Cultural Tours & Trips 2020
Filter to find perfect
Relaxed A lot of free time, with very few inclusions. Ideal for independent and/or low-key travelers and cruisers.
Full on For those looking to maximize their sight seeing time. You thrive on a packed day’s schedule from 8 am to 6pm, with some (but limited) free time. Most activities and meals included.
Mixed You will have solid amounts of both free time and structured time with some activities and meals included.
Group Tour Groups are between 25-60 people, typically ~30-40. Usually there will be many opportunities to split off and enjoy meals and excursions in smaller groups. This is the most economical way to travel, saving up to 40% versus booking the same itinerary yourself.
Small Group Tour Small groups are usually defined as between 10 and 24 travelers, often less. If you're the kind of person who enjoys more intimate experiences and personal service this is a good choice. All else being equal you will pay a premium for this style vs a larger group tour.
River Cruise These vessels are smaller than most ocean cruisers, limiting which amenties are available. Passenger counts can vary. One of the biggest advantages of a river cruise is the ability to dock at smaller ports and local villages.
Small Ship Cruise Small ship cruises usually have a max passenger count of 500. The primary purpose of these trips is to spend time off the vessel in local ports (e.g. Mediterranean) or experiencing nature (e.g Galapagos or Antarctica). Cabins can vary from budget to luxury.
Private Guided Private tours give you the undivided attention of a guide, and often involve special access to sites and unique experiences not available to larger groups. This is a great option for families, couples, and small friend groups. Expect to pay a bit more for the extra service.
Self Guided / Independent Tour A travel company plans your itinerary and arranges all the logistics including lodging, local activities, and transportantion. You have the flexibility of a solo trip while still getting the convience and time savings of expert planning. Get 90% of the benefits of a tour, without a guide.
Vacation / Holiday Package Similar to a self guided tour, this usually involves a home base, such as a hotel or resort, with packaged activities and day tours as a part of the stay.
Large Ship Cruise This is the "floating city" experience, with multiple ways to enjoy your vacation aboard the ship as much as on land. Ships are multiple floors, provide several activities, culinary, and shopping options. They often make fewer stops and have less time available for shore excursions.
Camping Typically involves most nights sleeping in tents (sometimes permanent tented sites) or in rustic cabins and lodges.
Basic - 2 star You'll stay in no-frills, but clean and comfortable, hotels or guesthouses. A 'Basic' trip might also involve a few nights of camping.
Value - 3 star Mid-range budget with accommodations ranging from comfortable lodges, guesthouses, and homestays to three star hotels.
Premium - 4 star 3 to 4 star western hotel equivalents. While not all lodging will be 'luxury' they will be quite comfortable by western standards.
Luxury - 5 star The highest level of comfort and service. All accomodations are in four or five star hotels, boutique lodges or high-end homestays.
Very Easy Minimal walking - motor vehicles available for all major parts of trip.
Easy Normal generally flat walking in urban or suburban environments.
Moderate Walking or physical activity half to most of day - no carrying equipment.
Strenuous All or most of day hiking or biking, hills included.
Extreme Very challenging all day hiking and backpacking carrying significant equipment.
Rivers & Seas Visitied
Attractions & Cities Visited
Activities & Interests
Good for Singles Trips that specifically cater to travelers looking to meet other singles.
No Single Supplement Trips where single supplement is usually not required for solo travelers.
Flight & Transport Inclusions
Stride Gives Back Stride Gives Back This trip visits a destination impacted by climate change. When you opt in to the Travelstride Gives Back program, we will donate 10% of our net revenue to organizations that help mitigate climate change in these destinations and across the globe. Learn more
Impacted by Climate Change
- San Cristobal Hill (Santiago)
- Picturesque Bariloche
- Buenos Aires City Tour
- Tango Show (Buenos Aires)
- Iguassu Falls
- Sugar Loaf Mountain (Rio)
- Copacabana (Rio)
- Opt to trek the 1-Day Inca Trail, an excellent option for those wanting to experience trekking in Peru, but don’t want to do the full four days
- The giant desert inscriptions of the Nazca Lines are one of Peru's great unsolved mysteries. Scrutinise them up close on a viewing platform or from a bird's-eye-view on an optional flight
- Cusco is a great city to explore on foot. Enter a bygone era as you explore the ancient Incan ruins dotted all over the city
- A trip through Peru wouldn't be complete without a visit to the Sacred Valley and Machu Picchu. Enjoy a guided tour around the ruins as well as plenty of free time to discover it on your own
- Spend a full day exploring the floating islands of Lake Titicaca and Taquile Island, with the chance to meet the local Uru people
- Visit the seventh-century Asakusa Kannon Temple
- The trip to Hakone, located about 50 miles west of Tokyo.
- Hakone is beloved by the Japanese for its hot-spring resorts, mountains, lakes, and historical sites
- Visit Hamamatsuya, a workshop specializing in wooden handcrafts.
- Visit one of the many houses of Kanazawa where the samurai—Japan's famed class of noble warriors—once lived
- Visit the history and culture of Gokayama
- Enjoy a traditional dance performance
- On board lectures by our Expedition team on destinations and wildlife along the route
- Excursions to cities, cultural and historical places
- Prolong you stay in Casablanca after disembarkation
- Enjoy a cooking demonstration and dinner of regional specialties in Savannah.
- Savor a festive holiday dinner at the Jekyll Island Club.
- Explore the 19th-century Andrew Low House and Gardens.
- Drive through enchanting James Island County Park, decorated with over 500,000 lights.
- Get to know Charleston's cobblestoned streets, historic homes and restored buildings.
- Enjoy a holiday-themed trolley tour of Savannah's sprawling Historic District.
- Experience a guided tour of the Jekyll Island Club, beautifully decorated for the season.
- Enjoy a lovely cruise along the Danube River.
- Make a stop at the impressive Benedictine Melk Abbey.
- Come to know Vienna and its incredible Schoenbrunn Palace.
- Experience the powerful Oberammergau Passion Play, a once-in-a-lifetime event.
- Discover the fascinating city of Munich and its world-famous Glockenspiel.
- Explore the many splendors of Salzburg during a leisurely paced walking tour.
- Experience local cuisine and wine and immerse yourself in the moving sounds of Fado.
- Indulge in a tasting of the Alentejo region's wines during a winery tour.
- Spend the night in the heart of the Alentejo region among vineyards and farmland.
- Stop in historic Evora, known as the "Museum City of Portugal."
- Venture to Lagos, where Prince Henry the Navigator began his explorations.
- Spend three nights on the sunny coast of the Algarve.
- Stay three nights at a coastal resort on the Portuguese Riviera.
- Tour Lisbon, Portugal's capital that overlooks the Tagus River.
- Join locals for lunch at a nearby Shebeen, or house tavern.
- Experience an unforgettable African “Boma” dinner.
- Enjoy lunch amongst the ancient milkwood trees in Knysna.
- Visit one of the oldest working ostrich farms in Oudtshoorn – the ostrich capital of South Africa – and learn about these fascinating animals.
- Experience a thrilling cable car ride rising more than 3,000 feet.
- Learn the local beat with a lesson on the djembe drums.
- Search for the “Big 5” on an open-air safari game drive!
- Marvel at the breathtaking Drakensberg Mountains.
- Behold the luxurious mansions of Soweto — South West Township.
- Enjoy a welcome reception in the crypt of Christ Church Cathedral.
- Put a modern twist on Irish cuisine during a cooking class at a premier culinary institution in Dublin.
- Enjoy Diner’s Choice in Ireland’s gourmet capital of Kinsale.
- Explore the Old Midleton Distillery, home of Jameson Irish Whiskey.
- Overnight on the enchanting Aran Islands and jump head-first into Irish culture.
- Enjoy an after-hours private tour of Christ Church Cathedral.
- Spend a day exploring the Dingle Peninsula.
- Cruise beneath the iconic Cliffs of Moher.
- Watch the sunrise over Inisheer’s maze of stone walls.
- Enjoy 3 nights in the imperial city of Innsbruck and the musical city of Salzburg.
- Visit Linderhof Palace, one of the most artistic and stylistically complex ensembles of the 19th century.
- Explore historic Salzburg, birthplace of Wolfgang Mozart, and location of the beloved film The Sound of Music.
- Experience the powerful Oberammergau Passion Play, a once-in-a-lifetime event.
- Travel to Bavaria and view Neuschwanstein Castle, the inspiration for the castle in Sleeping Beauty.
- Visit Marienplatz, Munich’s historic town square and home to the world-famous Glockenspiel.
- Sample famous Vietnamese dishes on a walking food tour.
- Savor some of Hanoi’s finest food during dinner inside a restored French Colonial-style mansion.
- Take part in a private blessing ceremony and meet the monks of a local monastery.
- Journey to the famous Pak Ou Caves, the home of hundreds of Buddhas.
- See the Cu Chi Tunnels, a maze of underground Viet Cong passageways.
- Explore incredible Angkor Wat, the world's largest religious structure.
- Board a private boat for a cruise down the Mekong River.
- Take in Vietnam’s stunning landscapes and pagodas on a day trip to Ninh Binh Province.
- Master two of South America’s classics, ceviche and pisco sours, at an interactive cooking class.
- Indulge at a farm-to-table meal in a local community.
- Discover centuries-old Andean textile methods in the Peruvian Andes.
- Wind through the Andes to Machu Picchu in a domed train.
- Stand tall in the “Middle of the World” at the Equatorial Line Monument and Museum.
- Embark on a 5-day cruise of the Galápagos Islands with a naturalist guide.
- Explore the fabled ruins of Machu Picchu.
- Be awestruck by giant tortoises at the Charles Darwin Research Station.
In order to see Travelstride Select deals you must sign in. We’ve negotiated with many of the world’s best travel companies to save you money! Get the best experiences, save up to $700 per person, and be a hero to your travel companions!
With FREE membership you:
- Save up to $700 per person!*
- Access private deals and offers
- See personalized trip recommendations
- Save favorite trips
Top Cultural Experiences
Visiting ancient temples such as Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom and Ta Phrom in Cambodia
Watching early morning ritual performance in Ganges River
Visiting archaeological sites and museum collection in Greece to learn about ancient Greek culture
Discovering monuments of Roman Empire in Italy
Visiting the Meiji Jingu Shrine in Tokyo, Japan
Watching the monks chant prayers in Taktsang Palphug Monastery also knows as “Tigers Nest,” in Bhutan
Cultural Trip Reviews
27,514 Cultural Tour Reviews - Summary 96% Recommend
All Cultural tours, river cruises, expedition cruises, and adventure trips. Find the best guided trips and expert planned vacation and holiday packages. Average rating of 4.7 for all Cultural trips.