiac excursions, you’ll see huge icebergs, soaring glaciers, gorgeous fjords and a vast seascape.
- Do your best to spot fascinating marine mammals like polar bears and humpback whales as you explore the depths of the fjord systems that are home to an abundance of wildlife.
- Enjoy a Greenland Ice Sheet Experience and become one of the few people to set foot on this incredible body of ice as you explore the Ice Sheet, hike the foothills and cruise or paddle the surrounding waters.
What's this trip about?
Welcome to Canada! Your Arctic adventure begins in Toronto, where you may arrive at any time. You’ll have the day to explore this vibrant city – and there’s plenty on offer. You might sample the delicacies of the world-class dining scene, visit one of the many engaging museums or pop into your choice of boutique.
This morning, meet up with the rest of your group, transfer to the airport and board a charter flight to Nuuk – the capital of Greenland. This picturesque city of 17,000 is situated on a fjord with the Sermitsiaq mountain in the background. Hop aboard the Ultramarine – your ride through the Arctic. You’ll meet your leader and expedition team and go through some of what’s to be expected/
Head south along the spectacular west coast of Greenland on your way to the The Westlands. Following in the footsteps of the Greenlandic Norse into the Western fjords, it’s easy to appreciate why Erik the Red chose this land as his home and gave Greenland its name – e...
Continue your voyage to the stunning maze of fjords, sounds, islets, inlets and skerries (rocky islands) in and around Cape Farewell (Nunap Isua), Greenland’s most southern tip, before reaching the 100-km-long Prins Christian Sund (Ikerasassuaq). Stunning views will b...
Set out for the wild fjords of the uninhabited east coast. Marine mammals frequent these fjords – Humpback whales are often sighted entering as the shallowing seas bring an upwelling of nutrients to the surface. Sightings of polar bears are possible too, but rare. Along with spotting wildlife, there’ll be the chance to explore the magnificent alpine terrain by land, sea and air.
Today, you’ll say goodbye to your expedition crew and your ship and take one more Zodiac ride to shore in Nuuk. Then, have time to wander the streets of historic Old Nuuk, visit the Greenland National Museum & Archives or even see famous 500-year-old Greenlandic m...
With no further activities planned, your trip comes to an end today. You can make your way home or spend some time exploring this artistic city – if you need extra accommodation to extend your stay in Toronto, just speak to your booking agent ahead of time.
Your trip, your way, planned by an expert:
- You choose budget, destinations, activities, transport & lodging type
- Expert designs the itinerary for you, and once approved, takes care of logistics
Check Current Availability, prices, specials with Intrepid Travel.
The total tour cost includes the tour price (regular or promotional) and the compulsory local payment. The promotional price is subject to change. Check directly with the operator for the latest price offer. The tour operator requires you to pay only the tour price to purchase your travel. The compulsory local payment will be paid when you join the trip. All prices are based on double, twin or triple share occupancy. Solo passengers will be accommodated in a double, twin or triple room according to availability with a passenger(s) of the same gender. Single supplement only needs to be paid if the passenger does not want to share and requests their own room. Discounts can only be applied at the time of booking and cannot be added at a later date, regardless of any changes made to the original booking.
Prices may vary due to local taxes and trip seasonality. Click "Request Info" to inquire directly with the tour operator for the final trip price.
We joined the Intrepid “Real Italy Food…
We joined the Intrepid “Real Italy Food Tour” and enjoyed it thoroughly. Our tour guide, Micol, was very knowledgeable and provided us with lots of good information....
Central Asia Explorer
This was my third trip with Intrepid, and I'll continue to plan future trips with them. I choose Intrepid to travel to parts of the world where I don't feel comforta...
The Intrepid Travel Experience
If you’re looking for adventure, you’ve come to the right place. For the past 25 years, we’ve been taking small groups of travelers on unforgettable trips around the world. What makes them unforgettable? Take a look for yourself and discover the Intrepid experience.
Our travelers have three styles of tour to choose from: Basix, Original and Comfort. Each has a different level of inclusions and accommodation, but all have unforgettable real life experiences as part of the package. Travellers can also choose themed trips, such as Family, Sailing or Food, to suit their interests.
Our group size has an average of just ten travellers, which allows us to get off the beaten track, use local accommodation and transport, and really get to know the culture. It also ensures we are contributing to the local economy; by choosing local suppliers we were able to keep AUD 60 million in local economies in 2012. We’re also working hard to reduce our carbon footprint and were the first in our sector to introduce carbon offset trips. This, along with our many corporate sustainability activities, has meant we’re one of the travel industry’s leaders in responsible travel.
- Small groups - average of 10 people per trip
- Sustainability - pioneers for the industry
- Local leaders - authentic perspectives
- Local transport - get close and personal
- Local accommodation - experience real living
- Intrepid travelers - like-minded companions
Intrepid Travel has come a long way since its beginnings in 1989. From two university friends, a typewriter and a kitchen desk, it is now a proud member of The Intrepid Group, taking over 100,000 travelers every year.
Intrepid Travel is part of The Intrepid Group of companies, alongside leading small group adventure companies Peregrine, Urban Adventures and PEAK DMC.
Despite growing into a global business with over 1,000 staff based all over the world and over 800 different trips across every continent, we’ve remained devoted to the same grassroots values and responsible travel philosophies that we had at the very beginning.
On every trip we operate and in every interaction we have with a client, supplier or local, we live our core values everyday:
- Integrity – Doing the right thing
- Responsible – Think global, act local
- Growth – Stakeholders in our own success
- Innovation – Thriving on new ideas and embracing change
- Fun – It’s engrained into who we are and what we do
- Passion – We are inspired by the work we do and the trips we offer
Find your perfect trip
Transportation & Flights
Transportation & flights
- Save up to $700 per person
- Access members-only specials
- Personalize trip recommendations