Adventures in Northeast Greenland: Glaciers, Fjords and the Northern Lights
- With your expert expedition team by your side, spend time on the deck of your ship – the Ultramarine – and look out for Arctic wildlife like polar bears, seabirds, whales, muskoxen and seals.
- Look up as much as you can – there’s a high possibility of spotting the Northern Lights in Northeast Greenland! This incredible natural sight is sure to be a memory you hold forever.
- Cruise on Zodiac boats for daily onshore landings to small villages, where you can hike the tundra, visit Inuit communities and explore the breathtaking scenery.
- Soak in the striking landscapes of Kong Oscar Fjord, the autumn colours of the Bay of Flowers and the vast icebergs on the Bear Islands.
- Take all the opportunities to relax and recharge while at sea, with Ultramarine’s many luxurious amenities – grab a drink in the bar, dine in the restaurant, catch a movie at the theatre-style auditorium or get a wellness hit at the sauna and spa.
What's this trip about?
Velkominn! Welcome to Iceland. Your adventure begins in Reykjavik, the capital and largest city in the country, backdropped by the Esjan mountain range. When you arrive, check in to your hotel and then enjoy a free day to explore the city at your own pace. Maybe visit...
You have some free time this morning – maybe try a typical Icelandic breakfast of hafragrautur (thick oatmeal), skyr (yoghurt) with jam and bread with butter and cod liver oil. This afternoon, you’ll board your vessel and begin your expedition aboard the Ultramarine. You’ll meet your leader and expedition team on the ship and go through what to expect for your upcoming adventure.
Cruise north across the Denmark Strait, enjoying the views of Greenland in the distance. Your expedition team will prepare you for the adventures that await with a few short lectures and a safety briefing. Learn about the storied history and politics of the Arctic, as...
During your tour of Greenland’s remote northeast coast over the next few days, you’ll enjoy Zodiac cruises and shore visits to several locations. Keep an eye out for grazing muskoxen, as 40 per cent of the world’s population lives in Northeast Greenland National Park!...
As your Arctic adventure winds down, take in a presentation by your onboard experts and share your photos while you sip on icy cocktails in the bar. With the many activities available during your time at sea, you can also head to the theatre-style auditorium and watch a movie or get cosy in the spa. Your expedition team will also be on hand to answer any questions and point out wildlife.
You’ll disembark in Reykjavik, where your journey comes to an end. If you have booked post-expedition accommodation, you’ll take a transfer to central downtown. If you’d like to extend your stay in Iceland, just make sure to speak to your booking agent ahead of time.
Your trip, your way, planned by an expert:
- You choose budget, destinations, activities, transport & lodging type
- Expert designs the itinerary for you, and once approved, takes care of logistics
Check Current Availability, prices, specials with Intrepid Travel.
The total tour cost includes the tour price (regular or promotional) and the compulsory local payment. The promotional price is subject to change. Check directly with the operator for the latest price offer. The tour operator requires you to pay only the tour price to purchase your travel. The compulsory local payment will be paid when you join the trip. All prices are based on double, twin or triple share occupancy. Solo passengers will be accommodated in a double, twin or triple room according to availability with a passenger(s) of the same gender. Single supplement only needs to be paid if the passenger does not want to share and requests their own room. Discounts can only be applied at the time of booking and cannot be added at a later date, regardless of any changes made to the original booking.
Prices may vary due to local taxes and trip seasonality. Click "Request Info" to inquire directly with the tour operator for the final trip price.
We joined the Intrepid “Real Italy Food…
We joined the Intrepid “Real Italy Food Tour” and enjoyed it thoroughly. Our tour guide, Micol, was very knowledgeable and provided us with lots of good information....
Central Asia Explorer
This was my third trip with Intrepid, and I'll continue to plan future trips with them. I choose Intrepid to travel to parts of the world where I don't feel comforta...
The Intrepid Travel Experience
If you’re looking for adventure, you’ve come to the right place. For the past 25 years, we’ve been taking small groups of travelers on unforgettable trips around the world. What makes them unforgettable? Take a look for yourself and discover the Intrepid experience.
Our travelers have three styles of tour to choose from: Basix, Original and Comfort. Each has a different level of inclusions and accommodation, but all have unforgettable real life experiences as part of the package. Travellers can also choose themed trips, such as Family, Sailing or Food, to suit their interests.
Our group size has an average of just ten travellers, which allows us to get off the beaten track, use local accommodation and transport, and really get to know the culture. It also ensures we are contributing to the local economy; by choosing local suppliers we were able to keep AUD 60 million in local economies in 2012. We’re also working hard to reduce our carbon footprint and were the first in our sector to introduce carbon offset trips. This, along with our many corporate sustainability activities, has meant we’re one of the travel industry’s leaders in responsible travel.
- Small groups - average of 10 people per trip
- Sustainability - pioneers for the industry
- Local leaders - authentic perspectives
- Local transport - get close and personal
- Local accommodation - experience real living
- Intrepid travelers - like-minded companions
Intrepid Travel has come a long way since its beginnings in 1989. From two university friends, a typewriter and a kitchen desk, it is now a proud member of The Intrepid Group, taking over 100,000 travelers every year.
Intrepid Travel is part of The Intrepid Group of companies, alongside leading small group adventure companies Peregrine, Urban Adventures and PEAK DMC.
Despite growing into a global business with over 1,000 staff based all over the world and over 800 different trips across every continent, we’ve remained devoted to the same grassroots values and responsible travel philosophies that we had at the very beginning.
On every trip we operate and in every interaction we have with a client, supplier or local, we live our core values everyday:
- Integrity – Doing the right thing
- Responsible – Think global, act local
- Growth – Stakeholders in our own success
- Innovation – Thriving on new ideas and embracing change
- Fun – It’s engrained into who we are and what we do
- Passion – We are inspired by the work we do and the trips we offer
Find your perfect trip
- Save up to $700 per person
- Access members-only specials
- Personalize trip recommendations