Taiwan Real Food Adventure
- Dine at some legendary Taipei institutions, including the Din Tai Fung Restaurant and long-running Shin Yeh.
- Spend a couple of hours helping local ‘Sweet Potato Mamas’ ply their daily yam trade, a unique experience which also benefits single mothers through the Genesis Social Welfare Foundation.
- Take in the beauty of Sun Moon Lake from two wheels on an unforgettable bike ride around Taiwan’s stunning lagoon circuit.
- Enjoy several hands-on, behind-the-scenes food experiences in Yilan – visits to tea fields, a spring onion farm and a whisky distillery.
- Join a cooking class with the experts behind Make My Day Cooking Lab, with a local market tour included.
What's this trip about?
Welcome to Taipei! Upbeat, profoundly liveable and superbly located, Taiwan's capital is a thrill to explore on foot. If you arrive early, be sure to get out and about. Your adventure begins with a welcome meeting at 6 pm in the hotel lobby where you’ll meet your tour...
Travel by high-speed rail to Tainan. It’s a 2-hour journey to the island’s oldest city, widely regarded as the food capital of the South. Begin your day with a tasting walk along the ancient and famed Anping Old Street. This narrow and winding adventure will lead you ...
Your day begins with a visit to Chikan Lou, also known as Chikan Tower or Fort Provintia, one of the most important historic sites in Taiwan. Chinese-style towers sit atop a foundation initially built by Dutch colonials, creating a unique hybrid structure surrounded b...
After breakfast at the guesthouse, make tracks for Sun Moon Lake, Taiwan's only natural lagoon. It’s an excellent backdrop for some cycling, so today you’ll set out on a 1.5-hour bike ride around Sun Moon Lake, taking in the full beauty of the lake and its surrounding...
Head out of town this morning to a restaurant in Taoyuan. Here, you’ll learn to make xiao long bao (steam soup dumplings) in a DIY class. Originating in the Jiangnan region of China, these little flavour bombs can be tricky to create but are well-worth the effort. Und...
Get ready for a full day of behind-the-scenes food experiences in and around Yilan and Taipei. Begin in Yilan with a tea picking and tasting experience. Head to a nearby restaurant for a seasonal lunch, then continue to a spring onion farm. Here, you’ll learn the impo...
Travel by public transit to a genuine Taiwanese farmer’s market and marvel at the vast array of foods on offer, before learning about the local Sweet Potato Mama project in the late morning. As you’ll discover, the sweet potato is an important symbol in Taiwanese cult...
Today you’ll experience Taipei's 'Make My Day Cooking Lab', an amazing local cooking class operation that attracts people from all over the world. Join a master local chef and try your hand at some classic Taiwanese dishes in this fun, yet homely setting. The excursio...
Your Real Food Adventure comes to an end after breakfast. There are no planned activities today.
Your trip, your way, planned by an expert:
- You choose budget, destinations, activities, transport & lodging type
- Expert designs the itinerary for you, and once approved, takes care of logistics
Check Current Availability, prices, specials with Intrepid Travel.
The total tour cost includes the tour price (regular or promotional) and the compulsory local payment. The promotional price is subject to change. Check directly with the operator for the latest price offer. The tour operator requires you to pay only the tour price to purchase your travel. The compulsory local payment will be paid when you join the trip. All prices are based on double, twin or triple share occupancy. Solo passengers will be accommodated in a double, twin or triple room according to availability with a passenger(s) of the same gender. Single supplement only needs to be paid if the passenger does not want to share and requests their own room. Discounts can only be applied at the time of booking and cannot be added at a later date, regardless of any changes made to the original booking.
Prices may vary due to local taxes and trip seasonality. Click "Request Info" to inquire directly with the tour operator for the final trip price.
We joined the Intrepid “Real Italy Food…
We joined the Intrepid “Real Italy Food Tour” and enjoyed it thoroughly. Our tour guide, Micol, was very knowledgeable and provided us with lots of good information....
Central Asia Explorer
This was my third trip with Intrepid, and I'll continue to plan future trips with them. I choose Intrepid to travel to parts of the world where I don't feel comforta...
The Intrepid Travel Experience
If you’re looking for adventure, you’ve come to the right place. For the past 25 years, we’ve been taking small groups of travelers on unforgettable trips around the world. What makes them unforgettable? Take a look for yourself and discover the Intrepid experience.
Our travelers have three styles of tour to choose from: Basix, Original and Comfort. Each has a different level of inclusions and accommodation, but all have unforgettable real life experiences as part of the package. Travellers can also choose themed trips, such as Family, Sailing or Food, to suit their interests.
Our group size has an average of just ten travellers, which allows us to get off the beaten track, use local accommodation and transport, and really get to know the culture. It also ensures we are contributing to the local economy; by choosing local suppliers we were able to keep AUD 60 million in local economies in 2012. We’re also working hard to reduce our carbon footprint and were the first in our sector to introduce carbon offset trips. This, along with our many corporate sustainability activities, has meant we’re one of the travel industry’s leaders in responsible travel.
- Small groups - average of 10 people per trip
- Sustainability - pioneers for the industry
- Local leaders - authentic perspectives
- Local transport - get close and personal
- Local accommodation - experience real living
- Intrepid travelers - like-minded companions
Intrepid Travel has come a long way since its beginnings in 1989. From two university friends, a typewriter and a kitchen desk, it is now a proud member of The Intrepid Group, taking over 100,000 travelers every year.
Intrepid Travel is part of The Intrepid Group of companies, alongside leading small group adventure companies Peregrine, Urban Adventures and PEAK DMC.
Despite growing into a global business with over 1,000 staff based all over the world and over 800 different trips across every continent, we’ve remained devoted to the same grassroots values and responsible travel philosophies that we had at the very beginning.
On every trip we operate and in every interaction we have with a client, supplier or local, we live our core values everyday:
- Integrity – Doing the right thing
- Responsible – Think global, act local
- Growth – Stakeholders in our own success
- Innovation – Thriving on new ideas and embracing change
- Fun – It’s engrained into who we are and what we do
- Passion – We are inspired by the work we do and the trips we offer
Find your perfect trip
Transportation & Flights
Transportation & flights
- Save up to $700 per person
- Access members-only specials
- Personalize trip recommendations